Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Watch out for scam check in the mail.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watch out for scam check in the mail.

I just got a purported "rebate" check from Columbia House for $2.50 in my mailbox. The fine print, however, states that once you cash it, it enrolls you in all kinds of crap like HealthSaver (for $19/mo) and might get you a new CC.

The envelope is light blue and is covered in asteriks. I suggest you destroy it immediately if you receive one.
Old 08-23-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the same thing today. I looked at it for a whole 2 seconds before I ripped it up and tossed it in the trash.
Old 08-23-04, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine today. $10.00 refund check which, when cashed, enrolls you into some type of program. Check went straight into the trash.
Old 08-24-04, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, I got one for $10 today also. Some credit card protection bs that you can cancel within 30 days, but no number to cancel came with it I don't think.
Old 08-24-04, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you guys with the $10 checks sure you didn't use one of those pop-ups you get after you place an online order, then forgot about it? (Easy to do).

I used one during the 4 for $30 sale this spring to get another 4 discs for $20 - they sent me the check, I deposited it, waited about 25 days (to not seem ungrateful ), and cancelled - no problem at all.
Old 08-24-04, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NCYankee
Are you guys with the $10 checks sure you didn't use one of those pop-ups you get after you place an online order, then forgot about it? (Easy to do).

I've become very skillfull at avoiding that sort of sneaky click-through, but received a $10 We-Gotcha! check anyway.
Old 08-29-04, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

I got one of the $2.50 checks, and I haven't had a Columbia House account in 8 months. Typical add-on garbage from CC companies... as if their interest rates and merchant fees don't already make them enough $$.
Old 08-29-04, 03:24 PM

Yep - I got the $2.50 version. Good heads-up for everyone.
Old 08-29-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by NCYankee
I don't click on pop-ups. You get those if you are currently a member of CH or even previously a member. Either way, you're on their mailing list to receive crap.
Old 08-30-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The terms of my $2.50 check say that it signs me up for a health-related credit card service for $18.99 per year (although I had to look pretty close to find that charge). Supposedly, one can submit credit card statements at the end of each year and get 2% back on purchases. Way more trouble than it is worth, to put it mildly.

As The Infidel (who used to work at CH) said, this is just a routine mailing, not something initiated by anything that we did. These checks belong in a shredder.

Last edited by lizard; 08-30-04 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-30-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received the $10 one, cancelled membership a couple of months ago, never do the popup things.

This is simply spam from CH.
Old 08-30-04, 12:00 PM

I got one too. I get a ton of crap from CH and haven't had a membership in a long time. I've actually tried to sign up a number of times over the past year and so far I've received zero new accounts, zero denials, zero DVDs, tons of junk mail, quite a lot of spam. Anyone know how to get personal information deleted from these guys?