Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Wondering about dvds.

DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Wondering about dvds.

Old 10-01-08, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering about dvds.

So, looking around in the dvd trading forum I see people with like 40 or 50 Blu ray dvds that are still sealed... I bet half those dvds circulating on the trade forum are stolen. What gives?
Old 10-01-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

stolen? uh, no.

edit: let me elaborate. i would think less than 1% of DVDs in the trade forum are stolen. i am sure there are some people who work at best buy or blockbuster or whatever store and pocket some DVDs.

the real reason there are people with many sealed copies of Blu-rays:
incessant collectors. if it is released, they have to buy it. they blind buy something or they buy it and realize they don;t really want to own it. they may even buy it specifically to trade it.

i have about 10 Blu-rays in my collection still wrapped. i have posted a couple because at the time i thought i wanted it but then realized it was a mistake. multiply that by 20 and you have your reason. some people buy EVERYTHING released on Blu and then sort it out later.

Last edited by SoSpacey; 10-01-08 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
So, looking around in the dvd trading forum I see people with like 40 or 50 Blu ray dvds that are still sealed... I bet half those dvds circulating on the trade forum are stolen. What gives?
I have not posted any Blu Ray in the trading forum. What I have done is taken advantage of a BOGO free and then sell the extra copy to lower my cost of the one I keep. For example I just bought 3 copys of Predator from Amazon for $27 total and sold 2 and got back $25 so I ended up with a $2 Blu Ray

Last edited by schbee; 10-01-08 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 04:02 PM

Basically you guys made a business out of it.?

Find a deal where you get 3 copies of the same dvd for instance, (like Predator) and then sell two of them off to make a slightly higher profit? Rinse and repeat!
Old 10-01-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
Basically you guys made a business out of it.?

Find a deal where you get 3 copies of the same dvd for instance, (like Predator) and then sell two of them off to make a slightly higher profit? Rinse and repeat!
capitalism baby
Old 10-01-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people also have the connections to get BD's in bulk amounts at bulk prices. I have collection of about 90 BD's and about 10 of them are not open, it happens hen you have an unearched movie pile. Other times you also find a great deal on a BD and later you realize it's not something you were really even looking for.
Old 10-01-08, 11:57 PM

B1G1 for me. If something is a great buy AND there is a BOGO, you snag up an extra for trading for something that you couldn't buy regularly.

Online coupons, Deal of the Day, B1G4 in some instances...

That's what you live by in order to pump your collection for almost no money.

Getting dealer discounts is nice too.
Old 10-02-08, 09:06 AM

Also, there are people here like me who have to buy the BIG titles that everyone is talking about and then before opening them up, rent them and find out we don't like it. Then they are traded without being opened. Don't flame me, but I did just that with Run Lola Run. I bought it on B1G1, received it from Netflix it before it got to me, wife hated it, I thought it was just OK, and then traded it when I got it. It happens.
Old 10-02-08, 11:54 AM

I do the same with games, not the sale, but the having a bunch of stuff I never play/watch
Old 10-02-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess I just have more self control than some. I only buy what I know I am going to watch and want to own.