Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Traders Dialogue Thread.

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Traders Dialogue Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 07:31 PM
jet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, I decided to chime in again just to let people know that I have just posted all the same titles again and am looking for trades......Just kidding, actually I just wanted to say that I find that people that keep making offers on the same discs time and time again don't bother me in the least. I look at it this way, if people only post to your trade threads once then there won't be many offers past that initial trade offering. The more replies, the more e-mails the better in my book.

I would also like to apologize to anyone who may have made me a trade offer in the past that never received a response. I have tried to get back to everybody, but not always successfully. If you have made an offer in the past and didn't get a response feel free to make another offer and I will try to get back to you.

Wasn't trying to hijack the thread there, I just wanted to get that off my chest. Hope you didn't mind.

Thanks, John (jet)
Old 08-06-02, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning all.....

13)I was just browsing through some threads and yes, I saw some incredible offers. 3 movies for 1 movie. Now if this isn't an F-over.. I don't know what is. Now, if I said the movies.... that would give it away as to whom I was talking about.... GOSSIP!!!! Hee hee.... I know everyone wants to make out in a deal... but come on.. get real!
Old 08-07-02, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is everyone out of things to say or what?
Old 08-07-02, 07:08 AM

It appears so. I however would like to get something off my chest.

Mary-Kate Olsen is bringing Ashley Olsen down.

Mary-Kate Olsen. I don't even know where to begin.

Can Mary-Kate really be the incomparable Ashley Olsen's twin sister? They may have the same genetic code, but Mary-Kate certainly does not have her sister's prodigious dramatic gifts. Despite their identical outward appearance, it's easy to tell which sister is which at any given moment. I cringed whenever Mary-Kate would appear on my TV screen, her clumsy, ham-fisted portrayals devoid of all nuance and depth. And her incompetence was laid all the more bare by her sister's mastery.

Over the course of countless children's sing-along videos, TV movies, and such sitcoms as Two Of A Kind and So Little Time, it's been made painfully obvious who's got the chops and who doesn't. Ashley is George Michael to Mary-Kate's Andrew Ridgeley. She's Daryl Hall to her sister's John Oates.

Yes, it's clear that Ashley Olsen is the one with the true talent and personality. She is the majestic airship hovering in the sky, while Mary-Kate is the oppressively heavy, rust-encrusted anchor to which that airship is cruelly tethered, preventing it from ascending high into the firmament. Ashley could be another Hepburn, another Streep, if not for the cumbersome ballast that is Mary-Kate.

Examples of Mary-Kate's incompetence are as abundant as blades of grass. ExamplesI have selected are damning:

Mary-Kate lacks charisma. That elusive quality is vital to a performer, yet Mary-Kate is almost completely devoid of it. With her vanilla features and expressionless, fish-eyed gaze, one must wonder why this singularly untalented waif was ever placed before a camera. Case in point: In 1995's "The Case Of The Sea World Adventure," from the direct-to-video children's mystery series The Adventures Of Mary-Kate And Ashley, Mary-Kate delivers such lively and toothsome lines as, "The pearl necklace must be in that bucket of bait... yecch!" with about as much élan as a TV agribusiness reporter delivering the day's livestock quotes. If she required guidance or inspiration, she need only have turned to Ashley, whose unmasking of the jewel thief was as suspenseful as the climax to any classic 1940s film noir. "Trenchcoat Twins," indeed.

Mary-Kate's diction is poor. Another acting skill so vital, yet so utterly lacking in Mary-Kate, is clear enunciation. Her high-pitched, reedy, mealy monotone seems oddly out of place coming from her ponderous maw. Yet, like the call of the shrike, it pierces the eardrums and inspires profound irritation. This paucity of resonance applies to her singing voice, as well, and is readily apparent in the girls' 1994 recording, "Brother For Sale." No amount of studio wizardry could conceal the cracks in her off-key, phoned-in "singing." It was clear she didn't believe in the song. Meanwhile, Ashley's hearty vocals and peerless phrasing were reminiscent of a brilliant prodigy of yesteryear, Judy Garland. Whereas Ashley sang from her diaphragm, Mary-Kate's voice seemed to emanate from a tinny transistor radio with a dying battery.

Mary-Kate is not as good-looking as Ashley. Mary-Kate's disheveled rat's-nest hairdo looks as though it has never experienced a comb or shampoo. She never seems to have a straight part, and the fussy little barrettes stuck randomly throughout her hair only accentuate its unruliness. Her wardrobe, from To Grandmother's House We Go to Billboard Dad, has always been tacky and dowdy, inspired by some bizarre Schoolmarm Chic trend that exists only in her head. By contrast, Ashley is a heavenly apparition. Her strawberry-blonde mane falls in glossy ringlets, her well-scrubbed skin radiates a golden, healthy glow, and her erect bearing exudes a sylph-like grace, giving her a larger-than-life appearance despite her diminutive frame. Her fashion instincts are as unerring as Mary-Kate's are clueless.

Mary-Kate could also stand to lose a few pounds.

I say these things not to humiliate Mary-Kate. It is altogether likely that the girl possesses talent—just not in an entertainment-industry capacity. Perhaps, after extensive training and a long probationary period, Mary-Kate could make a serviceable cashier, nursing-home orderly, or cafeteria worker. Or maybe she could serve as an assistant to Ashley—a star of her sister's magnitude surely needs someone to answer her fan mail, clean her trailer, and fetch her bottled water.

I fear that if Mary-Kate is not forced to relinquish her partnership with Ashley, the duo will eventually go down in a blaze of mediocrity. Their careers will become mired in a bog of formulaic sitcoms, forgettable TV movies, and mindless, mercenary merchandising peddled to the lowest common denominator. And that will be a real shame, because the girls have so much to offer. Well, Ashley does.

Mary-Kate, please do your twin a favor: Set her free to soar like the eagle she is. Only when she is loosed of the sisterly bonds that hold her down can Ashley assume her rightful place in the pantheon of greats.
Old 08-07-02, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After all that, insults to cashiers? Who is supposed to take your money when checking out? Someone very close to me does this Jay.... I am hoping that you are not putting down those that may not have your luck... or lack thereof.. to get a well paying job. I used to have a great job... now I am stuck doing something I never wanted to do... and that is a stocker.

What is next, putting down those that give donations?
Old 08-07-02, 07:29 AM

My point is that Mary-Kate would be better off doing something more productive than littering the screen with her zombieque performances - but in a sense I'm saying something a bit more.

There are those who have achieved a status in which they are honored with buckets of cash - like the Olsens - for doing something that quite frankly is fairly vapid. (I'm not saying that they haven't worked hard for those buckets, but let's face it - they're not actresses - their business associates with little talent other than marketing an image.)

In our society that cares about what political standing a supermodel has, I think that a segement of our culture has been blinded by celebrity and status.

Cashiers and cafeteria workers (of which I am) are the people behind the scenes- the real blood flow of any sucessful operation. I have no animosity or low viewpoint of those positions because frankly I am one of that community.

My intention was to pick a bit at the image and bring this motley pair down to size. To bring them to our level - myself included.

Satire can be a dangerious thing.
Old 08-07-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the of God Jay... I apologize.... I had no idea! Actually... I kinda figured out what you were saying after I re-read it again.

You are right, it is those that work behind the scenes.. the people who answer the phones (as I have done MANY time) that get no credit.. but I digress.

As far as the Olsen's... 2 years and they are in Playboy!
Old 08-07-02, 07:42 AM

Bill,

I would go far as to say that few people are doing what they love – career wise. Also, I would bet my life on the notion that many people don’t make as much as they would like.

The problem is thus: people allow their self worth to be determined by “what they do for a living”.

I work in a kitchen. Obviously, to my peers, I am a sort of failure. I went through college – got a degree in Speech and Theatre and when on to get a master’s in Communications. I applied for the positions and I landed a well paying job. Guess what?

I hated it. Those around me were complete asses.

I quit. The position took up too much time and I found myself constantly “justifying” my existence.

I work in a kitchen at a retirement facility. I cover for vacations and sick leave and I have a standard shift. I work every weekend and most holidays – but ya know what – I don’t have near the anxiety or ******** thrown my way when I worked in my “high priced” position.

My friends think I’m nuts. But while their trying to make ends meet with their high priced toys and huge houses – I live modestly and can peruse my interests without interference. I am much more free than most.

In the end, I think that the clerks, cashiers, stockers, dishwashers, drivers and the alike are the luckiest people. Sure the money may suck in some cases – but look at the otherside. Look at your life as “what you have” not what you don’t. And never, ever let someone judge your worth by what you do.

Oh yeah , dvd's rule.

And yes, it's a matter of time till the Olsen's take it off in career desperation.
Old 08-07-02, 07:47 AM

Ignorance is bliss and in my case it comes in buckets..... hey, just like me!
Who the hell are Mary Kate and Ashley? Am I too canadian for these in-joke references?
Help me biggieskillie, u gave them eyes but they cannot see.
Alright, just got my pissoff email of the day.
Petpeeve when trading:
Dude sends me message: "Hey! HI! Want to trade A and B for your X and Y because I've loved that movie so long and it's so cool. Let me know!"
I send an email back promptly and say "OK, can trade A for my X. Hope that's ok?"
Don't hear for 3 days from mr. tradeofferguy and then I send an email saying Hi, can u tell me if trade is still ok? Let me know because JClapp wants A now.
Here comes Academy Award winning email - ready? -
no thanks.
I love that, last time that happened Clint Eastwood was making movies with Sergio Leone. Give me the good grace to make refusal email back to me longer than 2 words, Shakespeare, at least give me some take care or can't do it at this time.
True story!!
Old 08-07-02, 08:13 AM

panayoti - Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are twins (around 15 years old) who have ammassed an empire of video features, clothing lines and god know what else. They have marketed themselves to a degree where they are nearly unavoidable here in the US.

They have legions of fans (mostly pre-teen girls) but in the end, and it is soely my opinion - they have little or no talent. They and their handlers are experty marketers. Once again, it's image and product vs quality and humlity.

I get a bit sick of the way media makes a big ta-do over "celebrity". I saw a story wherevthey featured a "big star" getting their bathroom remodeled. Who cares?

Obviously someone does because the feature ran seven minutes. Nonetheless, it makes me squirm when celebrity is almost made the "norm" when the real norm are those who lead much mor humble and less glamourious lives.

Last edited by bigskillet; 08-07-02 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-07-02, 08:27 AM

oh yes, I've heard of those little sows. God, shades of New Kids On The Block Redux!
Mass and crass marketing. Reminds me of the hell we were put through with Survivor and all shows of its ilk. I saw that hairy dude whatever his name was that won the first survivor who they made a big deal of being gay hawking another bloody survival show.
They should do a reality show of this forum and see the hell we have to put up with to get rid of copies of the Pearl Harbour dvd!
Old 08-07-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was just over at Home Theater Forum looking at some posts and came across one that one trader was trying to sell "Castaway" for 20 BUCKS! I mean, do some research guy!

Castaway for 20 dollars better have a car with it! Preferable a Yugo!
Old 08-08-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, being bored, I decided to go back about a year or so ago and see what was being traded back then. I came across a DVDTalk current member that was offering a certain title that was just tradeed.

ONE YEAR!!!

Now that is persistant!

If you wanna know who it is.... I better not say here... for fear of getting in trouble.

**Still can't get rid of this BETA VCR**

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 08-08-02 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 08:37 AM

hey, folks,

anyone have any fun war stories like mine above where the guy emailed me back with the line NOT INTERESTED! Take a look at my post before last. I'm dying to give up the dude's name too but like Bill I'll refrain.
B Geiger, never mind. I'm reaching my silver anniversary with a copy of Platoon RO from Brazil that I've had up for 6 mos. now. I had a copy of Operation Condor that was up for the same amount of time but I took it off out of shame.
Maybe I should take it to another forum and ask 20 bucks for it and say it's signed by Mickey Rourke who was never in it! hee hee!
Old 08-08-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

evenin' bump...

Would you trade your spouse for 500 dvds of your choice, including four hundred blows and salo criterion?
Old 08-08-02, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
Would you trade your spouse for 500 dvds of your choice, including four hundred blows and salo criterion?
Lord no! I've had and traded away 400 Blows CC and a friend lent me Salo CC and it was too disturbing for my blood. Now if you were talking HKL versions (restored, uncut) of all the Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies ever made... well then maybe.
Old 08-09-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually hate having to send offers via email only. Like others here I like to keep most everything on one thread for my records but I dont use my Juno email address for anything which means I have to right down the persons email addy then go to my hotmail and then send them an email. Actually unless someone is offering me copies of the Original Star Wars trilogy (not the SE) and the Indiana Jones 1st and 3rd discs that they just brought back with them in their time machine there is no way im going to email you just to find out if your interested. It pretty easy when someone says ok to send them an email which says "hey im trading you x for z and here is my address. Please send me yours. But hey if you guys dont want me to trade you my sealed copies of Criterion's Salo,The 400 Blows and stuff like The Original uncut version Devils Advocate for your copy of Step Mom just keep insisting on emails only.
Old 08-09-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would you trade your entire dvd collection for a full Criterion Collection (including OOP and rare ones)?
Old 08-09-02, 02:27 AM

No way. I don't understand the Criterion fever some people get. I like some movies that have been made into Criterion editions, but I haven't seen probably over 90% of the films in the collection, and I never will. Maybe that means I'm missing out, but I'll just stick with my crappy American movies.
Old 08-09-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope I have most of the Criterions I want.
Old 08-09-02, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by Zarthaniel
No way. I don't understand the Criterion fever some people get. I like some movies that have been made into Criterion editions, but I haven't seen probably over 90% of the films in the collection, and I never will. Maybe that means I'm missing out, but I'll just stick with my crappy American movies.
You are SO uncultured! No, I wouldn't either, I love my DVD's, and a LOT of Criterions don't intrest me so much.
Old 08-09-02, 07:51 AM

I can't understand that Criterion mentality either. One of my fave sci-fi flicks of all time, Robocop, was released on the Criterion label and it looks and sounds like crap! You figure there would be some sort of quality control but on Robocop they just seemed to drop it on the disc as is. Oddly enough, their other films that are literally 40 or 50 years old look as good or even better than Robocop, which was released in 1987. Go figure, Criterion doesn't necessarily mean the best of the best.
I've dealt with some traders that keep begging me for something like Seven Samurai just to complete their Criterion collection. I asked one of these guys one time what he thought of Kurosawa's other films and the dude asked me who he was!! I wonder if they release Freddy Got Fingered as a Criterion how big the lineups will be for it? #179!!
Old 08-09-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok ok... enough movie talk! For the love of God, can't you people find anything else to talk about? What a bunch of sorry ass losers you guys are....

Anyone see any good movies lately? Hee hee.

-BTW- I thought Robocop sucked bigtime... the CC edition would have been better suited for a GoodTimes DVD release! You have Robocop and MR BASEBALL! WOOHOO!
Old 08-09-02, 02:41 PM

OK,

First week as a trader here, so I'm just starting to get my feet wet, and I think I'm starting to realize what I've gotten myself into . If the person is reading this, forgive me, but I need to vent. Been trying to work out a trade and I get an e-mail that says I'd need two of yiour music video collections for DVD x, because "not too many people are interested in music videos." Then why do you want them?! I don't care if I was being offered every DVD I ever wanted after that, I think I still would have said no. These aren't baseball cards, if you aren't going to watch them before trading them, don't waste my time. And...end rant.

Sorry, I tend to get easily annoyed .
Old 08-09-02, 03:00 PM

Bill Geiger!??!? Has someone appropriated your brain??? Robocop was brilliant!?! How could even purport to love film and not realize that that it singlehandedly revived the sci-fi genre for the 1990's!! Let me guess, you're a "oh I cried so much when Antonio Banderas left Angelina Jolie alone in that room in Original Sin" kindof new age man that is totally in touch with the beauty of life. hah, give me bloodshed, not tearshed!! Don't break a heart, tear it out and leave it dangling on the end of a spear a la the Predator in Predator 1! ummmm, errr, ahhh, where am I? why did I originally post here anyway??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.