Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I have a Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey All,

I am having the imfamous "Hissing" problem with my SONY Home Theatre Receiver, DE-545. I am going to get a better gauge speaker wire, (moving and need more wire) I am pretty sure that everything is grounded. I have narrowed it down tot he receiver.

What do you think my best course of action would be? It is still under warranty. (I bought it from 800.com during the Passport 20% deal+ $50 GC, over the summer last year)

I tried ignoring the problem, but it is driving me nuts now! I live in Towson MD, any ideas of what i should do? Is it worth finding a Sony store and trying to work out a deal? Should i send it away and get it fixed?

-pedagogue

ps. I would rather not just buy another receiver because i don't have the $$ for it. Also, i already have a kenwood receiver (Not DTS) that i gave to the 'rents.
Old 04-25-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if you read the reviews at http://www.audioreview.com , this is a common problem with some sony receivers.

i'd probably exchange it for a new sony...or maybe look at some competing brands.

cranky.
Old 04-25-01, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cranky is right about the Sony "DE" line.

You might want to post this in the "Home Theater Hardware" forum. You'll probably get a better response. Also, try doing a search in that forum for "hiss".
Old 04-25-01, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd exchange it if I were you. The DE line has A LOT of problems. Go with the DB series. I have the DB930 and I love it. There's a DB940 out now, too. Check out the reviews for those two models at audioreview.

I got my 930 two years ago from oade.com for $300.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-01, 04:56 PM

I called Sony today, and didn't even have to wait. My STD-DE545 has a small amount of hissing if the sound is muted. If I crank the volume up to say 25 it increases slightly, but only when muted. I can't seem to hear it during a DVD playback. The Sony Rep. said that this is possible with a lower guage wire, which I use 14 guage. He even said that the amp noise I was hearing is probably found in all their Receivers, not just the 545.

Hope this helps

SAINTSFAN