Reload this Page >

Unknown Charge on CC from Columbia House

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 03-27-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was looking at my credit card's completed transactions and there was an $11.15 charge (not pending) from CH. I have only used this card on the one account and have not bought anything in that amount. Both the enrollment and fulfillment were charged in full - no strays. I called CH and they couldn't find the charge at all. She said I could just mail a copy of the charge in, but didn't know the correct address to send it to.

Has this happened to anyone and where would I fax/mail the proof of payment?

Thanks.

Last edited by leeta; 03-27-06 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would suggest waiting a few days to see if anything shows up in your account history or charge history. Then, if you are sure you don't know where the charge came from, call back and ask to speak with a supervisor, if the regular CSR can't help.

Or you could try explaining your question by e-mail: [email protected]

I trust that you have had no returns, pre-orders and other delayed charge transactions.

The mailing address and Fax number are listed in the FAQ thread at the top of the forum:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=107726#5a
Old 03-27-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
I would suggest waiting a few days to see if anything shows up in your account history or charge history. Then, if you are sure you don't know where the charge came from, call back and ask to speak with a supervisor, if the regular CSR can't help.

I trust that you have had no returns, pre-orders and other delayed charge transactions.

The mailing address and Fax number are listed in the FAQ thread at the top of the forum:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=107726#5a
Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated!

Guess I should read first!

This was the first time I had used this card with Columbia House. It only had the enrollment for $10.55 (completed) and the fulfillment charge (shows entire amount pending), no pre-orders. I just don't know where they came up with it...
Old 03-27-06, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an "unknown" charge recently show up on one of my two open accounts. It looks like I may have an issue brewing because it looks like my B2G2F fulfillment order on the account got hosed by CH. I had used the /webdvd link and placed the following order:

Saw Uncut Edition $21.95
Shrek Special Edition "free"
Spider-Man Special Edition/Spider-Man 2 Special Edition "$17.46"
Harry Potter GOF SE "free"

The Spider-Man set had the $5 WebDVD discount applied to its $22.46 price hence the $17.46 price. My two purchased selections showed up in the cart as counting towards fulfillment, etc. However, I noticed the other day that there was a $22.45 charge against my credit card and today I received an email that CH has shipped everything except Saw UE (which is marked as "pending credit approval" in my order history). My overall account status also indicates I have only purchased one fulfillment title - which I guess is accurate at this point.

I had used a Citi virtual CC account number for the order and since it was processed via the web site I assumed all was a go. Saw UE was marked as "awaiting stock" the last time I looked so it appears that CH has decided to ship the order without it and charged me solely for the Spider-Man SE set. The downside is they charged me the wrong price and have hosed up my virtual CC number so I will now not only need to call them and get my WebDVD discount applied but also to give them another virtual CC for the Saw UE purchase.
Old 03-28-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Virtual CC numbers do have their disadvantages, as you know.

Getting the $5 web discount applied should be fairly straightforward, CSRs do it fairly often. What probably happened is the order was reprocessed by hand and the web discount left off. And that was probably caused by the virtual credit card limit since a temp charge plus the real one would have exceeded your preset limit.
Old 03-30-06, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky enough the CSR I got on the phone was knowledgable and straightened out the account quickly. She took the $5 WebDVD discount off of Saw UE and I generated a new CC number for $16.95 that she put through while I was on the phone. I just checked tonight and the account is now properly reflecting that I have completed my fulfillment, etc.

I have also realized to reduce any chance of future issues due to virtual CC numbers I will shift from using one-time fixed limit use virtual numbers for CH to ones that allow for multiple transactions but still have an overall limit. For example for an enrollment package I'll generate a number that is good for multiple uses within 2 months with a max of $15 which will cover any $1 temporary charges, etc. until the actual $12.89 hits, etc. However, this will still keep CH from doing something totally stupid like duplicate charging, etc. (which they have been known to do).
Old 03-30-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called today and got a helpful CSR. The unknown charge wasn't showing up on her screen, but she contacted another department and they found it. She said they would investigate the issue and make an adjustment to my account... didn't really have an explanation... just said it looked like I was double-charged for the enrollment (even though one was $0.60 more ).