DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Columbia House problems

Old 11-02-09, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Columbia House problems

I sent in an application to join the TV on DVD Club along with a money order for $19.95 three weeks ago. I signed into my regular DVD Club account today and noticed I have been billed for the two DVDs I ordered to join the TV DVD Club. Why did I get billed for them on my regular account? I got billed full price for them. There is no mentioned of my $19.95 money order. I don't have any other accounts with them. Is this an error on their part? What happend to my $19.95 money order?

Update: I sent an email to the Customer Service of CH.

Last edited by justme81; 11-02-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Columbia House problems

I am going to resign permanently as soon as they let me use my $18 "fun cash". I am so sick of CH's constant screwups. The latest: In mid Nov i ordered 1 dvd at 1/2 price free ship. They billed my card immediately. The dvd never arrived. I recently noticed they showed it as "still processing". I wrote them. They sent the dvd & removed the payment from my account, but did not refund my card. They're now showing me as owing them $7.50, even though I've already paid them.

This is just the latest in a long string of bs. I'm tired of this & they're really not all that cheap.

I also went to use my "fun cash" & the cart wouldn't admit it existed, though it clearly showed in "my account".
Old 12-23-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now they sent me a form letter confirming that I owe them the money. I've threatened filing a case with the state attorney general. See if that does any good (I will follow up if needed).
Old 12-28-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still nothing remotely resembling resolution. Their c.s. people are IDIOTS.
Old 01-16-10, 07:48 PM

Yes, but if they weren't the big dumb animal they are, we wouldn't get the deals we do. I think it's a give and take, and mostly, I get to take which I'm okay with. (What happens at Columbia House, stays at Columbia House.)

I do recommend using a credit card though, because you can file a charge back if you need to (been there, done that) which is time consuming and a pain in the arse, but gets your money back. Well, in my case it did, anyway. I had to do it twice in the last two years, both times it took about three months, but both times all was resolved with no negative residue on any of my open accounts. The only way to get your money back when you pay with a money order is ... oh, wait, you can't get your money back. (Actually you can file a lawsuit, but for $40, you'd be out more than you lost in the first place) I also recommend using a different card for each account, because then when they re-key and mix and mash your orders together, it's easier to track what was charged, when it was charged and what account it came from.

In the past though, I've had things happen when they bill one account for purchases on another account -- and usually any orders placed on the account with the issues always have issues, so I usually close that account and cycle in a new one. It's almost like there are lemon accounts (and once a lemon, always a lemon). Then there are other accounts that I've had absolutely no problems with.

(I have noticed a difference in the past four months or so -- they actually haven't messed up any of my orders; which is a nice change.)

Sorry you've had to deal with that -- it is a bit stressful when it happens, but with CH, it is inevitable.

Good luck!

-Zoe
Old 01-19-10, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have resigned from Ch because the irritation from the ongoing fights with the idiots at customer service since direct Brands purchased them are just not worth it for the few pennies i save.

If Your Music doesn't honor the free cd they owe me (I'm now on my 5th email to them with no reply & all there phone numbers I can find are bogus), I will also resign from them. I hope the rest of you join me, maybe the [email protected][email protected]$ will get a clue.........
Old 01-20-10, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
I hope the rest of you join me, maybe the [email protected][email protected]$ will get a clue.........
Not I -- gotta feed the beast.