Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone
I am kind of new to the whole home theater thing, and I was looking for some suggestions on what is the best kind to get. A friend of mine told me that I could get a whole system on line for about 500. Does anyone know where, or if that is even true?
Old 05-06-01, 08:18 PM
Banned

That really depends on what you already have.

I'm guessing you have a TV.

Do you have a DVD Player as well?

There are what is known as a home theater in a box which basically has a receiver, 5 speakers, and a powered subwoofer - these can be found for $500 and under - but the speakers usually suck.

There are also units that have a receiver with a built in DVD player and the speakers as well - I'm not a big fan of these either, they are a bit more but there are a couple that will come in under $700.

E-Mail me at [email protected] and I'll help ya out

Dave

Old 05-07-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're really interested in saving money and you don't know anything about home theater, I would suggest you get the Kenwood HTB-503 (or similar model) home-theater-in-a-box, which will include a Dolby-Digital/DTS/Pro-Logic receiver, 5 speakers, and a subwoofer. If you need a DVD player as well, I would recommend the Sony 360 model, which is good quality and fairly reliable, and should be easy-to-operate for a new user. Toshiba's are a little less expensive and also a popular recommendation.

Expect to spend around $700 total for these items. The receiver is good enough that you can start to upgrade speakers in the future if you so desire.

Like DPSinPA said, there are also DVD player/receiver all-in-one combination units, but in my opinion are not as good a choice, since if either the DVD player or the receiver portion breaks, you'll have to replace both units, instead of just one or the other. Separate components is the way to go.