Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Regular price check, please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular price check, please

I'm thinking of joining the Columbia House dvd club, but I'm mainly interested in older titles (40's, 50's, and 60's). Before I join, I want to make sure that I can find two titles on my want list that have a regular club price of $19.99 so I can use them for my committment selections. My concern is that the titles I am interested in may have regular prices less than $19.95, and then I might have difficulty finding titles to fulfill my committment.

So, could anyone who is currently a member do a price check for me on a few titles I am interested in, listed below? Hopefully there will be two or more that are regularly $19.95 and then I can save these for my committment selections. I am not able to view regular prices yet as I'm currently not a member.

Psycho (Hitchcock version)
The Birds
Witness for the Prosecution
Strangers on a Train (2 disc special edition)
Shadow of a Doubt
Vertigo
Rear Window
Stage Fright
The Wrong Man
Dial M for Murder
Foreign Correspondent

Thanks for you help!
Old 07-21-07, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Columbia House price check

The titles you're interested in are priced as follows:

Psycho (Hitchcock version) $19.95
The Birds $19.95
Witness for the Prosecution $19.95
Strangers on a Train (2 disc special edition) $26.99
Shadow of a Doubt $19.95
Vertigo $19.95
Rear Window $19.95
Stage Fright $14.95
The Wrong Man $14.95
Dial M for Murder $19.95
Foreign Correspondent $19.95

I would certainly get as many as these as possible in your "welcome" package.

I'm currently a member - any other titles you're looking for?
Old 07-21-07, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by EarlB

The Birds $19.95
Shadow of a Doubt $19.95
Vertigo $19.95
Rear Window $19.95
Stage Fright $14.95
The Wrong Man $14.95
Dial M for Murder $19.95

Hi,

I'm in a similar position as the OP. Do you think it would be possible for you to look up these titles as well:

Taxi Driver - Collectors Edition
Neil Young - Heart of Gold - 2 disc Collector's Edition
Gandhi - 2 disc Collector's Edition
Where Eagles Dare
Shrek - Special Edition
Saving Private Ryan - 4 disc boxset
Gladiator - Extended Edition
Top Gun
Tommy - Superbit
Goodfellas
The Graduate
Guns of Navarone
Bridge on the River Kwai

Thanks - I'll be very grateful if you could do that. If not, I completely understand.
Old 07-21-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ec461
Hi,

I'm in a similar position as the OP. Do you think it would be possible for you to look up these titles as well:

Thanks - I'll be very grateful if you could do that. If not, I completely understand.
Taxi Driver - Collectors Edition $22.95 (This is still a preorder of course.)
Neil Young - Heart of Gold - 2 disc Collector's Edition $19.95
Gandhi - 2 disc Collector's Edition $24.95
Where Eagles Dare $14.95
Shrek - Special Edition $19.95
Saving Private Ryan - 4 disc boxset $29.97
Gladiator - Extended Edition $20.97 (This and the one above are box sets, so no free shipping on them.)
Top Gun $12.95
Tommy - Superbit $21.95
Goodfellas $21.95
The Graduate $19.95 (They also have the older version at $14.95)
Guns of Navarone $24.95 (This is the CE and not available for enrollment, the old single disc SE is $19.95)
Bridge on the River Kwai $29.95 (That's the two disc, no enrollment version. Single disc version is $21.95)

What I like to do is get the $19.95 and up titles as enrollment when possible. Then I use preorders or $19.95 titles to fulfill. For the lower priced titles I just use other sales and codes to get them.

Last edited by smashthesymbols; 07-21-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-21-07, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Taxi Driver - Collectors Edition $22.95 (This is still a preorder of course.)
Neil Young - Heart of Gold - 2 disc Collector's Edition $19.95
Gandhi - 2 disc Collector's Edition $24.95
Where Eagles Dare $14.95
Shrek - Special Edition $19.95
Saving Private Ryan - 4 disc boxset $29.97
Gladiator - Extended Edition $20.97 (This and the one above are box sets, so no free shipping on them.)
Top Gun $12.95
Tommy - Superbit $21.95
Goodfellas $21.95
The Graduate $19.95 (They also have the older version at $14.95)
Guns of Navarone $24.95 (This is the CE and not available for enrollment, the old single disc SE is $19.95)
Bridge on the River Kwai $29.95 (That's the two disc, no enrollment version. Single disc version is $21.95)

What I like to do is get the $19.95 and up titles as enrollment when possible. Then I use preorders or $19.95 titles to fulfill. For the lower priced titles I just use other sales and codes to get them.
Thanks a lot. For the titles less that $19.95, do they cost less than $4.80 per title with codes? I ask because according to my math, with a fully optimized account (7 enrollment/2 fulfillment code and fulfillment with B1G1 with free shipping codes), the per title cost comes out to $4.80 per title (perhaps even lower if you can use the $5 off $30 code on the fulfillment order).
Old 07-21-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, generally speaking. Just include them in your enrollment or as a free title in the B1G1. And I haven't heard of the $5 coupon being active in a long time.
Old 07-21-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ec461
Thanks a lot. For the titles less that $19.95, do they cost less than $4.80 per title with codes? I ask because according to my math, with a fully optimized account (7 enrollment/2 fulfillment code and fulfillment with B1G1 with free shipping codes), the per title cost comes out to $4.80 per title (perhaps even lower if you can use the $5 off $30 code on the fulfillment order).
Generally speaking $4.80 is the best you can get. That's why we all cycle accounts, myself included. It's just that it can sometimes be tough to get a new account open. That's why I always get the higher priced titles with my enrollments and freebies, rather than "waste" those on a cheap title. With the right codes and a bit of luck you can pick up the $12.95 and under titles and still keep your average in the $5.00 to $5.50 range. It's not as good as $4.80, but it's still a hell of a deal compared to other places.

It all depends on what you want to get out of the club though. I'm just trying to get a good chunk of my wantlist without spending $10 or $15 per DVD. I'd like to get them all at $4.80, but I also don't want to wait months and months for new enrollments to go through. For me getting them now is worth paying a few extra cents.

Last edited by smashthesymbols; 07-21-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-22-07, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by EarlB

The Birds $19.95
Shadow of a Doubt $19.95
Vertigo $19.95
Rear Window $19.95
Stage Fright $14.95
The Wrong Man $14.95
Dial M for Murder $19.95

Thanks very much, Earl! This certainly helps me plan my strategy. Since you offered, there are a few other titles I'm interested in but they did not show up when I was typing in titles on the sign-up website. So I figured CH does not carry them. But if you don't mind checking, I'd appreciate it:

Charade
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Frenzy
The Third Man
Rope
Lifeboat (maybe Life Boat)

Thanks!
Old 07-22-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moonraker
Thanks very much, Earl! This certainly helps me plan my strategy. Since you offered, there are a few other titles I'm interested in but they did not show up when I was typing in titles on the sign-up website. So I figured CH does not carry them. But if you don't mind checking, I'd appreciate it:

Charade
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Frenzy
The Third Man
Rope
Lifeboat (maybe Life Boat)

Thanks!
you're listing movies that CH doesnt even carry. if you're going to ask someone to do this the least you could do is make sure CH carries it.
Old 07-22-07, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
you're listing movies that CH doesnt even carry. if you're going to ask someone to do this the least you could do is make sure CH carries it.

Then I apologize. I thought that maybe some titles might not show up on the new person sign-up website, but might be available to existing club members. In other words, I was looking for confirmation that these titles really aren't carried by CH. I certainly wasn't trying to be rude.
Old 07-22-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by moonraker
Then I apologize. I thought that maybe some titles might not show up on the new person sign-up website, but might be available to existing club members. In other words, I was looking for confirmation that these titles really aren't carried by CH. I certainly wasn't trying to be rude.
If a title shows up on the enrollment site then CH carries it... otherwise they don't and even that can change while you are in the process of getting an account open. If a title you select becomes unavailable before your enrollment package ships you'll get a voucher that can be used to order something else. Titles that are available after you join but NOT as part of an enrollment package are listed as "members only".
Old 07-22-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm holding off on buying "Psycho" and "The Birds" until we find out if the rumored (by The Digital Bits) 2-disc Legacy Series sets for each of those are really going to come out. I would love to see that come to fruition. If the OP is into SE's like that, I'd suggest waiting a few more months before picking those as enrollment or commitment selections.