DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Returning A DVD to Columbia House?

Old 04-26-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Returning A DVD to Columbia House?

How is Columbia House about returns? I just got The Green Mile Two Disc Special Edition from them, but mine only has disc two. The entire tray that disc one should be in is missing from the case. I went to the returns and exchanges part under help, but the item isn't listed there. Anyone know what I should do? Any advice for dealing with them on something like this?
Old 04-26-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always call. I think I just go through the motions of placing an order, but when I get a csr, I tell them I need to do a return. It's been a while, I don't really remember.

They will likely tell you to throw it away, and they'll send a replacement.
Old 04-26-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boy, I have Green Mile in a shipment that should arrive any day now. I hope mine has both discs!
Old 04-26-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by basaro
I always call. I think I just go through the motions of placing an order, but when I get a csr, I tell them I need to do a return. It's been a while, I don't really remember.

They will likely tell you to throw it away, and they'll send a replacement.
I always email them with the same results. They usually tell me that if that happens again I can just send it back to them and they'll send a replacement but why I would do that I don't know--it would cost me money (shipping), hastle (going to the post office) and a free case.
Old 04-26-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ginwen, how do you usually email them? Do you just use the contact us form? If so which subject?

Dane, you may wanna check it out. Mine was pretty obvious something was wrong as soon as I picked it up. I pretty well knew what to expect since I have a bunch of the Warner two discs, and this one felt light and I couldn't hear or feel that tray rattling inside.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far guys. I hope they do tell me to just toss this one and they'll mail a new copy out. I don't wanna mess with going to the post office. Besides, this one is junk anyway, it's not good for much but the case.
Old 04-26-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Mine came in the mail today and thankfully had both discs.
Old 04-26-07, 09:03 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Smash,

To email them I usually use either of 2 email addresses

1) [email protected]

or

2) [email protected]

You'll get a generic automated reply within about 20mins but then should hear something back from a CSR within 24 hours. But with it been the weekend it might not be until first thing Monday morning.

I don't think you'll have any problems at all. I ordered 'The Frighteners' Directrors Cut that came with the slip cover and completely selaed with the sticker over the top and bottom of the case. I opened everything up and wouldn't you know it, no discs whatsoever at all.
Anyway, I emailed them and they sent out a replacement pronto
Old 04-26-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Ginwen, how do you usually email them? Do you just use the contact us form? If so which subject?

Dane, you may wanna check it out. Mine was pretty obvious something was wrong as soon as I picked it up. I pretty well knew what to expect since I have a bunch of the Warner two discs, and this one felt light and I couldn't hear or feel that tray rattling inside.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far guys. I hope they do tell me to just toss this one and they'll mail a new copy out. I don't wanna mess with going to the post office. Besides, this one is junk anyway, it's not good for much but the case.
Try [email protected] Be sure to include your account number and the selection number of the DVD that you need replaced. If you haven't had any returns on your account before, the CSRs will almost always tell you to toss the defective DVD and they will just send a replacement.

After one has had a return on an account they will send a return label for any subsequent DVDs that need to be replaced. Even though it costs Columbia House more to do this, the idea is to prevent the "ethically challenged" from taking advantage of their lenient replacement policy.
Old 04-26-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks again. I just emailed [email protected] and told them I received a DVD that was missing a disc and asked about a replacement. I kept it very short and gave them the order, selection and account numbers.
Old 04-27-07, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
the CSRs will almost always tell you to toss the defective DVD and they will just send a replacement.
i have had a couple of problems like this (we've probably opened and closed close to 80-100 accounts since 2001, no exaggeration) and am dealing with one currently...
i have NEVER had them tell me to toss the disc- they always expect it returned and have done so again with my latest problem.
just over 2 weeks ago i got my latest introductory package missing one title- the 1939 version of HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. they quickly sent one after i emailed CS- but it came packaged with a 30 YEARS OF NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SPECIALS disc packaged in the HUNCHBACK WB cardboard case!
i thought they wouldn't expect me to return it but they did- and before i get a replacement sent!

Originally Posted by lizard
After one has had a return on an account they will send a return label for any subsequent DVDs that need to be replaced. Even though it costs Columbia House more to do this, the idea is to prevent the "ethically challenged" from taking advantage of their lenient replacement policy.
also- return labels are now printed on the back of the receipt placed in your package. you will be instructed to use that label for your return.

Last edited by elektrohog; 04-27-07 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-27-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by elektrohog
also- return labels are now printed on the back of the receipt placed in your package. you will be instructed to use that label for your return.
I don't recall those "return labels" being pre-paid. When I've had a problem, I've emailed CH (at above emails) asking for a pre-paid label. Figured, why should I have to pay for their mistake.
Old 04-27-07, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by thejester
I don't recall those "return labels" being pre-paid. When I've had a problem, I've emailed CH (at above emails) asking for a pre-paid label. Figured, why should I have to pay for their mistake.
their CS email recommended i use the label on the back of the receipt.
i wrote "return to sender" in a few locations on the box and handed it off to my carrier (who is a bmg club addict and the best carrier i've ever had)- he told me as long as my return address isn't on the box it will go to the customer service addy on the box- the postal system has no other choice but to forward it to them.
why go to the PO and pay?
btw, those who are club addicts have probably noticed new receipts (with little stickies that keep your receipt/package info more private during shipping)...these are the ones with the return label on the back. you can actually fold it so the return address info shows thru the cardboard box window.

Last edited by elektrohog; 04-27-07 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-27-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by elektrohog
i have had a couple of problems like this (we've probably opened and closed close to 80-100 accounts since 2001, no exaggeration) and am dealing with one currently...
i have NEVER had them tell me to toss the disc- they always expect it returned and have done so again with my latest problem.
just over 2 weeks ago i got my latest introductory package missing one title- the 1939 version of HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. they quickly sent one after i emailed CS- but it came packaged with a 30 YEARS OF NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SPECIALS disc packaged in the HUNCHBACK WB cardboard case!
i thought they wouldn't expect me to return it but they did- and before i get a replacement sent!

Sounds as if they are changing their returns policy. I haven't had to do a return in some time. But I agree with thejester, if it is their mistake, they should pay for the return shipping.

I don't know that I'd trust doing it the way your letter carrier suggested (if the return doesn't make it back all kinds of problems ensue) but I guess it makes sense that if there is no other address on the box the USPS will send it back postage due. I think that one of the reasons for the return label on the back of the invoice is to make the return of the entire enrollment package (or Director's Selection) more straightforward. In such cases one would be expected to pay for postage.
Old 04-27-07, 11:57 AM

i remember those green labels, but something tells me this is a time/cost cutting effort. i've seen a bunch of changes since bmg bought out co house in early 2006- namely a severe cut in paper mail-out "preferred member return to the club" forms, more secure packaging, faster delivery turnaround too.
if we get a director's selection by mistake, don't they usually tell you to write "return" or "return to sender" and stick it in the mail? (maybe i'm wrong)...
if it's gonna get stolen thru the PO, i can' t stop that, but i gotta say- i get a shitload of dvds and packages a year in addition to selling stuff on ebay for years (and using only the US postal service for shipping out) and i've had literally maybe one thing go missing.
i'm pretty sure it will arrive back to them.