Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

"Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory" not showing up?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether the "Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory" boxset will become available on Columbia House? It's a Warner Home Video title, as was the "Busby Berkeley Collection" boxset (which I purchase from CH a few weeks ago).

xpfshost
Old 05-03-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I was waiting on that one, too (along with the recent Universal Glamour Collections). I gave up and ordered it late last week from DDD for $34.

CH is really starting to concern me that they're not going to be carrying as many WB classics. They're also not carrying the upcoming Ford/Wayne boxsets as pre-orders, which leads me to wonder whether they will have them after release. Is this an effect of BMG's takeover? Perhaps they decided not to offer older catalog titles. Looking through CH's Upcoming Releases list, I scarcely see anything but recent titles anymore.

All in all, it doesn't bode well...
Old 05-03-06, 03:11 PM

I ordered it from DDD as well - just wasn't patient enough to wait for when or if it would ever show up. I was hoping to eventually fulfill with the second Astaire/Rogers boxed set that's supposed to be out in August, but I think I'm going to have to come up with a new plan if this is going to be a continuing trend...
Old 05-03-06, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Operator13
I ordered it from DDD as well - just wasn't patient enough to wait for when or if it would ever show up. I was hoping to eventually fulfill with the second Astaire/Rogers boxed set that's supposed to be out in August, but I think I'm going to have to come up with a new plan if this is going to be a continuing trend...
I'm getting worried myself. I like to fulfill with boxsets. I'm also looking at the 2nd Astaire/Rogers boxset. There's also a rumored Esther Williams boxset coming out this year. Paying full price for boxsets sucks (in addition to fulfilling without using a boxset)...

xpfshost

Last edited by xpfshost; 05-03-06 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
If CH is ceasing to carry WB classics, then they will have lost my business. They already don't carry Fox or Disney, and if they are phasing out Warner, then there's not going to be enough decent films to make a membership worth getting.

I was planning to pick the Warner Tough Guys and Film Noir 3 boxes from them this summer. Oh well, DDD, here I come!