DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

CH is trying to screw me

Old 01-07-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CH is trying to screw me

I ordered a B1G1 deal about three weeks ago containing one pre-order and one new release. The new release never showed up so I shot them an email wondering what happened to it. I got this reply:

Your credit card company has refused to accept the charges for the following.
STARDUST 07
The following selection will be released on the date noted below. Our files indicate that you have reserved one copy of this selection. As long as your account is in good standing, we will ship this selection as soon as it is available. You can also check on the status of your orders on our website at any time.
THREE10 YUMA07 01/08/08
So my bank refused charges on the free item (how do you get charged for a free item?) but will but will now happily accept charges for anything? Really?
What a load of bullshit.
Old 01-07-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

always call. i find that the email replies usually never make any sense.
Old 01-08-08, 03:12 AM

back when they had the b2g3 sale they only shipped 2 of my 6 free ones - the others i was told were declined by my CC. Had to call and email a few times before they shipped them out to me.

Then like 2 months later, they shipped them to me again.....works for me.
Old 01-08-08, 07:45 AM

I found the title of this thread very amusing. Sick sense of humor.
Old 01-11-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update: I got this email.

We have reviewed the reply which was recently sent to you and found that it contained incomplete or incorrect information. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope this email will clarify any misunderstanding.
Since the offer was buy one get one free, the free selection could not be shipped until the full price selection was available for shipment.
The following order was processed for shipment on 01/09/08....
Fine. It appears free selections will not be sent before pre-orders. I know for a fact they have sent me free selections before pre-orders in the past but that may have been done in error.
Why didn't they just say that to begin with instead of all that mumbo jumbo about my credit card? Columbia House
Old 01-11-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
Update: I got this email.

Fine. It appears free selections will not be sent before pre-orders. I know for a fact they have sent me free selections before pre-orders in the past but that may have been done in error.
Why didn't they just say that to begin with instead of all that mumbo jumbo about my credit card? Columbia House
Free selections arriving before the paid selection is very YMMV. Some have reported getting the free titles first, but others, myself included, have always had to wait until the paid selection shipped.
Old 01-11-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ normally if you pay for shipping they'll ship the free selection out but if you have free shipping you'll have to wait until the pre-order is released.
Old 01-11-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have rarely had an account where they wait to send me the free selection on a B1G1 purchase, no matter if I had paid for shipping or not. For example, I just recently pre-ordered 30 Days of Night (scheduled for late February release) and took Resident Evil: Extinction free. Shipping was free, and it only took about 5 days to receive the Resident Evil dvd.

So it definitely varies from person to person (and even accounts within the same household).