Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

They never sent anything an customer serivce does not work,

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 12-01-07, 08:58 AM

I did my last order to finish the requirements and months ago they said they sent it but nothing came and I try and try to contact them but it does not work. This was from the TV one, their customer service contact thing does not work. I went ahead and did it through the main CH website and I got an automatic e-mail back but weeks passed from that too.Anyone else experience this? Anyone know a more direct e-mail contact I can use?
Old 12-01-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there something wrong with your phone?

Seriously, you're complaining about not being able to get customer service and you're asking for yet another way for some message to just potentially disappear or wind up with an automatic reply.
Old 12-01-07, 09:20 AM

My voice is non existent.
Old 12-01-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by battlingbutler
I did my last order to finish the requirements and months ago they said they sent it but nothing came and I try and try to contact them but it does not work. This was from the TV one, their customer service contact thing does not work. I went ahead and did it through the main CH website and I got an automatic e-mail back but weeks passed from that too.Anyone else experience this? Anyone know a more direct e-mail contact I can use?

I had a problem where i didn't get an entire order that I placed that I was billed for. What happened was my invoice got stuck to another customers and just the invoice from mine was sent with the other customers invoice to the other customer. I didn't know this until the other customer forwarded me my invoice. I tried to contact CH but had a hard time with customer service because I wasn't familliar with the English/Indian dialect that they were speaking. i had better luck with the automated system and eventually got my DVD's.
Old 12-01-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Non-existent?" Do you mean that you are literally mute? And you don't have access to a service that can use voice on the phone for you? I have worked in multiple jobs where I received phone calls through services where the deaf or mute person was typing on a computer and a person was speaking for them to me and typing my responses back to them.
Old 12-01-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The way to e-mail Columbia House is to use [email protected] (the Contact link on the website has been reported here to not work many times before).

You will likely get a useless canned reply from the first e-mail. If you reply to that you should get a response from a live person.

In general, Columbia House will make you wait four weeks before re-shipping a lost order but you are way past that if it has been "months". Yes, packages do get lost or stolen.
Old 12-02-07, 11:26 PM

Yeah, I just emailed them on Saturday because I had the same issue -- haven't received an order. I got the shipping confirmation email on 11/19, but as of 12/1, I still haven't received the order.

I did get the automatic email reply. Maybe I'll try to reply to that one on Monday.

What is the best customer service phone number to try?
Old 12-03-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^888-467-7404 was reported to work as recently as a month ago. You might want to check out the last page or two of this thread.

If you manage to get through, it would be helpful if you post your results there.
Old 12-04-07, 09:52 AM

Thanks Lizard. I did get an email yesterday morning from CH, an actual person (I think so anyway!). He said that shipments can take up to 4 weeks to arrive -- they've never taken that long before. I'm not sure if CH is still shipping out of Terre Haute, IN, but even if they're not, I've NEVER had a shipment take that long.

I'll give it a few more days and then try to call. I pre-ordered the Harry Potter DVD at the same time so maybe I'll get all 3 DVDs at the same time (wishful thinking).
Old 12-04-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^It is standard Columbia House policy to make us wait for four weeks before re-shipping an order. Media Mail can take several weeks to arrive if it gets hung up at a node in the USPS system. It is rare for CH to bend the policy and send a replacement order before the four weeks are up.
Old 12-05-07, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
...hung up at a node...
I'll say! I just had a package arrive 54 days after I placed the order. After 4 weeks, I had them ship a replacement, which came 2 weeks before the original box. As someone else opined, "It's the price we pay for the price we pay."
Old 12-05-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CalebAndCo
I'll say! I just had a package arrive 54 days after I placed the order. After 4 weeks, I had them ship a replacement
Damn, 54 days. I hope you kept it for your troubles. Makes good Christmas presents.
Old 12-05-07, 03:00 PM
Banned

Customer service at CH, hah! I probably have two of the all-time worst CH CSR stories of all time on here.
Old 12-06-07, 03:26 AM

Orders placed on the 9/30 using b1g1 free, each after 7.95. I placed a 5 dvd order, 5 shipped not the pre-order which released next week. Today the full price pre-order arrived after i already purchased it. Also two other orders placed same time ( a week later ) have not shipped. Other two accounts order gets placed and arrives in less then a week how do I handle the dvds coming I already purchased on another account/? I emailed over 15 times trying to see what the hold up was never showed awaiting credit approval but just pending?
Old 12-06-07, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Damn, 54 days. I hope you kept it for your troubles. Makes good Christmas presents.
Nah, that wouldn't be right. I sent it back.
Old 12-06-07, 01:06 PM
Banned

After the first giant CH screwup, I started printing out my purchases every time. In fact, I'd print out the first checkout screen that shows what the fulfillments are and then the last post-checkout page. It could come in useful if they ever screw you over.
Old 12-08-07, 09:05 AM

I print my receipts too. The good thing in my case, I haven't paid for the DVDs yet! So at least I'm not out any money.
Old 12-10-07, 06:20 AM

I really wish you'd come back to this thread and elaborate on that response........
Old 12-12-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ch customer service worked for me. I ordered 24: Season 6 and received 24: 6 The Premiere Episodes 1-4. Contacted them about the mix up, they told me they would send out the 24 boxset that i ordered and go ahead and keep the Premiere Episodes dvd.
Old 12-15-07, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ESG927
Thanks Lizard. I did get an email yesterday morning from CH, an actual person (I think so anyway!). He said that shipments can take up to 4 weeks to arrive -- they've never taken that long before. I'm not sure if CH is still shipping out of Terre Haute, IN, but even if they're not, I've NEVER had a shipment take that long.

I'll give it a few more days and then try to call. I pre-ordered the Harry Potter DVD at the same time so maybe I'll get all 3 DVDs at the same time (wishful thinking).
Since the BMG merger, I think most things are shipping out of Greenville, SC now. At least mine are but I live nearby.
Old 12-15-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Yes, all my packages come from Greenville now.
Old 12-15-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how they ship out of Greenville now. Nothing is better than 1-3 day delivery from freakin' CH. It used to take a week or two to get to me.
Old 12-16-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Aside from the fact that you are right "next door" to Greenville, I think that part of it is that the USPS handles Media Mail more efficiently nowadays. I have had pretty quick delivery from Columbia House the past couple of years and I am nowhere near Indiana or South Carolina.

As you may know, Media Mail is low priority and is supposed to be the last thing to go on the truck at each node in the USPS shipping system, if space is available. But, in my experience, it seems to move almost as fast as First Class most of the time.

Last edited by lizard; 12-16-07 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-21-07, 06:17 PM

Well my order of 11/19 still had not arrived as of 12/19. I pre-ordered the latest Harry Potter on 11/19 as well, but I did receive that after the release date. Meanwhile I received a "friendly" email reminder that I had an account balance. I paid only the Harry Potter charge once I received that DVD.

On 12/19 I sent an email to CH. I had sent one previously and had gotten a response, so I replied to that email. On 12/20 I received a reply from CH. They are crediting my account the amount of the un-received order, and are re-shipping the two DVDs I didn't receive. Of course, I'll be re-billed as well, but at least I'm not being penalized for being 30 days delinquent.

Other than having to wait 30 days to start the process, I'm pretty satisfied with their customer service. Hopefully I'll receive the missing DVDs in a week.
Old 12-27-07, 06:20 PM

Today, Dec. 27th, I received my replacement order. Very prompt! So again, I'm quite satisfied with the resolution, just wish I didn't have to wait so long to start the process.