Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Receiver for $500?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Receiver for $500?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-01, 08:37 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After analyzing my budget situation and knowing that I really need a new receiver before I blow up the piece of crap I have now, I decided the most I can spend on a new receiver is $500... and I want to get the best possible one with the most features for that amt of money.
What I know I want is as many s-video ins and digital ins as I can get (Yamahas usually have a lot if optical/coax inputs right?) (I need 1 for DVD, 1 for CD changer, 1 for video game and 1 for satelite box when I get it)

DD5.1 and DTS is a given, but I'm not too worried about DPL2. I was wanting something that can take a rear center too but with the size of my room and the fact that I won't be moving for a long time helped me to decide that I don't need that many speakers.. the 5 I have plus my old subwoofer will be good enough for me.

So, anyone know what a good receiver(s) would be to check out? I'll most likely be looking around at my local Tweeter this weekend, but for now is there any specific ones I should wanna look at?
Old 05-11-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sony STR-DB9-- (not sure what this newest generation is, but you may be able to find the 940 being cleared out).

It will have more inputs/outputs than the Yamaha (the exact reason I chose it over the Yamaha and Onkyo). Comes with a 2 year warranty. You should have no problems picking it up for about $450 shipped.

Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic decoding 110 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD learning/multibrand 2-way LCD remote with macro capability on-screen Graphical User Interface (direct video input required on TV) 4 digital inputs (3 optical, 1 coaxial) optical digital output 5.1-channel input stereo "analog direct" mode 4 audio, 5 A/V (including 4 S-video and 1 front-panel) inputs preamp outputs for all channels binding posts for all speakers aluminum front panel large filter capacitors, power supply, and output transistors separate processors for Dolby Digital/DTS (24-bit) & Digital Cinema Sound (32-bit) 30 AM/FM presets Control A1ii & S 17"W x 6-3/8"H x 16-1/2"D warranty: 2 years

Update: The latest Yamaha 5460 actually has more inputs. I would suggest definitely looking at it seriously as well.

[Edited by Nefarious on 05-11-01 at 06:55 AM]
Old 05-11-01, 08:56 AM
Banned

Stay away from Sony other than the ES line.

For a bit less than $500 I'd check out the Onkyo TXDS575X
Old 05-11-01, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually I just found the Sony ES-333 (This line is currently being cleared out too) for under $500.00

Five year warranty and 5 digital inputs.
Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic™ decoding
5 digital inputs (4 optical, 1 coaxial)
2 (32-bit) processors for Digital Cinema Sound; 1 (24-bit) for surround decoding
Virtual Matrix 6.1 mode uses 3D sound imaging to create a virtual rear center speaker
110 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
learning/multibrand 2-way LCD remote with macro capability
on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)
dual-room/dual-source stereo audio output
stereo "analog direct" mode
4 audio and 5 A/V (including 5 S-video and 1 front-panel) inputs
5.1-channel input
optical digital output
preamp outputs for all channels
frame-and-beam construction
dual cast aluminum heat sinks
large filter capacitors, power supply, and output transistors
aluminum front panel
Sony Control A1-II & S
17"W x 6-7/8"H x 16-5/8"D
warranty: 5 years

Old 05-11-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you can deal with a refurb, the denon avr3300 usually is had for under 500 at ubid.