Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Familyguy90 - Bad Trader?

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 03:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please Send Your Experience With This Guy To Me>

I Am In The Process Of Assembling Info To Prosecute This Individual For Mail Fraud. Any Help That You Can Contribute Will Be Appreciated By All.

Thanks,
Richmond23236
Old 05-21-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never heard of him. But hopefully you'll get some vital info on the dude. Good luck.
Old 05-21-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ EDIT: Ahh, he's the guy who's thread is below this one.

Would care to describe to everyone what happened?
Old 05-21-06, 04:05 PM

He is posting good items, and negotiates unbelievable deals. He has even gone as far as providing digital pictures of said items QUICKLY. He indicated to me that he was a US seller, etc. Once the paypal transaction cleared...all correspondence with him ceased.
The amount I lost in the trade was not huge, but the issue is that it taints this forum for the rest of us. Karma can be a bitch.
I am currently assembling a case against him. Paypal has been notified, as has AOL (in that his account is tied to mail fraud- a felony). It is a good thing to have friends in convenient places. My brother works for AOL in the fraud investigations dept, and my partner is a state attourney.
Old 05-21-06, 04:18 PM

richmond - i should have quite a bit of info you may need to help with this. drop me an email and we'll chat

use "my fourm id" @ gmail . com

sorry - i really hate email spam from fourms so i just had to make it a little easier. thanks
Old 05-21-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had my brother send him $12 via PayPal for the Alan Partridge Series 1 DVD set. I too saw that he had posted pictures in another thread, so he seemed legit enough. However, I should have also realized that he had no trader history, and no one had actually commented on receiving anything from him. You can e-mail me through the forums if you want more information. Like everyone else, correspondence ceased once payment was made. I wasn't able to contact him via his e-mail address at AOL. I have all of our correspondence before that saved, so I can definitely send that your way. I wish these scam artists would stay away, but again, I should've been more cautious as he was also shipping from overseas.
Old 05-21-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't we make it a DVDTalk Exchange Fourm "rule" for all new members with no feedback at all to always, no questions asked, ship first before accepting payment from established members?
Old 05-21-06, 05:12 PM

I just checked out his forum, and I noticed the items looks similar to the one I bought from another trader with a different username. I believe it was last month I paid for The Terminal (2-disc) and Roseanne Season 1 for $29. And never heard back from. I have a feeling it might be the same person.
Old 05-21-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad I didn't buy the 2 I wanted from him! People like him me off!!!
Old 05-21-06, 05:42 PM

black chubby, that sounds about right - what was the name of the guy? sn or paypal info - anything
Old 05-21-06, 06:05 PM

He did not give me his name, coz I paid with Paypal. As soon as I paid for the DVD's, in his forum he did update his post and had the DVD's as sold and said he had sent out the DVD's. Then after that no response, after constant emails. I reported it to Paypal but never got my money back. I'll try and check if I still have his info.
Old 05-21-06, 06:06 PM

Guess he got away with this the first time, so he's doing it again. What a scammer and coming back. And getting greedy.

Last edited by blackchubby; 05-21-06 at 06:07 PM. Reason: need to add more info.
Old 05-21-06, 06:06 PM

I sent you an email about a transaction with this guy. Add me to the list of people that should have been more careful.
Old 05-21-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought paying over paypal was supposed to be worryfree? Or is that only when accompanied with eBay?
Old 05-21-06, 06:40 PM

i actually talked to the guy a bit on AIM - he claims is ebay account is wittywoo33 if this helps at all. the location of that account is also the UK so it makes a bit of sense, but i guess i could randomly pick a name out of a hat too. possibly another link to him though
Old 05-21-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Why don't we make it a DVDTalk Exchange Fourm "rule" for all new members with no feedback at all to always, no questions asked, ship first before accepting payment from established members?

Actually, I think the rule should be that you have to send first if you're not a Gold Member. If 2 non-gold members are trading, then they would ship together (unless 1 has zero feedback in which case he'd ship first no matter what).

That's the rule I go by anyway. It's only cost me one deal where someone refused to send first, but it's saved me from scammers at least 3 times in the last year.
Old 05-21-06, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
That is what's advised, but you can't force people to check before sending money. If someone wants to trust a new member, a forum "rule" is not going to stop them.
Old 05-21-06, 08:41 PM

For everyone burned by familyguy90 DO THIS!!!!

Everyone who has been affected by this pathetic, damaged person:
familyguy90

Go to: Exchange Guidelines, and follow the protocol including filing an internet fraud complaint with the FBI.

The process is painless, and takes only minutes. The loss of cash may not be resolved, but if we self-police we can maintain better control of this forum.

Karma payback is a b*tch.
Old 05-21-06, 08:47 PM

I too was burned by this guy for $100. The same AOL email as previously stated I'm sure. And I decided to hold off on sending it to Paypal until now as I had JUST sent them a complaint about the other guy over in the Star Trek thread. But fortunately I got my money back without Papal's help. Aaaaand of course, now that I actually want to file the claim, Paypal is down.

Last edited by Twinsen; 05-21-06 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just filed a dispute with Paypal on this guy (Jerry Hill).

I'm only out $17 if it does not come through, but that does not alleviate my anger. I will give im till Tuesday morning and then I will file more against him as suggested by richmond. By the way, thanks for the email - good reminder and alert.
Old 05-21-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whew. Almost dealt with him, but backed out when I realized what I wanted was R2.
Old 05-21-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spartanstew
Actually, I think the rule should be that you have to send first if you're not a Gold Member. If 2 non-gold members are trading, then they would ship together (unless 1 has zero feedback in which case he'd ship first no matter what).

That's the rule I go by anyway. It's only cost me one deal where someone refused to send first, but it's saved me from scammers at least 3 times in the last year.

Here, Here!! I agree with all the posters who say that there should be some sort of rule in place for new members dealing with established members to make them ship first. Of course, some people wouldn't follow procedure anyway, but at least some sort of ruling in place could prompt more newer members to give in to shipping first without putting up such a fuss.
Old 05-21-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It might also help if more people showed a bit of restraint (yes, I know we're all guilty of lacking that at times).

If a new member shows up with insane prices for stuff that you really want, but they refuse to ship first after you request for them to do so, then just refuse to buy from them. It's just not worth the risk, and truth be told, there are plenty of great deals to be had from legit posters.
Old 05-21-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even without a rule in place you should always make new members ship first till they have a few positive feedback atleast. If they balk at it then quickly move on and save yourself the headaches it's not worth it.

Maybe i go against the rules and it's not right but i never ship out first unless someone is +5 or better on GTL. I remember being involved in scam couple years back and it's no fun. I don't see what the big deal is for a new member or low + feedback to ship first when they are dealing with a gold trader who has been around for many years. They really have nothing to worry about i dont think there has been a case of a longtime gold trader on here going bad.
Old 05-22-06, 09:37 AM

i agree with all this (yet was still dumb enough to get burned here) - still, we need better inforcement of the raiting system. i've done 4 trades and am still +1 since the other trades never posted for my rankings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.