Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Where do you buy your equipment?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Where do you buy your equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I was just curious, do most of you purchase your components from local stores or do you do online shopping. I am shopping around for a cheap system and right now have found these locally: Energy Take 5, Paradigm Micro, Def Tech and PC100. I was also interested in listening to PSB Imagine and the JBL's that Phil mentions. So if anyone can recommend a good online store I would appreciate having the opportunity to compare prices.
THanks
Old 04-21-01, 07:31 AM
Cool New Member

Tweeter

Old 04-21-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on where I find the cheapest price usually. If it is online I go online, but since most online deals are all dried up I usually just hit Best Buy.
Old 04-21-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no way in hell I would spend a substantial amount of money on audio equipment before I heard it first. You can have the greatest specs in the world on paper, but that doesn't mean your ears are going to agree.
Find a reputable local dealer and get to know them, and you should be able to audition equipment in your home before buying, which is the best way (IMHO) to do things.
Old 04-21-01, 10:07 AM
Suspended

I get everything at Tweeter, except my speakers (JBL NSP1)that I got at Best Buy since Tweeter didn't carry them and I couldn't afford the good speakers Tweeter has anyway

I'm gonna be getting a new receiver soon so once Tweeter gets the DPL2 ones in stock I'll give them a listen, they have nice setups for audio testing
Old 04-21-01, 10:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I usually perform a search on CNet and buy it at whoever has the lowest prices.
Old 04-21-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Main system:
pre/pro - local store
dvd player - local store
main amp - local store
surround amp - used thru local classifieds
multi-room amp - online
(5) speakers - local store
tv - from a friend
vcr - local store
racks - local store

Bedroom system
receiver/dvd player - online
cd player - local store
vcr - local store
main speakers - used thru local classifieds
surround speakers - local store
Old 04-21-01, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm with DVD_O_Rama; i almost always but from a local hi-fi specality store. even though the prices are sometimes a bit higher, i like the service:

* they let me borrow equipment for a weekend;
* provide loaners when equipment is in for repair;
* provide good advice;
* allow me to trade-in equipment (e.g. full value on speakers w/in one year);
* they're nice people to work with.

i sometimes buy used equipment online when i can't find what i want locally (never had a bad experience); i've purchased from the stereo trading outlet and saturday audio exchange, among others.

i've also ordered online from HSU Research (they are very nice people to deal with and offer great service) and Audio Advisor (for small items or when something i want is on sale).
Old 04-21-01, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
There is no way in hell I would spend a substantial amount of money on audio equipment before I heard it first. You can have the greatest specs in the world on paper, but that doesn't mean your ears are going to agree.
Find a reputable local dealer and get to know them, and you should be able to audition equipment in your home before buying, which is the best way (IMHO) to do things.

I totally agree. i just can't imagine purchasing major audio/video equipment online without listening, or seeing a demostration of the unit that you are potentially buying. i always purchase my equipment from a dealer, where i can hear, and see in person what i am buying for my money. heck! that's like buying a new or used car sight unseen without even test driving it first.

[Edited by SINGLE104 on 04-21-01 at 11:06 AM]
Old 04-22-01, 05:53 AM

Hey thanks for the advice.
What if you are able to hear what a system sounds like, but find it cheaper online. Do you feel comfortable with online purchases like that? The only reason is that I live in an area with a limited number of stores that sell this type of product and the prices at the B&M are way more than online (EX: Take 5's are around 550). I've found Energy, Def Tech and Paradigm so far. Thats about all I can listen to in person (besides Radio Shack or Sears type of stuff). So if I wanted to check out other things I need to keep the internet option open, if not, I'm stuck with just those three brands to purchase from.
Old 04-22-01, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ultimately this is a question you will have to answer for yourself.

for me the answer is situational. for example, if a store invests significant time helping me or they loan me equipment i always buy from them---even if they won't negotiate on price. i look at the extra money as insurance against buying a product that isn't right for me. in the long run, building a solid relationship with a good store will save you time and money.

but if the store personnel were rude or unhelpful, then i feel no obligation to reward that store with my purchase.

Old 04-24-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do a combination of both. With big ticket items I want to demo first, I will most certainly use a local store that is willing to negotiate. However, I know I will pay a slightly higher price for service.

However, for a more generic, lower ticket item, I have no problem using an etailer... However, I won't buy from an unathorized seller. I don't want warranty issues
Old 04-26-01, 09:14 AM
Cool New Member

I have not quite gotten to the point of having a ton of money to spend on high end equipment yet, so I am still in the range of buying consumer products that you can find at B&M stores. However, I usually go to the stores, listen and test the products and thn buy from Crutchfield. They normally have great customer service and are always willing to answer qustions. They have good prices and back up their equipment very well. They normally have stuffed shipped and to you house with 3 days. Worthwhile looking into.
Old 04-27-01, 04:49 AM

I agree with DVD-O-Rama.At least go and listen to what your interested in first and compare.Then once you choose,go online and find the best price & warranty.
Old 04-27-01, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I purchased my equipment at Paragon Audio Video in Madison, WI. I listened to several setups before I made my $1500 decision, and talked to home audio experts to find out which system would be best for me.

Old 04-27-01, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Puddy
Paragon Audio Video in Madison.
Great store! Lousy hours, but great store. You might try Happy Medium on State Street, too. I've found that they are generally helpful, and are willing to spend a few minutes conversing.
Old 04-27-01, 06:41 PM

Hi Fi House-Broomall PA

Dave Mason is The best in the business. I go in, decide what I want, Dave give me a price, I shop it around and I go back because it is usually the best price anywhere. I deal with him, for 6% pa tax, it is not worth goiing to Delaware. Dave is worth it.
Old 04-28-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kelly2exp
Tweeter

Same Here.