Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Could someone in Canada help me with a Redbox DVD?

DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Old 12-22-14, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in the "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures: Pac to the Future" DVD, which is a Redbox Canada exclusive. You can see it here:

http://www.redbox.ca/movies/pac-man-...-to-the-future

Redbox in America had a couple of the other "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures" DVDs, but they never had the "Pac to the Future" one. So I need someone in Canada to get it for me.

I clicked on the "Hold for Pickup" button and searched for various cities. It's available at kiosks in Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Halifax. It's not available in Toronto, Quebec and Winnipeg. It might be available in other cities that I didn't search for.

According to Redbox.ca help (http://www.redbox.ca/help), they will charge you $30 plus tax if you don't return a DVD. Based on my research, sales tax in Canada varies, but isn't higher than 15%. I also found some sellers on Ebay who will ship a DVD from Canada to the US for $1.50 using "Canada Post Light Packet".

So $30 for the DVD + $4.50 for sales tax + $1.50 for shipping to the US = $36 Canadian.

$36 Canadian is equivalent to $31.06 US:
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?f...=USD&amount=36

So I could PayPal someone in Canada $35 US to go to Redbox and pick up and ship the DVD to me. I'll PayPal you in advance. Please PM me if you are willing to do this.
Old 12-22-14, 09:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Could someone in Canada help me with a Redbox DVD?

I'm not sure your math adds up.
Yes you get charged $30 if you keep the disc, but that's after paying $1.50 + tax for 20 days first. As far as I can tell, even if you tell them the disc is lost or damaged, they'll still charge you for 20 days before they charge you the $30 replacement cost.
So your total is really $60 + $9 tax + shipping.
I've shipped discs out of the country before and I have no doubt that shipping is typically way more expensive than $1.50. In fact, here's the page on the service you listed: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/abo...ght_packet.jsf
$3.79 CAD minimum, and it could be more if it weighs more due to the redbox case. That doesn't include the envelope either.
Plus the time and effort... And I doubt anyone would do this for less than $100.

I'd do it for $150.
Old 12-22-14, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm not sure your math adds up.
Yes you get charged $30 if you keep the disc, but that's after paying $1.50 + tax for 20 days first. As far as I can tell, even if you tell them the disc is lost or damaged, they'll still charge you for 20 days before they charge you the $30 replacement cost.
So your total is really $60 + $9 tax + shipping.
No, I am 100% certain that you'll pay only $1.50 for 20 days (for a total of $30 plus tax) if you never return the disc. I have done this on 2 occasions myself.

I've shipped discs out of the country before and I have no doubt that shipping is typically way more expensive than $1.50. In fact, here's the page on the service you listed: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/abo...ght_packet.jsf
$3.79 CAD minimum, and it could be more if it weighs more due to the redbox case. That doesn't include the envelope either.
Plus the time and effort... And I doubt anyone would do this for less than $100.
The Redbox cases I've seen are smaller and thinner than a regular DVD jewel box. But I can increase the amount for shipping. I was hoping someone who already rents from Redbox could just go pick it up at the same time they went to rent a movie.

I'd do it for $150.
How about $40 US ($46.50 Canadian)? If anyone is OK with that, please PM me.
Old 12-22-14, 10:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by sldvd
No, I am 100% certain that you'll pay only $1.50 for 20 days (for a total of $30 plus tax) if you never return the disc. I have done this on 2 occasions myself.
I contacted redbox.ca, and I guess you're right. It's the wording in the FAQ that made it sound different.

Since I've never gone over a single day, I didn't realize that you don't get charged day by day. Just the total when you return the disc. If you don't return it, that fee applies. Makes sense. I was confused.

I didn't mean to sound antagonistic about it. Just skeptical. I hope you find someone who can help you out. My closest redbox doesn't have it.