Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Dun..Dun..Dun Another app. bites the dust.

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 07-07-05, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd in a row. I'm getting frustrated.
Old 07-07-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
I lost 2 in a row also (both through the back door). This is after having 3 in a row go through. I just tried another through the new page. We'll see. I may have to go back to calling in. It was good while it lasted...sniff.
Old 07-07-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep an eye on your snail mail offers... The last few that I've received were good codes - 6 for $.49, 7th for $9.95 or $14.95, 2 more to buy, free shipping. My turnaround time has been averaging 7-10 days from mailbox to delivery. So, open those "we want you back" mailings before you toss em' and check the codes. I've never had an app lost via snail mail and the average wait time is only a few days longer than a web app.
Old 07-07-05, 03:36 PM

I agree. Watch those mailings - for every two or three that I get the 3 or 4 more to buy, I find one that has a 2 DVD requirement. The last four memberships have been the snail mail route and none of them have been "lost in the mail."
Old 07-07-05, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by maxryan
I agree. Watch those mailings - for every two or three that I get the 3 or 4 more to buy, I find one that has a 2 DVD requirement. The last four memberships have been the snail mail route and none of them have been "lost in the mail."
Have you tried writing in codes for movies you want that aren't in the set of little stamps?
Old 07-07-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by emerald9999
Have you tried writing in codes for movies you want that aren't in the set of little stamps?
I always write in the selection number pulled from the web, not once have I used those little stamps... 100% success rate.
Old 07-07-05, 03:46 PM

I've gotten 2 "We want you back" mailings. They've been

5 for $0.49 apiece with 4 to buy later.
Old 07-08-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ I assume that the you were doing web applications. Phone orders have a much greater success rate, 888-242-3837, as do mail-in orders, as suggested above. But with phone orders one can use the best codes; it is luck of the draw whether or not one gets a good mail-in offer.
Old 07-08-05, 10:31 PM

6 of mine were lost in a row on the web. I finally caved in and called them to place an order. I used 38YD, we'll see if THIS goes thru.
Old 07-09-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I lost 2 in a row also (both through the back door). This is after having 3 in a row go through. I just tried another through the new page. We'll see. I may have to go back to calling in. It was good while it lasted...sniff.
Through it went. Got the approval this morning.
Old 07-09-05, 09:20 AM

Would email have anything to do with it? I've been using GMAIL Email addresses. Also, I closed an account over the phone earlier this year. I do not have access to the account on the web. Could that be the problem? After that, the only thing I can think of is that I have an open account right now and a few "Waiting for Credit Approval" orders.
Old 07-09-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ibarney5
Would email have anything to do with it? I've been using GMAIL Email addresses. Also, I closed an account over the phone earlier this year. I do not have access to the account on the web. Could that be the problem? After that, the only thing I can think of is that I have an open account right now and a few "Waiting for Credit Approval" orders.
You're overanalyzing. Web applications disappear routinely for everyone once they have had a few accounts. What the criteria are for approval of web applications is uncertain. If you were turned down for concrete reasons, such as Columbia House believing that you already have two accounts open, you will eventually get a letter to that effect. But most applications disappear without a trace.

When this starts to happen to you, the best way to handle it is to
1) give it a rest for a few months or
2) phone in applications (888-242-3837) or
3) use a mail-in application (but usually not with the best codes).

Most of us choose method 2).

Don't get the idea that lost applications mean that you did something wrong. Columbia House works in mysterious ways. It isn't clear that even they know what they are doing.
Old 07-09-05, 03:00 PM

I finally got the rejection letter from my first (and only) phone app today. I used the account number on the letter to call and ask a CSR to open the account for me and they said OK. I think the problem was that particular credit card was expiring at the end of the month. I gave them the new expiration date and hopefully it will go through this time.
Old 07-10-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Excellent. That was good intiative on your part.

If others have a problem they should give Columbia House a call. It can't hurt and it will often help.
Old 07-10-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lizard
^ Excellent. That was good intiative on your part.

If others have a problem they should give Columbia House a call. It can't hurt and it will often help.
I tried that on mine and was told that it is impossible for them to open accounts that were declined for some reason and that all one could do is to mail the letter back to them and ask for a reason. Not surprising that CH gives everyone a different answer.
Old 07-11-05, 08:47 AM

When it comes to the snail mail apps, I always write in the selection numbers (from another open account) - though I do it VERY carefully as they have messed up my choices in the past. However, the orders have always gone through when I use the snail mail route. In fact, thinking back I can't remember ever having a "lost" snail mail app. I've had a few ones lost going the web route, though.
Old 07-11-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ITALIAN926
6 of mine were lost in a row on the web. I finally caved in and called them to place an order. I used 38YD, we'll see if THIS goes thru.
38YD? Is that the same as 38Y in the stickied better code thread?
Old 07-11-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sotra
38YD? Is that the same as 38Y in the stickied better code thread?
The fourth letter is always "D" for DVD club. Three characters works on-line but it is best to use all four on phone applications, since that's how the codes come in the mail.
Old 07-11-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by abintra
I tried that on mine and was told that it is impossible for them to open accounts that were declined for some reason and that all one could do is to mail the letter back to them and ask for a reason. Not surprising that CH gives everyone a different answer.
When this happens it is best to call back and see if you can get a more helpful CSR.

There may, indeed, be reasons accounts are declined that can't be fixed with a phone call. But it has been reported to work by several people here so it is worth giving it a shot if you get a refusal letter with an account number on it.

Or just try again with a phone application.