Box sets at CH vs. DDD

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Box sets at CH vs. DDD

Old 11-15-04, 09:50 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Box sets at CH vs. DDD

Quick question...

Has anyone stumbled across any boxed sets at CH that, even after sales tax (mine is 7.75%), are cheaper than DDD after 20% off?

I had opened up a 72SD account and left 3 fulfillements. I planned on buying my ROTK EE, a season or two of Smallville, maybe the Shrek combo pack (before finding out it was FF).

Now, with the CH sale apparently ending today, and DDD running 20% off, I ain't finding much that would be a better deal, straight up, at CH. Yes, of course I realize that I would be fulfilling at CH, which in itself is worth some $$$, but I want to know if anyone found any especially good deals!

Smallville season 1 looks to be about the same price ($32.xx + tax) as DDD ($43.xx - 20%). Season 2 looks almost as good, at $35.xx. Law and Order season 1 looks good at CH. Of course, any box set pre-order would be a better deal, since the DDD sale is not good for those. Any others you could share?

Also - like many other parents, I am going to have to buy a couple of copies of Shrek, and the new Harry Potter....... wouldn't CH, at $13.xx each, be my best deal, espcially with free shipping? Is this where all of you are picking up these titles?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 11-15-04, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to consider is that ROTK:EE is still a preorder, so it doesn't qualify for the 20% discount at DDD.
Old 11-15-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DDD sale prices ought to be lower than CH prices for box sets even if CH has them for 40% off. However, if you consider the fulfillment value of the set, the CH "relative cost" is almost always lower overall. But to get this low relative cost you need to buy the mnimum required purchase to fulfill the account, close it, and open a new account to get the next item on your list. That takes time and hassle.

If you are going to buy multiple copies of DVDs and you need them before the holidays, comparing the CH prices with the DDD sale prices would be a good way to go. I just ordered a bunch of Stargate SG-1 sets from DDD for a friend. The sale price of $36.60 is decent and it would take me a long time and many accounts to get them as fulfllments from CH. It just isn't practical for me to do that. And she will be very pleased with the DDD sale price.

On the other hand, I am paying the equivalent of less than $7 for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban because I ordered it as a fulfillment for my CH account. To get many copies of it at that price I would need to open and close several accounts. So, if the sale price at CH (after release date) is good enough for you then go for it (keep in mind that you usually have to buy one at full price to get the sale price and that raises the effective price you are paying). The DDD sale won't work for Harry Potter, The Return of the King and other titles that aren't being released until after the sale ends.
Old 11-15-04, 02:24 PM
Cool New Member

Is it strange that the new Harry Potter, at least on my account, is listed as on sale? Aren't the pre-orders usually $19.99?

Anyways, if I order Smallville 1 & 2 as fulfillments through CH, and HP2 twice at CH price of $13.77, which is lower than any price search I'v found, I would be paying about $103. If I were to order Smallville seasons 1 & 2 at DDD at 20% off, and then ordered HP2 twice from CH at $19.99 (Would I have to call to do that?) I would be spending a total of $112.

Unless I can call a CSR and ask for the regular price on Harry Potter 2, I don't know how I can use it as a fulfillment. And if I decide that box sets are the best value for fulfillments, I think that CH becomes the best deal for HP2. Shrek 2, at $13.17, is actually a little cheaper at DDD, if you have to pay tax at CH......

As for ROTK:EE, I was actually considering the Amazon price, which with STL would make it a hard deal to pass up.

But will anyone else be choosing a CH box set over a DDD box set today?
Old 11-15-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Danny McKevitt
Is it strange that the new Harry Potter, at least on my account, is listed as on sale? Aren't the pre-orders usually $19.99?
Yes it is; I have never seen that before. It is the usual pre-order $19.95 on my accounts. Are you sure you are looking at "Azkaban"?

The other titles you mentioned are a better deal at CH if you use them as fulfillments on your current or a future account. Otherwise you probably can get them cheaper at DDD. It's up to you and depends on how quickly you want them.
Old 11-15-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Most likely Danny is looking at one of the other Potters and that is the 40% off sale price with another full price selection (the normal deal). I've fallen into that trap a couple of times for a moment.
Old 11-15-04, 06:47 PM
Cool New Member

Nope.....

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Pre-Order)(Full) 2004 (2 discs)

List $29.95 Reg $22.95
Sale $13.77
Release Date : 11/23/2004 Reserve your copy now and we'll ship it to you as soon as it is available.
add to cart
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson
Rating: PG

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (Pre-Order) 2004 Widescreen (2 discs)

List $29.95 Reg $22.95
Sale $13.77

Release Date : 11/23/2004 Reserve your copy now and we'll ship it to you as soon as it is available.
add to cart
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson
Rating: PG

I've had it in my cart, and it doesn't require any regular price purchases. This is in an account that has not been fulfilled.
Old 11-15-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Nothing like I see, that's for sure, on a fulfilled or unfulfilled account.

If you're interested in it, I recommend you buy it. That's more than $6 cheaper than anyone else can get it for. And it would be tough to beat that price anywhere, especially if you order it with two other titles and get free shipping. It might not count as fulfillment though. Oh well...
Old 11-18-04, 12:31 AM

i think CH is taking account that you are taking the 40% off deal. when i placed Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban in the cart. it reads $13.77 which is 40% off the price.... then i selected fulfill 1 it then reads $19.95. what a pre-order would cost.
Old 11-18-04, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

I wound up doing the same thing - purchased 3 fulfillment titles with (2) Harry Potters and (1) Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I think my best bet would have been to pick up the Aqua Teen collections, as well as Space Ghost and Sealab, when they were on the box set sale at $17.99. I think I would have been able to choose them to fulfill, which would have bumped the price up to $19.99.
Old 11-10-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CH.com shows that Smallville Season 4 is $35.99. I WAS going to buy it at DDD for $29.98 minus 20% when they had the sale, but suddenly now that the price has ballooned up to $43.19, a big savings of $1.44 after the discount. No thanks, I will just use my $56 in funcash and free shipping at CH.com instead to get it now.
Old 11-10-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I trust that you are aware that you can no longer use funcash to pay for all of a set:

$39.99 or less, $10 FunCash
$40 - $59.99, $20 FunCash
$60 - $89.99, $30 FunCash
$90 - $149.99, $40 FunCash
$150 - $199.99, $50 FunCash
$200+, $60 FunCash

The cheapest way to purchase Smallville: Season 4 would be to buy it at the "Special Price" of $44.96 and use it as a two fulfillment purchase in the regular DVD club. This works out to a relative cost of $20 or so for the set. More hassle than buying it from CH.com using funcash though.
Old 11-11-05, 03:31 PM

the thin man complete collection is cheaper on CH. even with the sale. and they are awesome movies!