Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about receivers...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about receivers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but please bear with me...

I currently have a 27 inch tv in my bedroom connected to a Toshiba SD2150 DVD player. For the audio, I am using my Sony Mini HiFi Cd player (just Pro-Logic). I have the audio outputs connected to the inputs of the Sony system, connected to the 5 speakers that it came with.

I am looking to get an entry level receiver (possibly http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=Current_Price ... any comments on that are also welcome). Would it be possible to connect the receiver to my system to use those speakers (to save money and room)?

I guess my question is if it would be possible for the receiver to 'bypass' the pro logic of the sony system and just use those speakers to get DD or DTS?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks.
Old 05-06-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, you seem a bit confused up there, but I think I may be able to shed some light on your problem.

I'm guessing, that the MD system is pretty small? And if it's only Pro Logic, well, I don't think the speakers will be able to handle the 100x5 that receiver you were looking at will push.

You're best bet, being on a budget, is looking at Kenwoods HTB-503. You get the receiver and all 5 speakes and a sub. I think it would be your best bet.
Old 05-06-01, 11:39 PM

http://www.sonystyle.com/sonystyle/4...6.default.html

that is a newer model of what i have, but it is basically the same. the surround speakers are a differnt shape, but about that size.

so my speakers wouldn't be able to handle that much power?

and if they could, would what i want to do be physically possible (connecting the receiver to the cd player to use the speakers, but not the pro-logic)???

i would even consider getting the kenwood, but i don't think i would have room. i already have 2 large speakers next to the tv, one on top, and 2 on the wall behind me. to add another 5 to that might be kind of overboard.

thanks for the reply.
Old 05-07-01, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gev115

so my speakers wouldn't be able to handle that much power?
I think there's a chance they could handle the power, assuming you were very careful about not playing them too loud (listening for the first sign of distortion). The real problem, as I see it, is that these speakers will probably never sound significantly better than they do now. They were built to be in the system they're currently in. While adding a new receiver will give you more flexibility, stereo vs. mono in the rear, it's not going to sound that much better, since these speakers aren't capable of much more than they're doing right now.

and if they could, would what i want to do be physically possible (connecting the receiver to the cd player to use the speakers, but not the pro-logic)???
How are your speakers connected to the mini-system right now? Are the wires detachable (spring clips, etc.)? Or are they hard-wired? If they're hard wired, you really don't want to be snipping and splicing wires; this will render the mini-system useless (unless you splice the original speakers back at a later date). If the wires are detachable at the speaker end, it shouldn't be that difficult to hook them up to a new receiver -- although they probably won't accept heavier guage wire.

i would even consider getting the kenwood, but i don't think i would have room. i already have 2 large speakers next to the tv, one on top, and 2 on the wall behind me. to add another 5 to that might be kind of overboard.
What are the 2 large speakers you have next to the tv? Are they the speakers you've been talking about? If you add another 5 speakers, you might considering selling/storing/giving away/moving to another room your mini-system.
Old 05-07-01, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by stevevt
What are the 2 large speakers you have next to the tv? Are they the speakers you've been talking about? If you add another 5 speakers, you might considering selling/storing/giving away/moving to another room your mini-system. [/B]
Yeah, I think most people would recommend ditching the mini system in favor of the new receiver, but if you want both, you'll have to have two sets of speakers. If you're not willing to do that yet, then I would suggest sticking with the mini system until you can buy a new CD player and the receiver all at once.

I'm not sure why you're so attached to that mini system, though. Why not scrap it, buy a receiver, connect the DVD player to the receiver, connect your current speakers to the receiver, and listen to DVDs and CDs on your DVD player? You should be able to use the current speakers without a problem, but the speakers are probably not that great and you'll eventually want to replace them, like stevevt said.

I think you might be confused -- suggesting that you connect the receiver to the mini hifi and using the mini hifi speakers. The receiver can power a set of speakers by itself, so you don't need the hifi anymore. You can just disconnect the speakers from the hifi, throw it in a closet, and then connect the speakers to your brand new DD/DTS receiver. Is that what you're asking?

[Edited by DigIt on 05-07-01 at 07:53 AM]
Old 05-07-01, 06:59 PM

I think there's a chance they could handle the power, assuming you were very careful about not playing them too loud (listening for the first sign of distortion). The real problem, as I see it, is that these speakers will probably never sound significantly better than they do now. They were built to be in the system they're currently in. While adding a new receiver will give you more flexibility, stereo vs. mono in the rear, it's not going to sound that much better, since these speakers aren't capable of much more than they're doing right now.
ok, that is a problem. if it won't improve the sound that much, there is no point to me doing this.

How are your speakers connected to the mini-system right now? Are the wires detachable (spring clips, etc.)? Or are they hard-wired? If they're hard wired, you really don't want to be snipping and splicing wires; this will render the mini-system useless (unless you splice the original speakers back at a later date). If the wires are detachable at the speaker end, it shouldn't be that difficult to hook them up to a new receiver -- although they probably won't accept heavier guage wire.
The wires are detachable. I could plug them straight into the reciever, but I would still like to use the mini system.

I think you might be confused -- suggesting that you connect the receiver to the mini hifi and using the mini hifi speakers. The receiver can power a set of speakers by itself, so you don't need the hifi anymore. You can just disconnect the speakers from the hifi, throw it in a closet, and then connect the speakers to your brand new DD/DTS receiver. Is that what you're asking?
I understand I can use the speakers. I want to keep using the mini system however, so I was hoping I could connect the reciever to the mini system so both the receiver and the mini system could use the speakers (in an effort to save money and space).

I would like to keep the mini system. It has 50 cd's (which is good for me cause I'm lazy) and works well for cd's. I was just hoping the speakers would be good enough for DD and I could connect a reciever and keep using the mini system to the existing speakers.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hope this cleared my problem up.
Old 05-08-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would like to keep the mini system. It has 50 cd's (which is good for me cause I'm lazy) and works well for cd's. I was just hoping the speakers would be good enough for DD and I could connect a reciever and keep using the mini system to the existing speakers.
Makes sense. I say you wait until you can purchase a receiver and CD changer at the same time, and then completely swap the systems.
Old 05-09-01, 05:58 PM

*BUMP*

I think I might have a new idea. I was looking at the mini system and there is a digital output (for a MD player). Would I be able to plug that into a digital input on a receiver? I could then plug the speakers straight into the receiver.

Any ideas? Would that work? Thanks.
Old 05-10-01, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The digital out is probably only for the CD player, but yes, it sounds like that would work. You'd be able to use the CD changer on your new receiver.