Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

HD is Here!!!(Well, Sort Of)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HD is Here!!!(Well, Sort Of)

I was just on the CH site and they have 300 up for pre-order. They also have links to the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray versions. As of right now, these links take you to a blank page. Hopefully it will be sorted out by tomorrow and we can see what kind of HD deals that we can expect. Happy times!
Old 07-03-07, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow... time to cancel that account i just fulfilled so i can get in on this insanity
Old 07-03-07, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh, heck yeah. Much sooner than I anticipated. Can't wait until they add additional titles. Time to cancel my very old fulfilled account.
Old 07-03-07, 06:03 AM

They're no longer blank pages!!!
Old 07-03-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can get these with a BOGO. Using 802366, you can preorder 300 for $29.96 and take a Criterion for free. The only two titles that I notice so far are preorders for 300 and Blades of Glory. Hopefully they'll add some catalog titles(Batman Begins for example) soon.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 07-03-07 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-03-07, 11:21 AM

39.95 SRP / 26.96 PRE ORDER FOR THE HD-DVD/DVD COMBO
34.95 SRP / 26.21 PRE ORDER FOR THE BLU-RAY

as fulfillments this is spectacular, however... im not really buying dvds in the quantity that i can do new account to get these cheap.... as stated by James, i may be better off just using a B1G1 code to get 2 HD-DVDS or a tv set and an HD dvd just regular strait as a member....

this could be an interesting turn in CH deal making - until that is... these titles can become enrollment titles.
Old 07-03-07, 01:53 PM

Well, at least we now know that it won't be a separate club.
Old 07-03-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whether these HD titles can be used with sale offers, such as BOGOF, remains to be seen (they work as the "buy one", but my guess would be that they won't work as the "get one free"). If Columbia House did allow the HD discs as freebies, that could be a decent deal compared to other retail prices. But the pricing structure seems to be more akin to "special" priced box sets.

Purchase as a fulfillment would be best, but those of us buying HD DVDs and BDs tend to not be interested in buying SD DVDs, so it would be hard to find enough enrollment DVDs. [I'd be very surprised if High Def discs become available for enrollment, and have so marked the "Not Yet Available" list.] Perhaps if one could pair up with a friend who is mostly interested in SD DVDs, that could be a way to buy a few HD discs as fulfillments.

Last edited by lizard; 07-03-07 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-03-07, 03:43 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lizard
Whether these HD titles can be used with sale offers, such as BOGOF, remains to be seen
According to post #5 in this thread, they do work with BOGOF (as the buy one, like you guessed would be the case).

If this turns out to be true and more HD-DVDs are made available, it looks like I'll be joining CH again.
Old 07-03-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Yes, I was in the process of editing my post to reflect testing that. Since they are now pre-orders, it will be some time before we will know if they can be the "freebies". But I doubt it.
Old 07-03-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yes, I was in the process of editing my post to reflect testing that. Since they are now pre-orders, it will be some time before we will know if they can be the "freebies". But I doubt it.
Don't be such a negative Nellie!
Old 07-04-07, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Don't be such a negative Nellie!
agreed... as a pre-order we have no idea... let's all buckle down and wait for the end of the month.
Old 07-04-07, 03:08 AM

all that being true, you still have a ton of deals to be found here... assuming you're willing to sell some DVDs on Ebay....

let's take a standard 5 for 49 cents each with 2 more to buy and you use b1g1 w/ free shipping

so, 2 HD-DVDs come out to $60 and you get 7 more DVDs for $2.50...

take a look at every new release:

Shooter --- http://cgi.ebay.com/Shooter-2007-DVD...QQcmdZViewItem ---- sells for about $10 + shipping - very conservative estimate --- probably closer to $13-15

Ghoast Rider --- http://cgi.ebay.com/Ghost-Rider-2007...QQcmdZViewItem --- $13 + shipping --- should finish for at least that much

you get the idea... and with the HD-DVDs, everything else qualifies as free including criterions which sell for even more... do you know how many copies of just like Heaven and Munich i got for free in November / December... i sold those off and made about $150...

So let's be conservative and say you make $9 a DVD you sell on ebay:
you sell 7 DVDs for $9 each to make $63 and you spent a total of $62.50 + tax on your DVDs... and you get to keep 2 HD-DVDs essentially for free

now this is a worst case scenario assuming that you can't get 2 free HD-DVDs you could potentially end up with 4 HD-DVDs for about $18 --- higher per DVD but a lot less work... but the fact that they qualify for free shipping tells me that they can be the G1 part of the B1G1 sale....

for me, i won't be going to ebay, as i still want to fill out my regular def collection with a lot of older films that will never be available in high-def... and i only own about 50 of the 75 AFI top 100 movies available on CH
Old 07-04-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Couple of things:

First, for many of us, selling on ebay is way more trouble than it is worth. If you figured out how much time you spend researching which titles are selling for the best prices, listing them, packaging and mailing them, you would likely be "earning" considerably less than minimum wage. Most of us can't be bothered nowadays.

Second, while you are filling out your collection of older titles (and I agree that some of them won't be appearing on HD discs any time soon), a lot of us who have HD DVD and/or BD players have long ago stopped buying SD DVDs, save for certain special category things like "TV on DVD".

So, for many of us, buying a bunch of SD DVDs that we really neither need nor want, to save a few bucks on HD DVD and BD, doesn't make a lot of sense (or "cents"). Now, if Columbia House offered deals sufficiently good to let us buy the HD discs on our existing accounts, that would be something else entirely! An example would be if they allowed HD discs to be used as both ends of BOGOF plus free shipping, making them effectively half of the CH "sale price" of $26-$30. Now that would be a decent deal! While I don't see it happening, I'd love to be wrong.

-the Clubs forum "negative Nellie"
Old 07-04-07, 01:57 PM

now, the actual listing of DVDs on ebay isn't hard. I was an econ major in college and if you know anything about auction theory, start the bid off at .01 and it'll go towards market value (so you don't have to look at what price the DVD sells for). Not too much to research, just order DVDs from the top 100 on CH, i looked at the top 2 non pre-orders in the above listings

personally, i'm in med school, i def. don't have time for that... hell, i only own about 300 DVDs and i haven't seen more than 1/4 of them... now back in the days when i was playing poker full time, then maybe i could've found the time to list them (then again, i was making $200 an hour in the good old days)

But honestly, if you list 15-20 DVDs on the same day, sell them all and have them end around the same time, say that paypal is the only method of payment and then ship within 3 days where you're receive all your payments, it really doesn't work out to minimum wage (probably closer to $15-20 an hour)... all that being said, i don't even own an HD-DVD player yet and am well on my way to being $250K in debt so i don't see me getting one in the forseeable future...

that being said, this might be very beneficial to quite a few people, just not for me right now...
Old 07-04-07, 03:38 PM

I'm hoping that the enrollment offers become either HD or SD centric. For example, instead of our buy [email protected] plus 2 [email protected] we could have:

"Buy any four HD-DVD or BD titles @ 99 cents each (free shipping) and have only three more to buy at regular club prices. As a bonus, buy a fourth HD title at 14.95 and have only two more to buy later on."

This coupled with a B1G1 could bring the average price to around $9 (cheaper with free shipping). That's probably about the right price point for me to start building an HD library. Anything more and I'll just stick with my current Netflix plan. I'm getting HD-DVD titles in two days including new releases (often the week of release). That's tough competition for CH even at $5 per title for SD. Like others, my SD purchases have been drastically reduced since I joined the HD-DVD camp. I'll be dual format as soon as the BD crowd offers a $199 player.
Old 07-04-07, 04:29 PM

^^

i'm going to be the one on the negative side on this one. I don't see that happening at least for that price. And definately not in the near future. Now if they had something similar to the TV Club like HDL, i could see that happening soon. Where you buy one for $9.95 get 1 free, then have to buy 2 more...

so basically $10 for the first 2, then buy 2 get 2 free at $30 each...

So you end up with 6 HD-DVDs for $70 (~~$11.50 per DVD + tax) and a little bit of Fun Cash as well

still not bad, but not amazing by any means... but i don't see them doing something similar to the standard club where your average DVD price works out to about $5 a disc
Old 07-04-07, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by blaze1984
but i don't see them doing something similar to the standard club where your average DVD price works out to about $5 a disc
That's why my example worked out to about $9 a disk.
Old 07-04-07, 06:18 PM

there is one huge flaw in your reasoning blaze... you aren't getting new titles for enrollment, your getting titles that are 3-6 months old... however i dont totally flaw your reasoning...

by my figures it would be this... 6 semi recent titles for 2.50 then 3 HD discs as fufillments (+ b1g1f code) now lets say each hd disc is average $27

your looking at $81 + 15$ s/h = $96 for your 6 HD Discs

then say after all is said and done you get $6 for each SD title on ebay... thats 36 dollars back.....

$60 for 6 HD-DVDs

not a bad deal... but the effort is huge... there may be more worthwhile methods....

ideally you would need someone who needs SD to go in with you and you split the savings from the cheapos.... you'd wind up at the same figure, but less hassle.

as someone who personally is pretty much done buying standard dvds - im monitoring this situation very closely.
Old 07-04-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll wait til they have more HD titles, but I'm glad to see they're here, and not a separate club...
Old 07-18-07, 06:32 PM

Looks like CH.com will carry HD and Blu-Ray as well. They have 300 HD/DVD combo for pre-order at 23.99 and Blu-Ray at $20.99 which is cheaper than any other online retailer. So, if you can't use coupons at columbia house for the Hi Def titles, you may be able to still get a heck of a deal at ch.com.