DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

www.swaptree.com

Old 11-19-09, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.swaptree.com

Anyone try www.swaptree.com to trade DVDs? I joined up near a month ago and have done 4 trades already. Initially your allowed 2 trades and as you get + feedback, they give you more trade slots up to a total of 20 ongoing trades at 1 time.

It is free to signup and do trades, all you do is add your DVDs, games, CDs or books to your have list then add items your looking for to your want list. To swap high value itmes (DVD box sets and PS3 and X-Box 360 games) you need to enter a CC number though they don't charge you anything, its just for validation. No Blu-Ray trading right now though. They use a system that calculates 3-way trades which makes even more items available. It is a US only site, but I use my sisters address in the US and have stuff shipped to her.

The site's not perfect, but one of the best trading sites I have come across. Definately worth a try.
Old 11-19-09, 12:23 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: www.swaptree.com

How does this compare with Goozex?
Old 11-19-09, 12:41 PM

Here's is why I think it is a better site than Goozex.

1. Its free to do trades (no trade tokens to buy)

2. Rather than trading your items for points, then waiting in Queue for a DVD you want to purchase with those points (which can sometimes be a long while), Swaptree's trades are based on what is currently in member's want and trade lists. The site will automatically match up and send you trade requests based on this, then you can accept or refuse them. This really makes it easier to get what you want. You can also browse whats available and initiate trades manually (even for stuff not on your want list).

3. Swaptree does something called a 3-way trade. This invloves 3 trading partners, so you will be sending your item to a different person than who your receiving your wanted item from. This really opens up the availability of the movies in your want list.

These are just my thoughts, but I highly recomend the site for everyone to try themselves. You can even print postage through the site that has delivery confirmation (if you want).

Like I said though its not perfect. How you rate condition of your items is similar to Goozex where you check off an option - Like New, Excellent, Very Good, etc. but it also has a blank field where you can enter details and such (which is good!). The only problem i find is that many people don't enter anything in the blank field, which sucks as i am super picky on condition and always want to know if the disc has any scratches. I guess this is the chance you take with any online trade though.

Also it can be tough to communicate with other members through Private messages. This is because by default, everyones profile is setup to not accept incoming messages. You have to change this in your profile and most members don't know this or bother. So if you have questions for someone, you have to add them as a friend and include the message you want for them (if they don't have messages turned on). Also for some reason there's no way to set a preference to get an email notice when someone sends you a PM or adds you as a friend. You just have to login to your account and check all the time, so many messages i have sent seem to go unnoticed.
Old 11-19-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chadurban View Post
Swaptree does something called a 3-way
As long as it include 2 girls, not 2 guys...

Old 11-19-09, 03:05 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds interesting, thanks!
Old 11-19-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will give it a shot maybe I can find some Argento films that way.
Old 11-19-09, 09:59 PM

Swaptree pretty much sucks.

You'll mostly receive ex-rentals or DVDs that are in poor shape. People don't rate their DVDs honestly. I'll get "like new" DVDs that look worse than library copies -- covers messed up, discs scratched, etc.

Also, swaptree doesn't log their DVDs correctly. I traded for what I thought was going to be a Criterion copy of The Lady Vanishes because that was what was listed. However, it was a crappy copy you could get for $2. I tried to put the DVD back on swaptree with the correct ISBN, but it STILL listed my public domain DVD as Criterion.

It's not trustworthy. So far I'm liking Swap A DVD. I get a lot of new, sealed stuff on there and there's more selection. It's also easier to navigate.
Old 11-20-09, 09:24 AM

I agree. I've used Swaptree a couple of times for books, but quickly lost interest when everything started coming up as three-way trades, most of which would simply time out or one of the other two traders would turn down the trade. Too much work for so little selection. SwapaDVD is the better site. It takes a little time to sit in a queue, but you'll actually get the item you want without being denied. The sister sites -- SwapaCD and Paperbackswap are pretty good, too, and you transfer credits between them.
Old 11-22-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

which site has the most selection and quality of dvds/blu rays and cheapest to trade?
Old 11-22-09, 07:15 PM

no HD DVD support. Not good for me right now. thank though