My 3@$25.00 nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 3@$25.00 nightmare

First, I want to thank everybody here for all the
*great* info in this forum. It has saved me lots
of $$ @ CH. anyway, on to my story.

Applied online for new account on 10/11/04.

Approved on 10/13/04

Intro. package shipped on 10/14/04

Placed an online order during the [email protected] sale
with free shipping on 10/15/04 for 6 DVD'S=
total of $50.00 + 3.00 tax to fulfill my commitment.

Received introductory DVD'S on 10/17/04.

I was missing 1 selection in the intro. package.

Checked website under "My Accounts" for my double 3@25
online order placed on 10/15/04, it wasn't there..
deleted?..web glitch? I don't know, but it was gone.

Called Columbia House on Tuesday afternoon 10/19 in
reference to the missing "Rear Window" in the introductory
package, and was told that was going to be re-shipped.

I also asked about the online order of 6 DVD'S placed on
10/15/04 that was not showing up under my account.
The "account rep" told me that she still saw the 6 DVD order
on her end, and not to worry. I had a feeling this was not
going to be that easy, but I said thanks for your help and
hung up. Maybe I could have just waited, and this would
have corrected itself in time ...the website does some really
strange things from time to time, but it's too late now.

A few hours later, I checked online under "my accounts"
and the order was back again as a "MAIL" order with
a different order number, and all DVD's were the FULL
PRICE of 14.99 with shipping charges of 12.94 for a
TOTAL of 108.82. I immediately called the customer
service line and spoke to another nice "account rep"
who assured me that the price would be "adjusted"
so I would not be charged more than the 53.00. I
was told to check my account in 12 to 24 hours and
I would see the "adjusted" price...guess what, still
shows the 108.82 over 24 hours later.

If these are shipped @ the full price, looks like I'll
have to refuse the package. Sorry for the long post,
just wanted to share my story FWIW.

Dave
Old 10-20-04, 06:18 PM

I am rather new to CH -- only 3 accounts. In all cases, there have been wide discrepancies between amounts displayed on my account history and what I was eventually charged. I only use that page to ensure I'm getting the right titles, and use my credit card account snapshot's temporary authorization to find out what I will be charged.
Old 10-20-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Just be patient. It'll get sorted out as long as you don't let CH forget your problem. Don't refuse any packages, either. That will make the problem worse.

2. I'd write an email to CH saying that you forgot to apply the $5 Web Order coupon [it sounds like you did]. They'll credit you $5.
Old 10-20-04, 07:12 PM

If you get charged the wrong price, just ask for a pricing adjustment. It's also a good idea to print proof that the 3 for 25 promo is valid and to show that your titles qualify. You can always dispute with your CC company if you have to, but I've never had a problem getting the refunds from CH by asking for them.
Old 10-20-04, 08:04 PM

Thanks for your help, guys. I will get this taken care of...my 3rd account too, and I have never had a problem like this before.

I do have all the web pages printed, and all e-mails saved...the account still shows the full price of $14.99x6+shipping=108.82. I'll give it another 8 or 10 hours and give them another call if it isn't corrected by then.

The orders are now "pending". Earlier today 2 were pending & 4 were "awaiting approval" I hope this is fixed soon, and hope it never happens again!

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 10-20-04, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

Don't worry about it. I have had every possible problem imaginable with Columbia House. They will never screw you. The only problem is that most of their sales reps aren't very bright. They have misunderstood me almost as many times as they have screwed up my orders. Sometimes all you have to say to them is "you need to credit my card $50" and they will do it. So relax. You should call them once you get the package and they will definitely accommodate. I suggest calling because they might not understand you by email.

For example, I ordered the first 3 seasons of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" from CH (all on separate orders). Instead of the Season One set, I got some crappy one-disc movie I had never heard of ("I'm With Lucy"). I called them and they re-shipped, no problem (I even kept the other DVD and sold it on eBay). As if that weren't enough, the same thing happened with Season Two (except this time I got some odd DVD called "Varekai"--and I also sold that on eBay for $17). Season Three arrived properly, to my surprise. But there have been many other mishaps. They always correct it. It's actually pretty shocking how easily they will take your word for something. Fortunately I am honest (most of the time). :-)
Old 10-20-04, 09:36 PM

I am starting to believe that all these "screw ups" are not as accidental as we may want to believe. How many times is the screw up in our favor? I know a lot people got in on that weird fun cash deal, that was one time where CH own website gave out more favorable prices! I had "screw up" on my last two accounts. The website says one thing and they change it after everything goes through. If they keep losing more studios then I think I will start waiting for some 2 for 15 and 3 for 20 deals at some B&M stores. I am keeping my fingers crossed that DDD comes through with a 20% sale. I got 15 to 20 dvds currently priced between 8 and 10 bucks that I really would like to own!
Old 10-20-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by evitagen
1. Just be patient. It'll get sorted out as long as you don't let CH forget your problem. Don't refuse any packages, either. That will make the problem worse.

2. I'd write an email to CH saying that you forgot to apply the $5 Web Order coupon [it sounds like you did]. They'll credit you $5.
What evitagen said.
Old 10-20-04, 10:20 PM

I know what you mean. It's gonna be interesting to see when I get this fixed, and I will get it fixed, if they will count these toward the fulfilment of my account. Sounds like another problem that has cropped up in the other 3@25 thread earlier.

we'll see....
Old 10-20-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by aspikes
I am starting to believe that all these "screw ups" are not as accidental as we may want to believe. How many times is the screw up in our favor?
I remember when "The Right Stuff" SE and "Robin Hood" (Costner) came out, I got the single disc older releases for both instead. They actually told me to keep them...their mistake...and sent me new ones. Both were wrong again. I called about "The Wrong Stuff" they kept sending me, and they called back a day or two later and said they figured out the problem and sent me the correct DVDs. You could have thought they were trying to gyp me, sending me the discontinued bare bones releases in lieu of the new SEs, but then again I did get to sell 4 DVDs that they did not require me to ship back. That paid for half of my total account cost.
Old 10-21-04, 12:44 AM

Well the mystery continues, and my TOTAL is now @$128.51...seems they have duplicated 4 titles on the original 6 that I ordered on 10/15/04
at the correct price on 3 of them $8.33 for 2 , 1 @ $8.34 and 1@ $8.95.
Don't understand the $8.95 one?? for a total of $35.99. oh well, i'll probably wake up in the morning and it will all be fixed. going to call them first thing in the AM. Anybody need a copy of Robocop, Jaws or The Fugitive?
Old 10-21-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also had to deal with the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves mess. I received the wrong one twice, but did not get to keep them.

My last account I fulfilled with Shawshank Redemption SE and two others to get free shipping. When I completed checkout, the screen showed free shipping, but when I clicked submit the free shipping was gone. I immediatley called and they fixed it, but then I realized they switched the Shawshank SE with the old one. I called back and they finally fixed it. However, I have yet to receive the Shawshank SE even though it shipped about two weeks ago. I will probably have to call them back after thirty days to have them ship another one.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 10-21-04 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 10:23 AM

David,

Look for my thread "CH ever cancel your order?"

They pulled the exact same shit on me.

Luckily on my 2nd call I got an intelligent CSR and she gave me my due credits back, and they showed up on my 2nd invoice. I just have to call back now and get my 3rd credit for shipping.
Old 10-21-04, 10:27 AM

Try to keep that sense of humor Dave; it's a necessity when dealing with CH. Like others, I have never failed to resolve a problem with CH over the phone. Sometimes I have had to spell it out to the CSR in simple terms like "you need to reduce my commitments by "x" and/or credit my credit card $x.xx." At times I have called back later in the day and asked the CSR to verify that my account was showing the adjustments requested earlier. I don't like the "wait and see" approach.
Old 10-21-04, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by nyrotic
Don't worry about it. I have had every possible problem imaginable with Columbia House. They will never screw you. The only problem is that most of their sales reps aren't very bright. They have misunderstood me almost as many times as they have screwed up my orders. Sometimes all you have to say to them is "you need to credit my card $50" and they will do it. So relax.
I complete agree with Nyrotic (great name btw LOL): CH has never screwed me, and always bent over backwards to make me a happy customer. I also agree with the other posters who have mentioned that it's wise not to read a whole lot into your online Statements (not to mention the packing Statements). These "records" are almost never right; the key is to call (during the week, business hours, very important!) and explain your issue. Have your printed-out proof (including and most especially any high-value deals that were emailed to you, since these are the best ones out there, and issued selectively) just in case, and give them a few days to get their act together.

PEACH
Old 10-21-04, 11:34 AM

CH says the order has shipped, and they are sending a return label for the 4 "extra" titles. You could tell it was an "overseas" call ctr. I will stay on them until it is fixed...keep ya posted!

Thanks,
David
Old 10-21-04, 12:14 PM

Yea don't worry David. It'll take time but the CSRs will help you out. Just got off the phone with one that fixed my balance. I then told her my commitment should be 0 instead of 1 since my order was screwed, and she fixed that as well.
Old 10-21-04, 10:56 PM

I have a similar problem, I placed a 6 for 50 fulfillment order yesterday and it's gone from my account. I'm not going to call yet, let's see if it will show up by itself and what prices I will get. So far no charges on CC either.
Old 10-22-04, 01:14 PM

I kinda wish I would have waited. I think that calling can and usually does make the problem worse. I still have the $128.51 charge on my account.
I use the "bill me" option, so I will not be charged...maybe I should pay the $53.00 and let them worry about the rest...I have called 6 times now and everytime I call it just gets more screwed up.
Old 10-23-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by David5150
I kinda wish I would have waited. I think that calling can and usually does make the problem worse. I still have the $128.51 charge on my account.
I use the "bill me" option, so I will not be charged...maybe I should pay the $53.00 and let them worry about the rest...I have called 6 times now and everytime I call it just gets more screwed up.
Correct. It is best to let the "dust settle" for a few days on a screwed up order. This prevents duplicate orders and the like because the CSRs can see exactly what happened and how much was charged.