Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Goozex - Movie Trading Site Introduction

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 10:34 AM
Goozex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I wanted to give a quick introduction about Goozex, repeat the details of the current promotion here on DVDTalk, and help answer any questions you guys may have.

For the past three years Goozex has been known as the place to get the best value for your video games, trade them with other members, earn Goozex Points, and get other games for only $1. In August we extended our trading service into movie trading. We now support movie trading for DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and UMD formats for US and Canadian members.

In short, Goozex connects members across the country and let's them trade their movies and games for Goozex Points, which they can use to get other items for only $1. We are a hassle-free service and we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service in case you need it.

The pricing of movies and games is done by our patented algorithm and takes into account internal supply & demand, msrp of the item, and release date. And how it works is pretty simple. Let's say you offer Dark Knight on DVD. The system will automatically match you with a buyer and after you agree to send the movie we will transfer 200 points, the current price of the movie, from the buyer account to yours. At the same time you offered Dark Knight, let's say you requested Iron Man, which is valued at 150 points. With the 200 points earned for sending Dark Knight you will get matched with a seller for Iron Man and someone will send you their copy directly. You keep Iron Man and do with it as you want -- it is now your copy!

Real quick about the promo we are running here. Through October 12, 2009 we are running a PlayStation 3 Slim + three copies of X-Men Origins: Wolverine giveaway contest. On October 13, 2009 we will select the random winners and notify them by email. It is real easy to enter in the contest. Simply go to Goozex.com and use coupon code: DVDTalk at sign-up.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that pop up here and you can always follow us on twitter.com/goozex

Happy trading!
-Goozex
Old 09-30-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Goozex - Movie Trading Site Introduction

I might have to check this out. Thanks for posting on here. I really had no idea what the site was.
Old 09-30-09, 11:10 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the check availability for username and nickname broken? I can't find anything available.
Old 09-30-09, 11:24 AM
Goozex

Originally Posted by JB7
Is the check availability for username and nickname broken? I can't find anything available.
Not to my knowledge. If you want you can post your desired username/nickname and I can see if it is already taken.
Old 09-30-09, 11:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I signed up. I'm a little bummed I can only put up two items for trade initially, but I understand the reasoning.
Old 09-30-09, 11:47 AM
Cool New Member

Looks like a solid site. Signed up and it seem to be going pretty well so far.

One suggestion, I've noticed a lack of Steelbook options for both DVD and Blu-Ray. Steelbooks tend to be worth more than their regular case counterparts, so for those trying to trade Steelbooks, there's nothing to choose at the moment.

Thanks, and I look forward to using the site!
Old 09-30-09, 12:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Goozex is great at first...but you soon realize that all the good movies have a 10+ waiting list on them and no one is offering them up. I've shipped out 9 movies and received 3 back while I have thousands of points and my 'want' list looks like it will never shrink. Just realize that you may be sitting on points for a while. The only chance you have of getting a movie is logging in right when they get added to the site (if they get added - they tend to not do everything) and hope you get in first spot.

Again great idea, but they need to work something out because I took down just about all my movies because I'm not going to pay $2 to ship them out and sit on thousands of worthless points.
Old 09-30-09, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
I signed up. I'm a little bummed I can only put up two items for trade initially, but I understand the reasoning.
As you as those 2 are 'received' you get to do 3 at a time, then 5 etc. It goes fast.
Old 09-30-09, 12:53 PM

I've got some stuff that's worth high point value, as long as I could get some wants this seems like it might work.

My question is how is condition screened? Do you get to describe the condition or is everything "mint"? Because I keep my stuff mint but I know many others do not.

And lastly, what are the chances that I could ever get something like Peeping Tom Criterion off this site? Is there a way I can see how many have been traded in the past year or something? Because honestly my wants are not "high traffic" DVDs.
Old 09-30-09, 12:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You can click any title and see it's trading history. Peeping Tom (Criterion) has never been traded, for example.
Old 09-30-09, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
You can click any title and see it's trading history. Peeping Tom (Criterion) has never been traded, for example.
Thanks, didn't see that tab
Old 09-30-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just joined and sent out two trades. Just shipped Ghostbusters 360 and House Season 4, hoping the buyers provide quick feedback.

Gizmo seems right about a lot of the brand new stuff, but if you're looking for reasonable deals on stuff like TV shows and fairly recent games it looks pretty stocked.
Old 09-30-09, 02:36 PM

Since I don't think the original post didn't mention it, you use the same point pool for games as movies, so if you wanted to pick up some games, you can trade in movies for the points, and vice versa.

If anyone has any questions about the site, feel free to message me. I've been on there a long time and have more trades than almost anyone.

As for the condition question previously asked, the disc condition is not explicitly addressed when placing something up for trade other than the obvious presumption "it works without problems."

Its actually surprising, the dvds traded there are almost always in near-mint condition (the same can not necessarily be said of games).

The differentiation that IS made my traders offering their items is the option to ship disc only, disc and manual, or "full package." Which is fundamentally the "mint" option.

If someone intentionally or unintentionally screws you on a trade, goozex is also impressively proactive on solving the problem, way more than other, similar sites.

That's all I can think of. Like I said : any questions, I'm all ears.
Old 09-30-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by savagepastry
Its actually surprising, the dvds traded there are almost always in near-mint condition (the same can not necessarily be said of games).
It is hit or miss. I have been on there for a month and have received one dvd in which the packaging was fine but the disc itself looked like it was rubbed with steel wool.
Old 09-30-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kory
I might have to check this out. Thanks for posting on here. I really had no idea what the site was.
i concur.

please take this as constructive criticism gooz-person ...

...but what kind of site can you claim to be when you have to come in here and post how to use your site? i consider myself of (more or less) average intelligence and competence, but i had to read and re-read the so-called instructions, faqs, and help forum before i felt that maybe i understand what goozex does.

and how does dvdtalk partner with a sponsor so vague?

furthermore, it seems the same questions pop up on the goozex forum too. does goozex not get the point lol? i am guessing not, but am i and perhaps kory the only ones that feels this way?

ok rant over
Old 09-30-09, 07:32 PM
Suspended

Goozex paid Internet Brands to advertise. DVDTalk really has no say anymore since Geoff sold the site off.

As for Goozex...I was confused as well. Luckily others were willing to help me figure it out. While a great idea, I wish more people would offer up movies.
Old 09-30-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Goozex paid Internet Brands to advertise. DVDTalk really has no say anymore since Geoff sold the site off...
i understand the sponsorship and dont think negative of it in any way. but i dont see why dvdtalk has no say in who it partners with and what and how a partner says and sells. for example:

goozex: we would like to be a sponsor on your fab site!
dvdtalk: that sounds great! tell me what you do?
goozex: see our site and you will see what we do.
dvdtalk: er... so what do you do?
and imho, thats where this should have been resolved. but you already know this arg
Old 09-30-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Goozex is great at first...but you soon realize that all the good movies have a 10+ waiting list on them and no one is offering them up. I've shipped out 9 movies and received 3 back while I have thousands of points and my 'want' list looks like it will never shrink.
Hmmm. I just checked on the bunch of Criterion blu-rays sitting in my request queue, and it looks like not a single title has ever been traded on this site. Getting a bad feeling about this...
Old 09-30-09, 08:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I assume this is for Region 1 and A only?
Old 09-30-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Hmmm. I just checked on the bunch of Criterion blu-rays sitting in my request queue, and it looks like not a single title has ever been traded on this site. Getting a bad feeling about this...
From what I know, they just started with the dvd's. I have been with them only a month & have scored 2 SD Criterions (The Leopard & Bad Timing) in great shape.
Old 09-30-09, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
It is hit or miss. I have been on there for a month and have received one dvd in which the packaging was fine but the disc itself looked like it was rubbed with steel wool.
Yeah, you'll have that from time to time : random douchebags. However, one negative experience doesn't immediately make the quality "hit or miss."

And, yeah, the dvd portion of the site just opened in August.

Honestly, don't use it if you're worried, or suspicious or whatever, its not a big deal. The site has a good deal of problems, but is definitely the best of trading sites online, albeit that isn't saying a whole lot.
Old 09-30-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Like Inri said, Goozex has only had movie trading for a very short time. If you look at video games, many of the popular titles have been traded well over 1000 times.

That being said, Criterion Blu-rays aren't going to be traded very often, since relatively few people have them and even fewer want to give them up.
Old 10-01-09, 11:02 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goozex
Not to my knowledge. If you want you can post your desired username/nickname and I can see if it is already taken.
I did find one that worked. I guess they were popular names and I just had no clue they were.

Thanks for the response.
Old 10-01-09, 04:10 PM

Not open to canadian traders yet i see.. Great looking site, hopefully expansion comes soon.
Old 10-07-09, 02:04 PM
Goozex

Originally Posted by Kris81
Not open to canadian traders yet i see.. Great looking site, hopefully expansion comes soon.
Hi Kris81,
We are open to Canadian traders!!

Members have the option to trade locally in their own country or between the two. The default setting is locally, which you can change in your account page.

For European visitors, we have also Goozex.eu -- but that's currently only offering video game trading.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.