Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

cancelling membership is hard

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cancelling membership is hard

I recently tried to cancel my membership, and I had a hard time to do it online. They make you choose a reason for cancelling the membership, and apparently for many of the reasons they list there, they don't just cancel it immediately, but I get this message:

"We're sorry.
To complete this request please call 1-800-262-2001 and one of our representatives will be happy to help.
"
Old 02-07-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see. So you are cancelling a membership to what exactly?
Old 02-07-05, 06:27 PM
Banned

They ARE trying to make cancelling harder, and the CSRs try to sell you everything from the kitchen sink to the moon when you try to cancel over the phone.

See THIS THREAD for how to cancel online:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400311
Old 02-07-05, 06:47 PM

I just write on the order card "please cancel my membership". I've had no problems.
Old 02-07-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I was going to start a thread on this. I noticed that canceling was a pain in the arse, no matter which option I selected they wanted me to either call their 1-800 number or simply couldn't cancel my order online.
Old 02-07-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought I saw a thread somewhere that mentioned selecting "other" as the reason for cancelling worked and they cancelled online?

I still just call and cancel. What's so hard about saying no 2-3 times? Geez.
Old 02-07-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by movaddict
I recently tried to cancel my membership, and I had a hard time to do it online. They make you choose a reason for cancelling the membership, and apparently for many of the reasons they list there, they don't just cancel it immediately, but I get this message:

"We're sorry.
To complete this request please call 1-800-262-2001 and one of our representatives will be happy to help.
"
It's easier to call to cancel that way you know it'll go through. You don't have to wait very long to get a CSR now. The last few times I called, I was on hold for no more than 30 seconds. They did try to give me $40 in free gas to sign up for some service, but I cut them off quick before the spiel.
Old 02-08-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you want to cancel online, then just email this address with your name and account number: [email protected] or on the "contact us" section under "club help", select "service questions" rather than "cancel membership" and email your cancellation that way. I always call since it is the quickest method.
Old 02-08-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had a problem cancelling on line - maybe that's what happens when you do something so often it becomes second nature.
Old 02-08-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though it means talking to a CSR, I prefer cancelling at least one account over the phone. My reason: it allows me to still access an account to look up itemID numbers (for joining the TV Club) and to participate in promotions such as the Joy of Giving.
Old 02-08-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
It's easier to call to cancel that way you know it'll go through.
Not necessarily true. I always cancel over the phone, but on occasion I have had accounts that were several months old randomly reopen and a directors selection be sent to me. Its really a pain.
Old 02-08-05, 01:04 PM

I'm seeing the same as others. For the first time in over 20 accounts, I've had to call to cancel. I think they are slow right now, so rather than have CSR's sitting around waiting for the phone to ring, they force a call in order to put them to work giving the sales pitches. I don't think my CSR enjoyed it any more than I did....
Old 02-09-05, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by xpfshost
I've cancelled a dozen accounts over the phone, but today was the first one where the rep was really rude. She did the usual offers, and after I declined the last one, she said "BYE!" really loud and hung up on me! I was extremely polite throught the whole conversation saying "No, thank you" and "Yes, please", etc. I called right back and talked to a different rep and he told me that she hadn't closed the account like I had requested. Nice.
Holy crap!