Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Best versions of dvds? Superbit? Ultimate?

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 01-22-05, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems every day I run into another new term to cloud my mind. But hey, I'm new at dvd collecting. I could use the help and advice of dvd experts on this:

When I order from Columbia House, which movies do they carry LOWER QUALITY than the best version available? For instance, is CH's Hollow Man, listed as "special edition", but I've read elsewhere (probably here somewhere) that the superbit version is the best. Another is T2 Terminator....CH sells the "ultimate edition", but I read somewhere that the "original" has a higher dts bitrate? Is that true? I dont' want to trade extras for degraded picture and audio!!! &%$# the extras! Finally, there is Underworld....CH has "special edition" and "unrated extended edition" but neither of them on the website pics look like a superbit box.

If any of what I said is true, do we have a nice "don't buy these from CH" list? I know that there are certain things I can't get there at all, like Star Wars, Lion King, Toy Story, Indiana Jones to name a few, but I could use help with avoiding a lesser product by buying something from them when there is something better OUT THERE! : ) Thanks for your time and to the moderators for maintaining this awesome site!

Last edited by ettevroc28; 01-22-05 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-05, 06:50 PM

Well actually CH carries the Extreme version of T2, the Ultimate version is something different. There really is no "better" one, the Ultimate has a DTS track, which the Extreme DVD lacks, but the Extreme version has better video quality. It gets confusing; blame the manufacturers for making so many different versions of the same thing.

It'd be pretty hard to compile such a list, I think you're better off just doing your own research for each title you buy if you're worried about getting an inferior copy - just do a quick search on Amazon to see if there's more than one DVD for a film, and if there is, maybe check out some reviews to see what the difference is. Generally CH will carry all versions of a movie (for example, Gladiator has a 1-disc version which CH sells for $19.95 and a 2-disc version which is $21.95), but a lot of times if another version of a DVD comes out, the old one goes out of print, in which case CH will eventually stop carrying it (that's why the don't have the Ultimate Edition of T2 anymore; it went out of print a long time ago). Also, they don't carry Superbit titles (except for a select few, Lawrence of Arabia for example).
Old 01-23-05, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An excellent site to compare different versions:

DVD compare
Old 01-23-05, 11:00 AM

www.dvdbeaver.com is another good site.
Old 01-23-05, 12:00 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find that www.dvdmg.com is also a good site to compare different versions of DVDs. They'll often review several versions of a single movie and refer to the previous versions and where they differ in quality.
Old 01-23-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My advice is to do your homework before you make a purchase. The above posted web pages are great for comparisons and you can also read reviews from web pages like dvdtalk, dvdfile, dvdauthority, etc. Also, remember that CH does not offer some DVDs such as Disney, Buena Vista, Miramax, and new 20th Century Fox releases. CH does carry a few Superbits, but not nearly all of them.

In regards to your question about Underworld, I recommend the Unrated Extended Cut over the Superbit or SE. The Unrated Cut has terrific audio, video, and extras.
Old 01-23-05, 12:25 PM

How to tell which version CH has

Ok, thanks! These are very informative sites. But still I wonder if the Columbia House CSRs are able to tell me which version they have? I had a CSR the other day who was NOT very helpful in determining which version was the one they had, and in many cases, they have only one.

I've also read that "DTS" by itself doesn't tell you a lot, that there are 1509 bitrate (the best) and 750something bitrate(754.5 or half?) And that it depends on how much room they have when they make the transfer. Often, one article said, the versions with extras are lower quality transfers.

As if I wasn't having hard enough of a time compiling a wish list with the "special", "collector's" , "ultimate" and "deluxe" editions, I read one article about dts bitrates and the writer would say "...this one was transferred in 1509 bits on the THEATRICAL VERSION. G@d D&mmit !!! WTF is a theatrical version???? I've not seen one website selling dvds list something as a theatrical version. I can't wait to hear the CH CSR's reply to "Is this the theatrical version?" ~>:-|
Old 01-23-05, 12:32 PM

Frying Pan..

See, now I have read that Superbit was THE version of Underworld to get (if you value quality over extras, which I do). I want the best resolution and transfer version on the market. That's all. I don't give a rat's butt about behind the scenes, video games, deleted scenes.
Old 01-23-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ettevroc28
See, now I have read that Superbit was THE version of Underworld to get (if you value quality over extras, which I do). I want the best resolution and transfer version on the market. That's all. I don't give a rat's butt about behind the scenes, video games, deleted scenes.
Most people find that the superbit version does not give noticeably better quality (assuming the original release was well done), unless you have a very high-end system. If you have a $5000+ TV you might see some difference in color saturation and artifacting, but even then it is usually pretty subtle.

There are a lot of home theater addicts at sound & vision forums who have debated the merits of superbit releases, and many of them (even ones with very good systems) are of the opinion that it is mainly marketing.

Also, theatrical version is a DVD with the original version of a film, vs some later releases with extended versions or director's cuts.

A good website to review the audio/vidoe quality of a DVD is Widescreen review .

You can't see details of a review unless you subscribe, but you can see the ratings of the audio and video quality, on a scale of 1-5+. In some cases, I see better numbers for the regular release than for the superbit - I would ascribe this to different reviewers, as I don't see how a superbit could be of lower quality, given the same master.

Last edited by NCYankee; 01-23-05 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-23-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok, thanks! These are very informative sites. But still I wonder if the Columbia House CSRs are able to tell me which version they have? I had a CSR the other day who was NOT very helpful in determining which version was the one they had, and in many cases, they have only one.
Don't expect too much from the CSRs. You'd be better off determining which version they carry on your own. The CH members site now lists much more extensive product information then they used. Compare the info on the CH site with a site like dvdempire.com and you should be able to easily determine which version it is.

I've also read that "DTS" by itself doesn't tell you a lot, that there are 1509 bitrate (the best) and 750something bitrate(754.5 or half?) And that it depends on how much room they have when they make the transfer. Often, one article said, the versions with extras are lower quality transfers.
Full bitrate DTS is pretty much a thing of the past especially in the US. Early releases from Universal and Warner Bros. included a full bitrate DTS, but I can't think of any US releases over the past 3-4 years that have full bitrate DTS. Everything is half bitrate DTS now.
Old 01-24-05, 05:52 PM

SuperBits

CH only carries three SuperBit editions right now I believe.

Tommy Superbit 3429701
Lawrence of Arabia 3009602
Charlie's Angels 2865806

As D-Ball has mentioned, you're better off trying to figure out what version CH carries than most CSRs.
Old 01-24-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SC_Trojan

Tommy Superbit 3429701
Charlie's Angels 2865806

As D-Ball has mentioned, you're better off trying to figure out what version CH carries than most CSRs.
Also Punch Drunk Love (Not advertised as a superbit but it is) and the original release of Panic Room.
Old 01-24-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SC_Trojan

Tommy Superbit 3429701
Charlie's Angels 2865806

The new Fifth Element Ultimate Edition and Léon: The Professional Deluxe Edition are both available Superbits.
Old 01-24-05, 09:26 PM

Fifth Element

I just tried that one. No good as an enrollment. Will have to get it as a fulfillment.
Old 01-24-05, 09:41 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Adaptation is also a Superbit and is available for enrollment.
Old 01-25-05, 10:14 AM

Superbit is somewhat better. Maybe not always worth the hype. I bought the Lawrence of Arabia Superbit, and it is sharper. On the other hand, it just makes problems in the source more evident. Overall I prefer it, and I sold my previous edition.

What puzzles me is the movies they have chosen to release in Superbit and those they have not. I wonder what the decision process is? I can understand Lawrence of Arabia as an obvious choice, even though I think they did not do the best job in mastering that disc. Men in Black, that's an obvious choice too, along with Starship Troopers. But Johnny Mnemonic? Seven Years in Tibet? Snatch? Anaconda? I'm sure those movies have their fans, but it seems like a lot of blockbusters and classic pictures are being ignored.

anyway, since CH offers so few Superbit titles, it is a bit of a moot point on this board.

*sigh*
Old 01-25-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just tried that one. No good as an enrollment. Will have to get it as a fulfillment.
Patience. It is likely that The Fifth Element: Ultimate and Leon — the Professional: Deluxe will be available for enrollment in a few months.