Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Subwoofer setup question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer setup question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-01, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The relevant equipment:
Onkyo 575 receiver
Velodyne CT-80 subwoofer
Tannoy tower speakers (model escapes me)

When I setup my HT about a year ago, I wired the sub via the subwoofer output on the receiver. The front speakers were wired directly from the receiver. I chose the "Large" speaker option on the receiver's setup menu.

This satisfied me HT-wise. But I became curious about a few things. First, the receiver does not send a signal to the subwoofer in 2 channel stereo--naturally. I wanted it to though, so I wired my fronts through the subwoofer. (I still have the "Large" speakers selected.) This--I think--allowed me to use the previously unused(?) option of taking advantage of the sub's internal crossover. It also enabled the sub to fire while listening to 2 channel stereo. So, I think the new setup is better. But, I wondered: if the subwoofer is only wired through the LRs, and not the subwoofer output, am I not getting the .1 from 5.1? What if I had the sub connected both ways simultaneously? Would any of this be different if I had satellite fronts? Am I missing something?

Any input will be appreciated.
Old 04-26-01, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Your receiver should definitely send a signal to your sub via the sub output in 2 channel stereo. Even the low end receivers do this. Have you looked through the manual regarding this? By not using the sub out on the receiver you are missing out on the LFE channel during 5.1 playback.

On my receiver(Denon) everything has it's own settings so for 2 channel stereo I have to set the speaker/sub output. Is it possible that maybe you don't have something set correctly for speaker/sub output while in 2 channel mode?

I would be very supprised if it doesn't output in 2 channel stereo. I would try setting your speakers to small and see if that helps.

By the way Tannoys are great speakers. I use Tannoy Studio 800s. Best speaker I have ever listened to.
Old 04-26-01, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree - your receiver probably should send some info to the sub in Stereo mode.

As far as 5.1, the LFE is supposed to be routed to the R/L channels when you have "no" subwoofer and "large" speakers. Selecting either "yes" sub or "small" speakers should drop the LFE from the R/L channel. So make sure you told the receiver you have "no" sub if it's hooked up to the speaker outputs.
Old 04-26-01, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DigIt
As far as 5.1, the LFE is supposed to be routed to the R/L channels when you have "no" subwoofer and "large" speakers. Selecting either "yes" sub or "small" speakers should drop the LFE from the R/L channel. So make sure you told the receiver you have "no" sub if it's hooked up to the speaker outputs.
DigIt is correct - if your mains are wired to the sub, select "No" or "Off" for sub and "Large" for at least your main speakers in the receiver setup to send the LFE signal to the mains AND sub
Old 04-26-01, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree - your receiver probably should send some info to the sub in Stereo mode.
Even with my prior connection--with the mains not routed through the sub?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dr. Dank
DigIt is correct - if your mains are wired to the sub, select "No" or "Off" for sub and "Large" for at least your main speakers in the receiver setup to send the LFE signal to the mains AND sub.

Even without the direct sub hookup to the .1 channel? What's happening now, with it hooked up both ways?

Old 04-26-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you have the sub set to "No" in the stereo mode?
I have the 575X (and the CT-80), and my sub does work in 2CH audio unless I set it to "no".
(I'm using the sub pre-out to connect it)
Old 04-27-01, 07:23 AM
Banned

To get the .1 LFE you MUST use the subwoofer output on your receiver. Also your .1 channel is not in stereo - all the low frequencies are sent there regardless of if they wqere from the left or right, front or rear. notice its .1 one means mono

hookying your sub your to your receivers speaker level outputs and then hookign your speakers up to your receiver - you are missing the .1 LFE channel
Old 04-27-01, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DPSinPA
hookying your sub your to your receivers speaker level outputs and then hookign your speakers up to your receiver - you are missing the .1 LFE channel
That's what I thought. But, hooked up to the speaker outputs and the sub out, do I get both?

Old 04-27-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kromax
Even with my prior connection--with the mains not routed through the sub?
Yes -- at least I would think so. Maybe not as extensive as .1, but still easily noticeable.

Even without the direct sub hookup to the .1 channel? What's happening now, with it hooked up both ways?
With it hooked up to your Sub Out, the LFE is routed there by selecting "yes". The .1 channel is output directly to the sub, and it's the only information that it gets. (Also, we all think you should be getting some bass info there too when your receiver is in Stereo mode.)

If you choose "no", then the receiver doesn't send the .1 to the Sub Out. Instead, it checks to see what size speakers you have up front. If they're "small", it drops the .1 because it doesn't want to harm your speakers. If they're "large", then the .1 is supposed be sent to them.*

Now, if you've got your sub hooked up before the main speakers, the subwoofer will 'extract' that .1 and pass along the rest. You should set the crossover so that the sub and mains complement each other. This is where it might sound tricky: even if you have small satellites, you should still set the receiver to "large", because the subwoofer needs that information.

*The problem is that some receivers might just throw out the LFE when you select "no", instead of routing it to the mains. That seems to be what DPSinPA is saying. I suggest you experiment around, may run a test disc to see what frequencies you're getting. At any rate, I wouldn't hook up your sub to BOTH the Sub Out and Speaker Out -- choose one or the other.

edclem has a good idea too: check to see if your receiver has separate subwoofer settings for DD and Stereo -- maybe one is "yes" but the other is "no".

I'm no expert on this stuff, you should probably read up on the latest -- but you ought to be getting subwoofer action in stereo mode even if the sub is connected to the Sub Out.
Old 04-27-01, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kromax

Originally posted by Dr. Dank
DigIt is correct - if your mains are wired to the sub, select "No" or "Off" for sub and "Large" for at least your main speakers in the receiver setup to send the LFE signal to the mains AND sub.

You should have it hooked up one way or the other, not both

All I can say is this:

I have a Denon AVR 3300 & Polk mains & sub. I originally connected my sub using a cable from the receiver sub out to the sub LFE in (rec'r settings: mains "Large", sub "Yes"), but I felt that I wasn't getting the best blend of bass between sub & mains. So, I disconnected the sub cable, wired the sub speaker in to the rec'r main out, and connected the mains to the sub speaker out (rec'r settings: mains "Large", sub "No"). This setup now allows me to use the sub's internal crossover, which was bypassed using the straight sub cable connection, and voila...better bass all around

Setting the sub to "Off" or "No" redirects the LFE signal to any speaker defined as "Large", it shouldn't kill it all together. To test your setup to see if the sub is playing anything in 2 CH stereo, play something and turn the sub power off...if you notice the bass weaken suddenly, your sub is receiving a signal