DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

$5 Funcash Per Title

Old 03-16-07, 08:19 PM

$5 Funcash Per Title

for the next 3 days - does not apply to $5 titles on sale... those still get $2 fun cash though... s/h costs kinda kill this deal... you'll have to buy in quantity to make it worth it - but that might be ok for those of us (myself included) who have been having trouble getting a new account opened. i will post back when i figure out what the sweet spot is.

802537 - B1 Get up to 60% off Unlimited - Extra 10% off Entire Order (THANK YOU JESTER)

this is working with the $5 fun cash helps eat into that s/h cost...

Last edited by JoN8282; 03-16-07 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-18-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
People may be missing this because $5 funcash alone is not too impressive. But the 60% off and another 10% is.

I paid (their) full price for the 2-disc edition of Dreamgirls (at $22.95 not bad in and of itself) and got 13 other new releases including even a few pre-orders being released on the 20th and the 27th, all at 60% off. After all this, even including the shipping, it's a very good deal. The $5 funcash (with which I should be able to get three more new releases soon) is the further bonus.
Old 03-18-07, 01:09 PM

the problem I am having with this is that I keep getting the average price per title down to like....$8 or so... and i'm reluctant to pull the trigger, because i can do so much better cycling accounts - unfortunately i haven't been able to get a new account open for 6 months.
Old 03-18-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by JoN8282
the problem I am having with this is that I keep getting the average price per title down to like....$8 or so... and i'm reluctant to pull the trigger, because i can do so much better cycling accounts - unfortunately i haven't been able to get a new account open for 6 months.
I don't cycle accounts for the simple reason that I don't have the patience to wait until there are enough new titles I don't have to become available for enrollment. And so I don't run into your problem.
Old 03-19-07, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by JoN8282
for the next 3 days - does not apply to $5 titles on sale... those still get $2 fun cash though... s/h costs kinda kill this deal... you'll have to buy in quantity to make it worth it - but that might be ok for those of us (myself included) who have been having trouble getting a new account opened. i will post back when i figure out what the sweet spot is.

802537 - B1 Get up to 60% off Unlimited - Extra 10% off Entire Order (THANK YOU JESTER)

this is working with the $5 fun cash helps eat into that s/h cost...
you said the magic words "s/h costs kinda kill this deal." which makes funcash worthless now.
Old 03-19-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FC isn't worthless for those of us who keep an account open all the time and never close it. I just let it add up after a few orders, and then bam, I get a new DVD for only the cost of shipping.

I haven't been able to get a new account open in months either, but that's fine by me. I just buy stuff when they have BOGO deals with free shipping now, or when they have other various deals with free shipping.
Old 03-20-07, 02:34 AM

i keep an account open all the time, and have had good fun cash deals in the past, this latest one would be fine if the s/h maxed out at even $25 (as opposed to the old style $15)... i just couldn't justify it... i'll continue to try to get a new account open
Old 03-20-07, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
FC isn't worthless for those of us who keep an account open all the time and never close it. I just let it add up after a few orders, and then bam, I get a new DVD for only the cost of shipping.

I haven't been able to get a new account open in months either, but that's fine by me. I just buy stuff when they have BOGO deals with free shipping now, or when they have other various deals with free shipping.
see thats cool but I am into basically tv season sets now and hdtv and blu-ray dvds. any news when the hd club starts?
Old 03-20-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Given the tiny volume of sales that BD and HD DVD represent, it seems unlikely that Columbia House will have an HD club anytime soon. I'd love to be wrong about that though.