Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Disney Movie Club part 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Disney Movie Club part 5

^Dang it Cheato! You *had* to mention the value in this! Even if it were not a fulfillment order I would still come out ahead of either DD during a sitewide sale *or* amazon based on current prices. As a fulfillment order it comes out *way* ahead.

As far as availability, I tend to think we'll get them. They just showed up on the site on 11/3 (I've been checking every day since they were announced) so you'd think they'd keep "several" back for club members. Since these weren't promoted on the club site I doubt they got many orders on the 3rd so we should be in good shape. Now, I'm checking my CC statement and club account info daily hoping to see the charge appear and the status change to shipped.
Old 11-05-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They may be *slightly* cheaper at Wherehouse.com using the 30% off a $30+ order code, THIRTYTHIRTY.
$39.95*2*.7 + $4.49 shipping + tax = $60.42 + tax. (about $65 total to California, for example)
However, I think you are less likely to actually get them from a seller other than Disney at this point.

But as you mentioned, as fulfillments, the deal is awesome.

7 titles for $25.90 at sign-up, plus $68.35 to fulfill with the 2 Zorro sets, means
25.90 (enrollments)
+68.35 (Zorro sets)
=94.25
-51.17 (value of 7 DVDs at $7.31 each)
=43.08
/2 (2 sets)
=$21.54 each.

Better deals could potentially be had if you somehow have a Blu-ray combo as your Featured Selection (probably for about $44.95). That would allow both Zorro sets to be discounted, and you could get free shipping.
Old 11-05-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yes, but with the dearth of free shipping offers (ignoring the selection-of-the-month "deals") you have really have to add shipping into the equation (both fulfillments on the same order to reduce shipping costs) which raises the per item cost by ~$.60 each but actually lowers the imputed cost of the sets to $19.955 each. But then we're picking nits... it's *still* a great deal no matter which math is used!
Old 11-06-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought I'd post this here, even though it is for the Movie Rewards site, and not the Movie Club. I only joined the DMR site to redeem my points from some movies to get other movies, so I see them as related. Anyhow...

I don't know how long they've been doing this, or who they may or may not offer it to, but I just got an email from them offering me a free Blu-ray (from a list of 5) for my birthday (just had to pay shipping of $2.95). The available titles were:
Meet the Robinsons
National Treasure
High School Musical 2
The Game Plan
Enchanted

If you have any interest in getting an offer like this, you might want to sign up at the DMR site. I mentioned a while back in this thread that I redeemed all of my points to get the Zorro Season 1 set, only to (1) find out afterwards it was colorized, and (2) see the announcement that both seasons were being released as Treasures. So, I didn't really use my points as well as I might have, had I waited another month or so.

I really didn't want any reminders of my birthday, but this was a nice one. I'm well past the age of looking forward to some kind of party, and well before the age of just being thankful I lived another year. I'm smack in the middle of "damn, I can't believe I'm another year older..."

I have seen Meet the Robinsons, and thought it was OK, but I don't need to ever see it again. I thought National Treasure was an abomination. HSM2 seems like a complete waste of money to me, even at $2.95. After reading reviews of Enchanted and The Game Plan, even though I like The Rock, I just couldn't go for The Game Plan, and DVDTalk's reviewers gave Enchanted a few Highly Recommendeds.
Old 11-06-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they have been doing the Birthday Blu-ray for a while now. Pretty cool indeed.
I agree with the selection Cheato... Enchanted is the one I'd get.
Kinda caters to pre-teen girls, but a decent movie none_the_less.
At the very least, it has the highest resale value from that list.
Old 11-06-09, 11:59 AM

I just wandered over here from the bargains forum, but didn't see what I expected, or what I remembered from the CH threads: an up-to-date list of codes, how-to, etc. Is that information summarized anywhere?
Old 11-06-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really, sorry, not for the DMC.

As far as enrolling goes, the last time I posted any info about the best enrollment code was in post 1134 in this thread, so not too far back. Just skim through the last couple months of posts to see what kind of useful info is in this thread. I know it sounds like a lot, but it shouldn't take too long.

As far as fulfilling goes, there have been no free shipping deals lately. However, you can generally get free shipping if there's a Double Feature deal you want through the monthly Featured Selection. For example, this month it's the Snow White Blu-ray/DVD partnered with either Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving DVD or The Muppets' Christmas Carol DVD (I think). You get both for $34.95, plus free shipping, it counts as a single fulfillment, and you can then order unlimited items at another discount (as long as they're below $34.95). Discounts and other deals are account-specific, so deals on my account may not be available on yours. There are no sale codes to enter--you just have a list of banners on your "Other Offers" page when you log into the account. My current offers are either 50%-off additional titles (25%-off Blu-rays), or 15%-off my entire order. Anything with a final price of $19.95 or over counts as a fulfillment title, even if it's discounted to get to that price (even though the club terms and the club CS people on the phone will tell you they don't count if they're discounted).

Shipping is $3.95 for a regular DVD, and $1.49 for each additional regular DVD. I don't know how much shipping on sets is, but it was $8.42 for me when I ordered the 2 Zorro Treasures sets recently.

Most regular DVDs in the club are now $21.95. They seem to stay at that price for a long time now. Some are $19.95, but I don't think many are. Therefore, based on BobO'Link's recent advice, I will re-estimate the value of a regular DVD through the club:

$25.90 to enroll and get 7 DVDs, plus $21.95*2+$5.44 to fulfill with 2 more means a typical expenditure of $75.24 to get 9 DVDs, meaning each one costs you about $8.36. This means the base price for all calculations of other deals is $8.36 for a typical DVD. Getting $19.95 titles would mean it would be a little lower, and if free shipping starts becoming available again, that would also make it lower.

Enrolling to get 6 DVDs and use the sometimes-available 3/$60 Blu-ray deal means:
$15.95 for 6 DVDs, plus $60+$6.93 shipping means an expenditure of $82.88 to get 6 DVDs worth $8.36 each, making the 3 Blu-rays $10.91 each.

Enrolling and using 2 Featured Selection Double Features to get free shipping each time and fulfill your account means:
$25.90 + $34.95 + $34.95 to get 9 DVDs and 2 Blu-rays means you spend $95.80 to get 9 DVDs at $8.36 each and 2 Blu-rays at $10.28 each. (Note that Featured Selections recently have included 1 Blu-ray/DVD and 1 DVD in the package. If they are both DVDs, that means your average DVD price goes up to $8.71, which still isn't bad.)

Enrolling and using 2 Featured Selection Blu-ray Double Features to get free shipping each time means:
$25.90 + $49.95 + $49.95 to get 7 DVDs and 4 Blu-rays means you spend $125.80 to get 7 DVDs at $8.36 each and 4 Blu-rays at $16.82 each. If the Blu-ray Double Features are only $44.95, that would mean the Blu-rays come out to $14.32 each. That's not as good, but some titles aren't available in the 3/$60 deal, and there's no guarantee that deal will keep returning. If you're that interested in DVDs, you might want to only get 6 enrollments and then fulfill with 3 Blu-ray DF sets, which would raise the average a little bit further. If you really don't want DVDs anymore, you might consider the Disney Blu-ray Movie Club, but that's not really a good deal at all at the moment.

Anyway, you can see how the math goes from there, and use your own fulfillment choices to calculate your end prices. Buying extra titles as long as you're getting free shipping and a decent discount can give you better averages. I just fulfilled with the 2 Zorro sets, so my end result looks like this:
$25.90 + $39.95 + $19.98 + $8.42 = $94.25 for the account, which got me 7 DVDs at $8.36 each, leaving $17.87 for each Zorro Treasure.

You can cycle accounts in the DMC just like at CH, but you can only have 1 account open at a time. It is easy to cycle accounts--they actually invite you to do it when you quit, saying you can rejoin at any time. However, enrollment selections are limited, so you may have trouble finding things you want to enroll. In addition, the Featured Selections have been pretty weak, in my opinion, particularly when it comes to what they're paired with to make Double Features. I had a hard time fulfilling this most recent account, and I don't think there's enough available as enrollments at the moment for me to rejoin, so I might not close this account, just in case some awesome deal rolls around.
Old 11-06-09, 01:39 PM

Thanks.

I came over from the Zorro Treasures thread; I'm interested in those. I didn't see them on the club enrollment site. Can I phone an enrollment order, and include those titles for fulfillment?

If you plan on fulfilling with a 3-purchase deal, like the 3 Blu-rays for $60, then don't get the 2nd optional one during enrollment, and use the code as a 6:3 code.
And, if I can get the Zorro Treasures, do I decline the 2nd optional during enrollment?
Old 11-06-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it will take a couple days for the account to go through. I don't know if you can enroll on the phone with the 978283 code (it's the only known 6:3/7:2 code, and we don't even know its true origin--one poster came here having run across it somewhere, and once I learned about it, I scoured the internet and eventually found it on some coupon site).

Your theory about fulfilling with the Zorro Treasures intrigues me. $39.95 titles do count as 2 fulfillments, so it would seem that both Treasures, using the 50%-off code on the second, would indeed count as 3 fulfillments, meaning you could decline the 7th title, and save yourself $9.95 for a regular DVD. I like the way you think!

However, be remember that the Zorro Treasures are pretty limited. Dr. Syn was only available through the club for a few days, and these are even more limited (and, I believe, in greater demand). It's very possible that by the time your account were approved, they would be unavailable. On yet another hand, Dr. Syn reappeared in the club for a couple days maybe about a month after it had been released and was already sold out in most places. That could happen again, but would probably require you to make the DMC's search page your homepage of your browser so you could check frequently and not miss their reavailability (I know that's not a real word).
Old 11-06-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cheato
...Shipping is $3.95 for a regular DVD, and $1.49 for each additional regular DVD. I don't know how much shipping on sets is, but it was $8.42 for me when I ordered the 2 Zorro Treasures sets recently.
According to the catalog, shipping on the Zorro Treasures sets is $5.44. So based on the $8.42 we paid it would be $2.98 for the 2nd one. All the other titles listed as "sets" also had a $5.44 shipping cost associated with them.

Most regular DVDs in the club are now $21.95. They seem to stay at that price for a long time now. Some are $19.95, but I don't think many are. Therefore, based on BobO'Link's recent advice, I will re-estimate the value of a regular DVD through the club:
True, but there are *still* a few $19.95 ones out there so I still compute prices based on that even though what I was looking at for fulfillments prior to the Zorro Treasures appearance *were* $21.95 titles.
Old 11-06-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...Your theory about fulfilling with the Zorro Treasures intrigues me. $39.95 titles do count as 2 fulfillments, so it would seem that both Treasures, using the 50%-off code on the second, would indeed count as 3 fulfillments, meaning you could decline the 7th title, and save yourself $9.95 for a regular DVD. I like the way you think!
Apparently, not any more... the latest catalog states:

"All DVDs priced from $19.95 up to $49.95, and all Blu-ray titles priced from $29.95 up to $49.95 count as one unit towards your purchase commitment. All DVDs or Blu-ray titles priced $49.95 or more count as 2 units toward your purchase commitment."

The Zorro listings support this as they do not indicate they count as 2.
Old 11-06-09, 07:55 PM

Thanks very much for all the tips, everyone. Just completed a very successful phone enrollment.

code 978283

2 X-Men animated vols. and 3 Miyazaki movies @ $.20 each
another Miyazaki @ $9.95
Zorro Treasures @ $14.95
Zorro Treasures 2 @ 34.95

Last edited by Randy Hassan; 11-07-09 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So... did your Zorro Treasures 2 @ $34.95 count as a fulfillment?

and

Did you take the season 2 set at that price because they would not allow it as an enrollment title @ $14.95?
Old 11-06-09, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
So... did your Zorro Treasures 2 @ $34.95 count as a fulfillment?
Yep. For some reason, so did the $14.95 Zorro. 3 fulfillment down, one to go.

Did you take the season 2 set at that price because they would not allow it as an enrollment title @ $14.95?
I paid a lot less than I expected...I didn't understand why one of the Zorros was $15 instead of $35. I started to ask them to charge me full price so it would count as a fulfillment, but then they said it was, so...[shrug]
Old 11-07-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Ahhh... well you *might* have come out better had you dropped the Miyazaki @ $14.95 and gone with the 2 Zorro Treasures.

Here's the way code 978283 works:

"By agreeing to purchase at least 4 regular-priced movies in the next 24 months, you qualify to receive 5 Disney DVDs of your choice from the list of titles currently available from the Disney Movie Club for $0.99 each. Shipping and processing is free. Save even more when you sign up with a credit card, and pay just $1.00 total. Please allow 2-4 weeks to receive your first shipment.

YOU MAY ALSO TAKE A 6TH DVD NOW AT THE SPECIAL PRICE OF JUST $14.95. PLUS YOU PAY NO ADDITIONAL SHIPPING AND PROCESSING CHARGE. This Bonus Movie will even count towards your purchase commitment, so you'll only need to purchase 3 more movies in the next 24 months instead of 4.

PLUS YOU CAN SAVE EVEN MORE by selecting a 7TH DVD NOW FOR the special price of JUST $9.95 AND STILL PAY NO ADDITIONAL SHIPPING AND PROCESSING CHARGE. This Bonus Movie will also count towards your purchase commitment, so you'll only need to purchase 2 more movies in the next 24 months instead of 4."

So instead of charging you $9.95 (the 7th DVD) for the Zorro Treasure it was $14.95 and counted as a fulfillment. Since they allowed you to take it as a fulfillment you *should* have been able to get both for $14.95 each by not getting the Miyazaki DVD.

Nonetheless it's a great enrollment package with a lower per unit average on the treasures than those of us with existing accounts!
Old 11-07-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, i'm trying a phone enrollment next time...

And what's with the strange $34.95 price?
I kind of think it was supposed to be $9.95 for the first Treasure and $39.95 for the second one? Why would the first one have been at $5 more than the "PLUS YOU CAN SAVE EVEN MORE by selecting a 7TH DVD NOW FOR the special price of JUST $9.95" offer, and why would the 2nd one be at a random $5 less?

I didn't know the X-Men titles were available as enrollments. As soon as 3 and 4 make it into the club, I will cycle my account.
Old 11-07-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Ain't that the truth! Possibly get sets as enrollment titles *and* with a 7/2 code? It's almost too good to be true, eh?
Old 11-07-09, 07:03 PM

Slight correction: I just got an e-mailed invoice...first fulfillment order cost $9.95, not $14.95.
Old 11-07-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You lucky bastard!
Old 11-08-09, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Hassan
Thanks very much for all the tips, everyone. Just completed a very successful phone enrollment.

code 978283

2 X-Men animated vols. and 3 Miyazaki movies @ $.20 each
another Miyazaki @ $9.95
Zorro Treasures @ $14.95
Zorro Treasures 2 @ 34.95
Originally Posted by Randy Hassan
Slight correction: I just got an e-mailed invoice...first fulfillment order cost $9.95, not $14.95.
That brings your total to $55 and some change for 2 X-Men animated, 4 Miyazaki and 2 Zorro Treasures. Now thats a freakin DEAL.
Old 11-08-09, 07:30 AM

Man, i'm trying a phone enrollment next time...

And what's with the strange $34.95 price?
I kind of think it was supposed to be $9.95 for the first Treasure and $39.95 for the second one? Why would the first one have been at $5 more than the "PLUS YOU CAN SAVE EVEN MORE by selecting a 7TH DVD NOW FOR the special price of JUST $9.95" offer, and why would the 2nd one be at a random $5 less?

I didn't know the X-Men titles were available as enrollments. As soon as 3 and 4 make it into the club, I will cycle my account.
Same here. I ordered Vol 1 & 2 along with a full price Miyazaki couple of weeks ago and thought getting them with %50 off + Shipping was a good deal.
Old 11-08-09, 07:51 AM

Again, I owe it all to y'all. And thanks on behalf of my ten-year-old, who will be delighted to have his own copies of the Miyazaki movies he gets out of the library all the time.

Man, I cannot wait to show him "Zorro"...
Old 11-10-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Zorro 1 & 2 shipped but neither one shows that it counts toward my commitment. That sucks if it's true. I want to at least have the first one count. Anyone got the phone number or email for customer service? I tried to find it on Disney's site but couldn't, so I'd appreciate the help. I'm really finding my enrollment in this club quite frustrating as they seem to have a system in place that makes it very difficult to fill the commitment.

Update: Found the number. They said it takes 72 hours for it to show up online and that one would count.

Last edited by Pizza; 11-10-09 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pizza, if your enrollments did actually count as fulfillments, then it will take a while before the website will update that fulfillment. For some reson, it just takes them longer than most people think to get that info updated.
Old 11-10-09, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
My Zorro 1 & 2 shipped ...
Do you mind sharing when you placed your order for Zorro 1 & 2? I placed my order 11/6 and they are still listed as Processing. I have a feeling DMC may cancel the treasures out of my order due to running out (no longer available on the site). This happened to me on my last two treasure orders.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.