Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury Ranger
When did the shipping amount get so bloody insane for sets? I am so turned off from columbia house with these shipping prices.
The shipping prices for sets have been unchanged for at least six years. Some years ago we were able to use free shipping offers on sets, but that is rarely seen now.

That said, you are overlooking the fact that a regular Columbia House membership is best looked at as a package deal and sets come with the shipping charge. If one values the fulfillment credit correctly, many sets, especially the ones "special" priced at $39.95 or more, are much cheaper from CH than elsewhere. And the fact that a set can be used to qualify for a free DVD with a BOGOF sale offer also defrays the cost somewhat.

If it really bugs you to pay shipping on sets, you could open a CH.com account. There, sets are 40% off list price and shipping is always free. Most DVDs can be had for less with a well optimized regular club account, but CH.com is a lot less hassle.
Old 09-16-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lizard

That said, you are overlooking the fact that a regular Columbia House membership is best looked at as a package deal and sets come with the shipping charge. If one values the fulfillment credit correctly, many sets, especially the ones "special" priced at $39.95 or more, are much cheaper from CH than elsewhere. And the fact that a set can be used to qualify for a free DVD with a BOGOF sale offer also defrays the cost somewhat.
Yeah, I think a lot of folks see 6.99$ shipping for a title and flip out, regardless of what the cost of the set is and factoring in the enrollment titles. If anything, sets have finally become resonable at columbiahouse. Yes, the shipping is still the same, but, for example, I grabbed 30 Rock on release week. For about $36, I was able to get a brand new tv on dvd set, a 2 disc special edition set (Robocop) and it counted as a fulfillment. 30 Rock was no cheaper than 34.99 before tax on release week, so this was a fantastic deal, even though I paid large shipping fee.
Old 09-16-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
Yeah, I think a lot of folks see 6.99$ shipping for a title and flip out, regardless of what the cost of the set is and factoring in the enrollment titles. If anything, sets have finally become resonable at columbiahouse. Yes, the shipping is still the same, but, for example, I grabbed 30 Rock on release week. For about $36, I was able to get a brand new tv on dvd set, a 2 disc special edition set (Robocop) and it counted as a fulfillment. 30 Rock was no cheaper than 34.99 before tax on release week, so this was a fantastic deal, even though I paid large shipping fee.
That's exactly how you have to look at it. Even with shipping the sets are usually better at Columbia House than in store. This week I'm looking at Upright Citizens Brigade season 2. After shipping I can get it and the new Taxi Driver release for $21.15 (plus $8 funcash that can sometimes be useful). Meanwhile, Best Buy has UCB for $25 and most places online it's around $20. It seems like an easy choice to me.
Old 09-16-07, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not really a savings when you have to pay $16 shipping for 2 tv shows when a couple months ago it would have been under $10.
Old 09-17-07, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its not really a savings when you have to pay $16 shipping for 2 tv shows when a couple months ago it would have been under $10.

Shipping was the same a couple of months ago.
Old 09-17-07, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's all relative to the number of discs in the set...you must have had some 2/3 discs sets in your last order.
Old 09-17-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You are completely missing the point. The shipping charge is part of the cost of a set at Columbia House and has been for many years. It is based on the number of discs in the set. For the more than six years shipping for sets has been $5.99 for three discs, $6.99 for four discs, and $7.99 for five or more discs. One and two disc selections are $2.99 for the first one in an order and $1.99 for any additional titles in the same order. These shipping charges haven't changed. If you believe otherwise, you are mistaken.

The value of a fulfillment credit was about $14 last time I did the calculation, so that drastically lowers the relative cost of a set at CH, making many sets cheaper than one can get them elsewhere, shipping charge notwithstanding.
Old 09-17-07, 02:18 PM

With the 40% off plus the free title, it seems as though sets are the best way to go. I'm on my third account in the last month and I've used a set for all of my 5 fulfillments so far. I just wish there were more Criterions available as they were the best option for the free title.
Old 09-17-07, 02:20 PM

Quick question - is it possible to have 2 ColumbiaHouse accounts at one time , along with a TV Club membership?
Old 09-17-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tnfsgag
Quick question - is it possible to have 2 ColumbiaHouse accounts at one time , along with a TV Club membership?
Yes. You are allowed 2 accounts per club, per address. CH considers the TV Club as a seperate club from the DVD Club.
Old 09-17-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
More zany Columbia House stuff...

I order 'We are Marshall' as a pre-order and use a B1G1 code to get 'The Departed' for free. The code offered free s/h with 3 titles so I throw in 'Charlie & the Chocolate Factory' (the deal of the day at $6.95) and my order looks great when I placed it.

I get a note this week in the mail that they've shipped my order--but the invoice and my order history says Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is $19.95 and while the Departed is free. We are Marshall is still pending at $19.95!

I know alot of times the response to something like this is that it's normal, but this seems very odd... Anyone else have this experience? Thought I'd check before I call/e-mail them.
The above is a follow-up to my post in July. I tried to e-mail CH twice (using their contact link) to no avail. I did get overcharged $13.xx overall. Called and was told pretty quickly they'd credit my card. Now, to see how quickly that goes through...
Old 09-18-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked, but about how long does it take them to ship out a pre-order once the release date comes around? I think I read that it might take up to two weeks just to ship?
Old 09-18-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'm sure this has been asked, but about how long does it take them to ship out a pre-order once the release date comes around? I think I read that it might take up to two weeks just to ship?
They seem to be pretty good about shipping them out on release. I usually get my preorders within the first week of release. As with everything at Columbia House I'm sure that varies and other people have had different experiences, that's just how it's been for me.
Old 09-18-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, its YMMV I think. I my last pre-order (30 Rock) took over a week to show up. My 2 Pre-orders from this week don't appear to have shipped yet, but you never know.
Old 09-20-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

do you guys think knocked up will be carried by CH? i'm assuming it will show up on release day (next tuesday) much like hot fuzz did. i remember it being in their "at the box office" section so let's hope they decide to carry it.
Old 09-20-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
do you guys think knocked up will be carried by CH? i'm assuming it will show up on release day (next tuesday) much like hot fuzz did. i remember it being in their "at the box office" section so let's hope they decide to carry it.
I think they will show up on release day. I've been holding off ordering something so I could get the 2 disc for free with an order. I guess we will know Tuesday.
Old 09-20-07, 10:04 AM

Question. I've ordered two hd dvds previously with the b1g1 free plus free shipping. Do hd dvds qualify for the free shipping, cuz 300 did but blades of glory for some reason did not. I had to pay 2.99 for it. I sent a few emails to customer service but did not get a satisfying answer. I kept getting ,your order was shipped on blah blah blah email.
Old 09-20-07, 01:47 PM

I tried the B1 + 60% off + free shipping code with Troy DC HD-DVD and three SD titles and there was no shipping charge.
Old 09-20-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure Knocked Up will show up on release. It was definitely in the box office section, up until a couple days ago a search for Knocked Up still gave you that page. My main question here is what versions will be carried. I'm really hoping they offer the rated and unrated versions so I can get both cheap, but I'm expecting unrated only.
Old 09-20-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

okay well what do you guys think about the SD versions of the new kubrick releases?? think they'll show up? i really hope these will because all of these will be double dips for me which i don't mind doing as long as it's through CH and i can get them cheap.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 09-20-07 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

okay well what do you guys think about the SD versions of the new kubrick releases?? think they'll show up? i really hope these will because all of these will be double dips for me which i don't mind doing as long as it's through CH and i can get them cheap.
Well, they have the HD and BD versions of The Shining and 2001 listed for preorder now. Hopefully that means the SD versions will show up too. There's a few of the titles they don't have old versions for anymore, those I feel good about. I'm just a little worried about the ones they still stock old versions of, you just never know if Columbia House will bother with double dips.

I'm certainly hoping they show up. They won't be double dips for me, but I still don't want to pay full price.
Old 09-20-07, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
I tried the B1 + 60% off + free shipping code with Troy DC HD-DVD and three SD titles and there was no shipping charge.
Cool, will try again hopefully works for me.
Old 09-22-07, 12:25 PM
Banned

I think I already know the answer to this, but is there a buy-three-to-fulfill enrollment code that's actually BETTER than the buy-two-to-fulfill? I only ask because there are some box sets that count for three I'm interested in.
Old 09-22-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^While there aren't any three fulfillment codes better than 49¢ each for enrollments, so far as I am aware, the way to handle this is to use a standard 7:2 code and decline to take the $9.95 "bonus" DVD. This turns the code into a 6:3 code with a total enrollment cost of $2.94. Buy your three fulfillment set, plus a free DVD using a BOGOF offer, and you end up with the set plus 7 other DVDs worth about $33.60. That reduces the relative cost of the set + shipping by about $30, which is a pretty good deal.

Last edited by lizard; 09-22-07 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Knocked Up is listed on the site now. It's not showing up in the preorder section or in searches, but the single disc version is on the main page for preorder at $19.95. It's also listed as the new Director's Selection on one of my accounts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.