Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vcuram
Okay, thanks Lizard. Maybe the email servers were down for a bit and that's why I was getting the "delivery failure" notice.
Vcuram, I also have been getting the returned emails/delivery failure message if I attempt to use the contact form on the website (no matter which subject line I choose). I've had to abandon it and just email directly to [email protected]. This has been going on for months.
Old 02-10-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
What is up with these new 9:2 codes? I hope they aren't trying to ween the community into paying shipping on everything.
Columbia House has a variety of codes that they use to try to entice new customers. Unlike those of us here, most CH customers aren't aware that there are other codes besides the offer that they happen across. That being the case, I doubt that the new 9:2 codes are an attempt to train us to accept shipping charges. Rather, they are an experiment by CH to see if new customers can be enticed by a seemingly attractive offer and, perhaps, overlook the shipping charge.

Over the years, CH enrollment and sale offers have gotten better (meaning lower average DVD cost for an optimized membership). This, while DVD costs in general have fallen, not coincidentally. While CH is certainly free to raise their prices and discontinue the 7:2 codes, I have seen no evidence that they plan to do so. CH makes money on unwary customers who keep the Director's Selections, buy DVDs using the standard 50% or 60% off sale offers, and the like. The cheap enrollments are intended to get new customers "in the door", so to speak.

All this is "JMO". But I do have seven years experience in buying DVDs from Columbia House so I have been watching their marketing practices for a long time.
Old 02-13-08, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu Ray Titles for Enrollment?

Hi. Does Columbia House offer any BR titles available for enrollment? If not currently, is there any buzz about the near future?

I imagine, with the recent studio and Netflix announcements, there will be a surge of BR interest. I've been sitting on the format fence for months, and am extremely anxious to reformat my collection.
Old 02-13-08, 10:06 PM
Banned

Anyone else having problems lately?
I have 2 accounts and have 1 order awaiting shipment on one account and 2 orders on another. These are Buy 1 get one free with free shipping orders and all have been placed at least 1-3 weeks ago...I have not yet received anything and no shipping notices. On the web page all it says is awaiting credit card payment but there is nothing wrong with my credit card so I dont know why I havn't gotten any of my orders yet. Still no Across The Universe!!!!
Old 02-13-08, 10:30 PM
Cool New Member

I have an order that is listed as "waiting credit approval" but another order on the same credit card (and placed later) has already arrive. The account "awaiting credit approval" had a pre-order on it and one that has since went out of stock. I recieved an email explaining that if the "out-of-stock" DVD was not in by 3-11-08 they would cancel it and send the pre-order only.

My problem was with the order that I received. I got the correct titles but not the edition that was pictured on their website. I complained and got an email that they were sending me a replacement shipment with return postage for the incorrect shipment. I have a feeling they will be sending me the same DVDs that I already recieved.

Good luck with your orders.

jwilson813
Old 02-14-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by burndawgz
Does Columbia House offer any BR titles available for enrollment? If not currently, is there any buzz about the near future
If they did, they wouldn't keep it a secret, so heading over to their site would tell you. The answer is no, by the way.

As for the near future, there's no news here on this site about it. If somebody knew something, they'd probably post it here, since there are many Hi-Def fans here.
Old 02-14-08, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I have 2 accounts and have 1 order awaiting shipment on one account and 2 orders on another. These are Buy 1 get one free with free shipping orders and all have been placed at least 1-3 weeks ago...I have not yet received anything and no shipping notices. On the web page all it says is awaiting credit card payment but there is nothing wrong with my credit card so I dont know why I havn't gotten any of my orders yet. Still no Across The Universe!!!!

When I had that happen before, I e-mailed them and they took care of it for me and shipped out the DVD.

I'm a little pissed at CH now because they sent me a notice 2/9 saying 2 DVDs were shipped USPS Priority. I still haven't gotten them, and one was for my bf for V-Day. I got a pre-order yesterday in the mail, in which they said was shipped out yesterday Standard! Usually it only takes like, 2 days to get a DVD in the mail from them for me. Argh. I'm also mad because they are still "Awaiting stock" on the Perfect Strangers set that I ordered. :/
Old 02-14-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The "awaiting credit approval" is a catch-all category and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your credit. If your BOGOF order included a pre-order, or another title that happened to be out of stock, then the order would be held under that category until the title became available. With BOGOF orders on regular accounts Columbia House will often, but not always, hold the titles until all can be shipped at once.
Old 02-16-08, 11:18 AM
Cool New Member

Has anyone had Columbia House bill them for DVDs? I just opened an account and received notification that I was accepted. I did not give any credit card information. I thought I would place an order just to see how they would handle the payment. When I went to checkout it stated "bill me or pay with my credit card". If they "bill me" I would pay when I received the statement and then they would send the DVDs?

Thanks.

jwilson813

Last edited by jwilson813; 02-16-08 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-17-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^If you place your order as "Bill Me" you will get an invoice with your DVDs; I believe that you will have 30 days to pay. In the case of large or costly orders Columbia House may hold some of the order until previous shipments are paid for or even ask you to pay in advance. That doesn't usually happen with small orders.

You can also use a credit card at any time to pay the balance due on your account, rather than mail a check.

Since you have just opened your account, it is possible that CH will not send an order until your enrollment package is paid for (it will have an invoice in it). I presume that you haven't received the enrollment package yet.
Old 02-17-08, 08:06 PM
Cool New Member

Lizard.

Thanks for the information. You are correct I just recieved notice that my enrollment package was shipped but have not received it. I saw on the checkout page that I can make partial payments. Do they just allow the "bill me" option on random enrollments? I had a previous account and I had to provide credit card information when I enrolled.

Thanks again for your reply.

jwilson813
Old 02-17-08, 10:21 PM

^ It can't be random. I have 2 accounts in which I'm using the Bill Me option for.
Old 02-18-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jwilson813
Lizard.

Thanks for the information. You are correct I just recieved notice that my enrollment package was shipped but have not received it. I saw on the checkout page that I can make partial payments. Do they just allow the "bill me" option on random enrollments? I had a previous account and I had to provide credit card information when I enrolled.

Thanks again for your reply.

jwilson813
Some codes allow a "Bill Me" selection when enrolling, some do not. The experience of BobO'Link is that codes that require a PSN* allow "Bill Me" and the others do not. That seems reasonable to me.

*Preferred Status Number, an old account number that shows Columbia House that one has been a member in good standing before. Pretty much any account number will work, including accounts that are still open.
Old 02-27-08, 03:25 PM

ugh just signed up for my first account ever, and checked my credit card online, i have 2 temp charges, one on the day that i signed up (25th) and today.
Old 02-27-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eb3604
ugh just signed up for my first account ever, and checked my credit card online, i have 2 temp charges, one on the day that i signed up (25th) and today.
No reason to say ugh because you're in! They always do this. The first temporary charge will drop in a few days and the second one will go through. Congrats.
Old 02-27-08, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
No reason to say ugh because you're in! They always do this. The first temporary charge will drop in a few days and the second one will go through. Congrats.
woohooo thanks! especially since I've been on hold for the last 20 minutes. Now if only my tv club app goes through too, I'll be in heaven.
Old 02-28-08, 12:07 PM
Banned

I have been trying to get Bee Movie 2-disk to come up in my cart for $9.98 (which it says it will when i buy 1 selection at reg. price; which I have in my cart) but for some reason it comes up in my cart at 22.95. I am using the b1=60%off plus free S+H code so i dont why why this isnt working. It cant be cause its a preorder cause I have other pre-orders that come out on the same day (12 angry men; Gattaca SE) so i dont know what the deal is?
Anyone know how to make this work?
Old 02-29-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIt cant be cause its a preorder cause I have other pre-orders that come out on the same day (12 angry men; Gattaca SE)
I might be wrong, I don't think that's true. The same thing happened to me back when Spider-Man 3 was a pre-order. Other things showed up in the cart with discounts just fine, but not that. (To be honest, I'm glad I didn't get it, as SpM3 seems like a very incomplete movie, and I'd rather either not have it or wait for an extended version.)
Old 02-29-08, 09:47 AM
Cool New Member

I was trying to get a couple of DVDs with the B1G1 (2/29 only) and free shipping. When I put the selections in the cart there is no funcash earned. I know the "free" selection would not earn funcash but does anyone have any idea why the other selection should not earn funcash?

Thanks.

jwilson813
Old 03-01-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

has anyone ordered THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY from CH lately? does it still come in the old box case or is it the new amaray case?
Old 03-02-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
^I ordered this when the SE was available. That said, the picture on the site is of the SE which is in the box w/bonus "posters". However, the description is of the CE and the "release date" on the site shows June 5, 2007 which matches with that of the CE plus the selection number is different than the old SE. So based on that it *should* be the newest release.

If the newer CE comes in an amaray case I might have to look at a double-dip simply to get rid of the awful box the SE came in! I *hate* "special packaging" and "digipak" packaging. I like plain old amaray or slim-line amaray type packaging.
Old 03-02-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I ordered this when the SE was available. That said, the picture on the site is of the SE which is in the box w/bonus "posters". However, the description is of the CE and the "release date" on the site shows June 5, 2007 which matches with that of the CE plus the selection number is different than the old SE. So based on that it *should* be the newest release.

If the newer CE comes in an amaray case I might have to look at a double-dip simply to get rid of the awful box the SE came in! I *hate* "special packaging" and "digipak" packaging. I like plain old amaray or slim-line amaray type packaging.
thanks, i think i'll re-order it to get rid of that box as well and i agree about special packaging/digpaks 100%
Old 03-14-08, 05:35 PM

I've had a perfered account for about 7 years having purchased 150+ disk with an average price of 10+. Last summer I stumbled onto this wonderful site and cycled 3 accounts (1 at a time while leaving my perfered account open) during the second half of '07, but since then I've been unable to get an new account open. I've tried using PSN from mailings, credit card and various 7:2 codes. I've haven't even got a rejection note, not one.

I perfer online, any suggestion? BTW, how long should I wait between tries? Is 10 days enough?

Thanks
Old 03-15-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^You should probably wait at least two weeks before applying again with the same titles, because of the risk of a delayed approval and duplicate enrollment selections. With different titles you can try again in a few days.

Your experience with on-line applications is typical: most are "lost" (disappear without a trace) or rejected (one gets a polite letter declining the application). It has nothing to do with the code used nor the PSN.

Phone applications have a higher success rate, as do mail-in applications (if you happen to receive one with a good 7:2 code). For on-line applications you will just have to keep trying periodically until one goes through.
Old 03-16-08, 01:50 PM
Cool New Member

Has anyone had an order disappear from their "Order History"?

I mean I placed an order for the "$50 and Free Shipping" but it has disappear.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact I changed the shipping address for this order.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.