DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

40% off sets, What does it do?

Old 01-14-08, 08:40 PM

40% off sets, What does it do?

There seem to be a lot of deals on columbiahouse lately for 40% off sets, no purchase necessary, yet every set is the same price it always is. In conclusion, what is the point of this? for people who think they are getting a deal, or does it actually do something?
Old 01-14-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

did this really need it's own thread?
Old 01-14-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you really need to bother shitting on his thread?
Old 01-14-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Did you really need to bother shitting on his thread?
yes because if i didn't then everyone would think it would be okay to start new threads for every little question they had about CH.
Old 01-14-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And if that happened your life would be in shambles, correct?
Old 01-15-08, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by riderjeff
There seem to be a lot of deals on columbiahouse lately for 40% off sets, no purchase necessary, yet every set is the same price it always is. In conclusion, what is the point of this? for people who think they are getting a deal, or does it actually do something?
The 40% off deal is almost always on for sets so it may look like it is doing nothing, but it is actually giving the prices you see at 40% off list. Now this seems to be the norm so yes in a way you could look at it as doing nothing but without it you pay list. :-(
Old 01-17-08, 07:15 PM

The 40% prices are sometimes a good deal, but the shipping unfortunately usually puts them above DeepDiscount which offers free shipping. Not always, but sometimes. You just have to look at the big picture. But recently CH has had some free shipping codes on box sets -- that was sweet!
Old 01-22-08, 12:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
did this really need it's own thread?
It's people like you that keep me and others from even posting. Some people have nothing better to do then threadcrap. Don't worry I won't post anymore and I sure as hell won't ever start a thread.
Old 01-22-08, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ehilbert
It's people like you that keep me and others from even posting. Some people have nothing better to do then threadcrap. Don't worry I won't post anymore and I sure as hell won't ever start a thread.
Yes... and you've never threadcrapped writing about Columbia House and the silliness of blind devotion to the DD 20% off sale...
Old 01-22-08, 12:53 PM

And... just for the sake of threadcrapping some more...

This:

Originally Posted by riderjeff
In conclusion, what is the point of this? for people who think they are getting a deal, or does it actually do something?
is NOT a conclusion.

And, for what it's worth, box sets are rarely good deals on columbiahouse, due to shipping-- at least when purchased on their own-- even WITH the "40% off." And all of Columbiahouse is designed/intended for people who think they're getting a great deal.

Last edited by excom101; 01-22-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 05:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by excom101
Yes... and you've never threadcrapped writing about Columbia House and the silliness of blind devotion to the DD 20% off sale...
Threadcrapping is actually going into that thread and putting it down. I never posted in the 20% off thread. I started a thread in the Columbia House forum because I like their deals and wondered why others do not see all the great deals. Please do not call me a threadcrapper. I've never went into a thread and put it or anyone down. Please grow up! Some of us would like to post more,but again people like you love to put others and their threads down.
Old 01-22-08, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ehilbert
Threadcrapping is actually going into that thread and putting it down. I never posted in the 20% off thread. I started a thread in the Columbia House forum because I like their deals and wondered why others do not see all the great deals. Please do not call me a threadcrapper. I've never went into a thread and put it or anyone down. Please grow up! Some of us would like to post more,but again people like you love to put others and their threads down.
Threadcrapping... threads for crapping... whatever. I'm not sure how creating whole threads to put down other peoples' threads and thoughts and approaches down is any better. But fair enough. Semantically you're right.

*bows out*

Last edited by excom101; 01-22-08 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by excom101
And... just for the sake of threadcrapping some more...

This:

is NOT a conclusion.

And, for what it's worth, box sets are rarely good deals on columbiahouse, due to shipping-- at least when purchased on their own-- even WITH the "40% off." And all of Columbiahouse is designed/intended for people who think they're getting a great deal.
While it is true that CH sale offers are intended to entice club members into thinking they're getting a deal and to impulse buy DVDs at fairly high prices, the purpose of this forum is to optimize memberships in Columbia House and other clubs (Disney) to get DVDs at the lowest practical prices. In short: to beat Columbia House at their own game.

Sets at 40% off the normal CH price nowadays can often be a good deal when they are used to fulfill an account, especially combined with a BOGOF promotion. This is particularly true if the set is priced at $39.95 or more because it counts for two fulfillments. I've posted the numbers enough times that I won't bother to do so again. Rather, I will simply state it again as a fact:

Sets at Columbia House can often be a good deal if used to fulfill accounts.
Old 01-23-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As to this silliness about starting threads, I have no problem with people starting threads to ask questions. Once the question is answered and the discussion ends, the thread will eventually fall off the first page. Anyway, it is not as if we are inundated with new threads in this forum. If the topic of the thread is of no interest, there is no need to click on it. (I rarely click on the "What CH enrollments did you select?" thread, for example, because the topic does not interest me. For others it serves as a source for ideas of what to purchase.)

I created the main "Questions" thread not to force people to ask questions there but, rather, as a convenience for newcomers to ask questions who might otherwise be reluctant to start a new thread.

I would also prefer that people not ask general questions in the "stickied" threads at the top of the forum because as those threads get large and need to be closed and replaced, we have to get a moderator to help. And moderators don't much visit this forum because we don't have the problems that crop up elsewhere.

So, please lay off the forum visitors who start threads to ask questions. They aren't hurting anybody.

My 2.
Old 01-23-08, 04:17 PM

Good advice lizard. And I still maintain that CH box sets CAN be good deals. It just depends what you're looking for....
Old 01-24-08, 12:10 AM

For what it's worth (since my post was the quoted one):

Originally Posted by lizard
While it is true that CH sale offers are intended to entice club members into thinking they're getting a deal and to impulse buy DVDs at fairly high prices...
I don't think it is unfair to say that the 40%-off sets deals is one such deal, in general.

Sets at 40% off the normal CH price nowadays can often be a good deal when they are used to fulfill an account, especially combined with a BOGOF promotion. This is particularly true if the set is priced at $39.95 or more because it counts for two fulfillments. I've posted the numbers enough times that I won't bother to do so again. Rather, I will simply state it again as a fact:

Sets at Columbia House can often be a good deal if used to fulfill accounts.
I'm not arguing with this. I understand the math, which is why I said this:

for what it's worth, box sets are rarely good deals on columbiahouse, due to shipping-- at least when purchased on their own

As to this silliness about starting threads, I have no problem with people starting threads to ask questions.
Nor do I.
Old 01-24-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Takes 40% off boxsets duh!