Multiple Accounts at CH?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Multiple Accounts at CH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Multiple Accounts at CH?

I just read the FAQ and section (g) states:
How many accounts can I have at once?
CH tracks simultaneous memberships by address. You are allowed to have TWO ACTIVE ACCOUNTS PER ADDRESS at any given time. You can use the exact same name, credit card, and address.

So questions:

1) Has anyone here had more then one account at the same time with the same name, address etc?
2) Ever get in trouble from doing so and, if so, what were the actions taken by CH?
3) Is CH Canada the same deal with being able to have TWO accounts.
4) I am thinking of using the "sign up a friend" feater to get two DVDs for myself at low coast and then use the other offer as my SECOND account. Anyone see any issue with that?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) you can have two accounts per address, per club..i.e. two regular club, two tv club
2) if you were to ever get in trouble, there's the possability you maybe blacklisted and never allowed to open accounts again
3) no idea about canada..
4) i think the signup with a friend you have to use their standard deal (which usually sucks?) ..not positive..and i'm sure people will reply here and correct me if i'm wrong on any of the above..

(i'm pretty new to CH so...I could be wrong..)
Old 02-15-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pilot
1) you can have two accounts per address, per club..i.e. two regular club, two tv club
2) if you were to ever get in trouble, there's the possability you maybe blacklisted and never allowed to open accounts again
3) no idea about canada..
4) i think the signup with a friend you have to use their standard deal (which usually sucks?) ..not positive..and i'm sure people will reply here and correct me if i'm wrong on any of the above..

(i'm pretty new to CH so...I could be wrong..)
No, you are right. It is the standard deal. However, in this case I could snag two EXTRA discs for myself for $3 each (which, in this case, is MUCH cheaper then my original plan to purchase them in store when they came out as CH price for them is rather high). I'd then snag 6 more discs at the regular offer, finish my FIRST account and carry out with the SECOND.

The only issue I see, here, is CH getting miffed about the friend off to the same guy.
Old 02-15-05, 09:15 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
No, you are right. It is the standard deal. However, in this case I could snag two EXTRA discs for myself for $3 each (which, in this case, is MUCH cheaper then my original plan to purchase them in store when they came out as CH price for them is rather high). I'd then snag 6 more discs at the regular offer, finish my FIRST account and carry out with the SECOND.

The only issue I see, here, is CH getting miffed about the friend off to the same guy.
I don't know, it seems like you'd not be getting yourself a good deal (even with the two cheap DVDs). When you consider you'd have to buy 4 regular priced movies, your price per movie is going to be high. Instead, I'd simply open a 2nd account using an LM code and get the 6 @ 0.49 + 1 @ 9.99 and then only need to buy two more.

EDIT - I guess I'm bored because I just figured out the math.

Your idea : 12 discs @ $8.20 average
Just using an LM code : 9 discs @ 5.90 average

Last edited by mbs; 02-15-05 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mbs
I don't know, it seems like you'd not be getting yourself a good deal (even with the two cheap DVDs). When you consider you'd have to buy 4 regular priced movies, your price per movie is going to be high. Instead, I'd simply open a 2nd account using an LM code and get the 6 @ 0.49 + 1 @ 9.99 and then only need to buy two more.

EDIT - I guess I'm bored because I just figured out the math.

Your idea : 12 discs @ $8.20 average
Just using an LM code : 9 discs @ 5.90 average
MMM, never thought of it from that perspective. However, what is the LM code and is it available in Canada?
Old 02-16-05, 03:39 AM

< 2) if you were to ever get in trouble, there's the possability you maybe
< blacklisted and never allowed to open accounts again

I've heard it's a 6 month suspension of opening new accounts if you are blacklisted
Old 02-16-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: more than two accounts,

If you try to open a third account in the same club you will likely get a polite letter thanking you for your enthusiasm and asking why you need more than two. It doesn't lead to the blacklist. For best results, stick to no more than two open at any time.

Edit to add: You are aware, are you not, that you can open and close as many accounts as you want? Just so long as no more than two are open at the same time.

Re: Canada,

No, the LM* codes are for the US club only. I suggest that you check out and post in the Best CH Canada Code? thread. There are several Canadians who monitor this forum and can tell you more.

Last edited by lizard; 02-16-05 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-17-05, 12:19 AM

I opened two at a time, forfilled them and opend another two, never had a single problem I used a 6 - 2 code.
Old 02-17-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the way the website allows you to "sign up" a friend is a little different then your original sign up. Unlike Columbia House US you cannot search the site for titles you want for enrollment. You are forced into picking their best sellers. However, the sign up the friend function allows you to chose discs from the entire site.

I also cannot find a code that works well at this point without me being a preferred member. Any suggestions?

EDITED TO ADD: So, has anybody used the "sign up a friend" feature on the site to sign up themselves and get the free DVDs?
Old 02-17-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
So, has anybody used the "sign up a friend" feature on the site to sign up themselves and get the free DVDs?

Well, since the deal for the "friend" is pretty lousy compared to the codes we all use around here, why would I stick it to a real friend?

Now, if any strangers want to pretend to be my friend .....
Old 02-17-05, 09:41 PM

I have 2 accounts now and will eventually fulfill the second one. I want to cancel account 2 and start a new one. Do I need to wait any amount of time before I rejoin?
Old 02-18-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I presently have four (4) open accounts with CH Canada.
Old 02-18-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by howwon
I presently have four (4) open accounts with CH Canada.
Details!

Are they under the same name? Address?
How do you order films NOT on the original sign in website (you know, the limited selections)?
Use any codes for the other addys? Which ones?