DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Should I wait?

Old 05-21-07, 11:22 PM

Should I wait?

About a year ago, I abruptly stopped any CH purchases in anticipation for the switch to HD or bluray. Well obviously that's nowhere in site, and it's gonna be a while.

Should I even bother waiting anymore? Apparently the two formats themselves aren't doing so hot (as should be, the format wars have to end!!).
Old 05-21-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hard to say. At least at CH prices with all the sales, you are saving like 60% on your DVD purchases! It's going to be a long time before you'll ever be able to get cheap HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray discs I'd bet. By the way, I think Blu-Ray is going to win. It seems to have more exclusive releases than HD-DVD and Sony & Disney both supporting it exclusively will be the nail in HD-DVD's coffin I'm betting.

At this point, you could buy stuff on DVD that will take years to be released in HD.
Old 05-22-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it is routine stuff I just buy it from CH for $5. If it is available on HD DVD and is something I really want in high definition, I get it from Amazon or wherever I can get the best deal (just got The Complete Matrix Trilogy [HD DVD] yesterday from Warner Home Video, very nice set). I also use Netflix for HD DVDs that I want to watch but don't really want to own at current prices.

Perhaps someday CH will offer high def titles but it is hard to see it happening soon given the small sales numbers for the formats thus far.
Old 05-22-07, 12:26 PM

I don't think you'll see it anytime soon. Personally I think both formats will be around for a while.
Old 05-22-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just get an upconvert dvd player and buy standard dvds. At this point I don't see huge enough differences between standard and high-def dvds to justify the 10-15 dollar price difference. Wait until high-def is the norm and the prices drop. Who knows when CH will carry one or the other or even bother buying into the whole thing.
Old 05-22-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Or you could spend ~$250 to get an HD DVD player plus five free HD DVDs and it is also an excellent upconverting SD DVD player... And then just Netflix HD DVDs until prices drop and good deals can be found.

Yes, upconverted SD DVDs are pretty good if the disc is well mastered. I agree that, for most titles, upconverted SD DVDs are good enough. But the cost of an HD DVD player is now so cheap why not buy one? (Assuming that one has an HD display, of course.)
Old 05-28-07, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
Or you could spend ~$250 to get an HD DVD player plus five free HD DVDs and it is also an excellent upconverting SD DVD player... And then just Netflix HD DVDs until prices drop and good deals can be found.
This is a good approach. Two years ago, I upgraded my HT and almost bought a new upconverting SD DVD player. At that time, the good Panasonic's were running about $300. Now, as Lizard suggested, I can buy an HD DVD player with superior upconverting capability for less money. As long as I don't invest a King's ransom in overpriced media, I really can't lose. I'll probably wait until I upgrade my 720p projector to 1080p before making the jump into HD players.

Like the OP, I also reduced my CH purchasing last year in anticipation of a future jump to HD media, however I'm still cycling an account every two or three months as new releases become available. I'm somewhat skeptical regarding how much effort will be put into remastering older titles into HD masters even when SD DVD fades into the sunset. In many cases, I expect the studios to simply utilize the existing masters and "upconvert" them on the front end into 1080 with little added effort. We've seen evidence of this already with some of the initial title releases.

Last edited by viking99; 05-29-07 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by viking99
...I'm somewhat skeptical regarding how much effort will be put into remastering older titles into HD masters even when SD DVD fades into the sunset. In many cases, I expect the studios to simply utilize the existing masters and "upconvert" them on the front end into 1080 with little added effort. We've seen evidence of this already with some of the initial title releases.
It depends on what you mean by "older titles". Most of the really old titles I have seen on HD DVD have been stunning in picture quality. Things like Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Forbidden Planet, The Searchers, Grand Prix, even Blazing Saddles, are truly outstanding on HD DVD.

But more recent "lesser" movies might get a slapdash high def treatment, at least at first, as you suggest. An example you were probably thinking of was The Fifth Element on Blu-ray Disc. The outcry over that poor release was so great that Sony is already releasing an improved version, the first high def "double dip".

For really recent titles, those from the last few years, my understanding is that the SD DVDs were made from high def masters because the studios were anticipating the new HD formats. Those titles should look and sound great on HD DVD and BD.
Old 05-29-07, 03:49 PM

But more recent "lesser" movies might get a slapdash high def treatment, at least at first, as you suggest. An example you were probably thinking of was The Fifth Element on Blu-ray Disc. The outcry over that poor release was so great that Sony is already releasing an improved version, the first high def "double dip".
Yep, I was refering more to the lesser movies that were not produced within the past couple of years. Many of the recent releases include the statement "Mastered in High Definition" on the back of the case. I would fully expect the HD-DVD releases of those to be outstanding.
Old 05-30-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the reasons I have paid little attention to HD/BR DVD is because I can still get more than half of my buys through CH for under $5/title, and many of the rest (older TV sets, others) would have little or no benefit from being on HD/BR. Currently HD/BR go for 5-7 times what I pay for SD-DVD titles...hardly worth it. When CH starts offering them and I can get them for $5-$10/title, that's when I'll feel it's worth the switch and think about even upgrading select titles I already own.
Old 05-30-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^While I agree in general with your point, if one shops carefully for HD DVDs one can get most of them for much less than 5x a Columbia House SD DVD. The most I have paid for a single HD DVD is $17.95, via the 10% Amazon discount (no longer available for new customers). Comparing B&M store prices, like those at Best Buy, to Columbia House isn't fair. There are on-line deals to be had for many HD DVDs and BDs.
Old 05-30-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^While I agree in general with your point, if one shops carefully for HD DVDs one can get most of them for much less than 5x a Columbia House SD DVD. The most I have paid for a single HD DVD is $17.95, via the 10% Amazon discount (no longer available for new customers). Comparing B&M store prices, like those at Best Buy, to Columbia House isn't fair. There are on-line deals to be had for many HD DVDs and BDs.
To be honest I can't say I've been scouring specifically for HD/BR deals. I'm going by what I see when the prices come up as I comparison search DVD titles looking for SD DVD bargains. That being said, I'm not comparing to B&M because I see no purpose in checking their prices as I haven't bought from one in years (other than the occasional loss-leader release day Disney title from Wal-Mart).
Old 05-31-07, 10:32 AM
Suspended

i'm also going the sd-upconversion route for the next couple of years

considering i went from a standard square CRT 32" to an HD 16x9 55", it pretty much feels like full HD to me.

also the price difference in discs is just too great... esp now that HD/BR prices seem to actually be adding fuel to the sd-dvd price decline fire. it's encouraging to see HD/BR titles on sale for $18 now and again.. but...

i'm getting standard def. 2-disc special editions for $5 on sale at this point so i can afford to wait out the format war

renting HD titles is a good idea though

when i upgrade my TV from 1080i to 1080p i'll probably dive into the HD world head first and try it that way.
Old 06-01-07, 11:33 AM

Good news, when I logged in to my Columbiahouse account they had message box to the left with FAQ about High Definition and in the FAQ they said they would begin carrying HD and BD titles in Fall 2007. They also had a link that would notify you when they become available
Old 06-01-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by michaema
Good news, when I logged in to my Columbiahouse account they had message box to the left with FAQ about High Definition and in the FAQ they said they would begin carrying HD and BD titles in Fall 2007. They also had a link that would notify you when they become available
I just saw this too when I clicked through the new B1G1 offer. I'm thinking of holding off on fulfilling my account until then - between HD-DVD and Netflix I'm not looking to grow my SD-DVD collection much anymore.
Old 06-01-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

michaema, that IS good news. Thanks for posting it!
Old 06-01-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW, with the current DDD 20% off sale, there are lots of HD DVD classics and other older releases listed at $19.32. That works out to $15.46 each. While that's not $5 like we get SD DVDs for from Columbia House, it is a whole lot less than the $25-$30 that some people think that HD DVDs cost.

Example titles available for that $15.46 price:

Casablanca [HD DVD]
Adventures of Robin Hood [HD DVD]
Grand Prix [HD DVD]
Mutiny on the Bounty [HD DVD]
Searchers [HD DVD]
Forbidden Planet [HD DVD]
Bullitt [HD DVD]
Getaway [HD DVD]
Batman Begins [HD DVD]
Superman: The Movie [HD DVD]
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut [HD DVD]
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory [HD DVD]
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [HD DVD]
Corpse Bride [HD DVD]
V For Vendetta [HD DVD]
Under Siege [HD DVD]
Caddyshack [HD DVD]
Goodfellas [HD DVD]
Last Samurai [HD DVD]
Troy [HD DVD]
Unforgiven [HD DVD]
Blazing Saddles [HD DVD]
Lethal Weapon [HD DVD]
Lethal Weapon 2 [HD DVD]
Space Cowboys [HD DVD]
Battle of the Bulge [HD DVD]
Road Warrior [HD DVD]
Dog Day Afternoon [HD DVD]
Scanner Darkly [HD DVD]
Million Dollar Baby [HD DVD]
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines [HD DVD]
Constantine [HD DVD]
Enter the Dragon [HD DVD]
Perfect Storm [HD DVD]
Training Day [HD DVD]
Wicker Man [HD DVD]
Beerfest [HD DVD]
March of the Penguins [HD DVD]
Old 06-01-07, 06:39 PM

Best news I've received today! I'm surprised that CH is planning to carry HD-DVD. Isn't Sony the parent company now (somewhere up the corporate chain)?
Old 06-02-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yuppers, Sony BMG.
Old 06-02-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Sony actually owns BMG. A few years back they merged their music divisions to form the Sony BMG label, but the rest of the companies are still separate. BMG's parent is a German company called Bertelsmann.
Old 06-02-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Correct. Sony is a partner in just one of the Bertelsmann subsidiaries (one of the music divisions, IIRC). Columbia House is run by a different division of the company. That being the case, it doesn't surprise me that CH would sell both HD DVD and BD.

However, it seems unlikely that CH will be able to sell Fox or Disney/Touchstone/Miramax/Pixar Blu-ray Discs because they don't sell the SD DVDs now. Although CH mentions those studios in their HD Q&A, don't get your hopes up for the full BD line of discs.
Old 06-02-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right, it is more correctly Sony -slash- BMG, as opposed to Sony-->BMG-->CH.