Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

The new updated list of CH DVDs (data miner)

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

The new updated list of CH DVDs (data miner)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you jhester and JoN8282! Works fine!
Old 06-18-05, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news!

A huge thank goes out to everyone who contributed.
Old 06-19-05, 07:03 PM

Great list!!!!!! Thanks guys!

Just a thought...I guess the only thing that would be really cool would be to highlight or bold the titles that are available for enrollment.

Once again appreciate it!
Old 06-19-05, 07:11 PM

By the way, I do realize there is a thread dedicated to "new to enrollment," but it might make sense to combine the updated list of CH DVD (data miner) with the "new to enrollment" also. To put these together is truly beneficial to us newbies and l appreciate all the hard work everyone has done to keep these updates going!
Old 06-19-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
If can be so bold as to make a request, along with designating enrollment titles, bga was able to put out a list of differences form list to list. This allowed easy determination of which titles were newly available for enrollment, which titles were added to the catalogue, which titles had price drops, etc. This was just as valuable to me as the complete list itself.
Old 06-20-05, 12:44 AM

Hey...thanks to all responsible for bringing the Dataminer back to life! I don't have any special requests...I'm just happy to see what's available again!
Old 06-20-05, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wahoo, thanks guys, this is sweet!

I started working on a database w/ web page for this a while back, but since bga's updates stopped, I quit working on it. I'll pick this project up again, and get jhester's data into a new database this week. More details to follow. A good start to a new week
Old 06-20-05, 12:50 PM

By the way...with as much attention as this thread gets, should it not get a sticky???

Bill Needle - great to expound on what possibly can be done
basaro - I appreciate in advance for helping!
Old 06-20-05, 03:08 PM

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.........
Old 06-20-05, 07:38 PM

The posted file is not quite complete. Be aware. I am working on improving the list.
Old 06-20-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks very much, jhester and JoN!

Now can someone tell why I'm having problems importing the list into Excel? Seems that some of the entries in the .csv list have a stray return in them; so part of the entry gets split off into a second row, making it impossible to do any sort of sorting. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but I can figure out what???

Last edited by CrumpsBrother; 06-20-05 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by CrumpsBrother
Thanks very much, jhester and JoN!

Now can someone tell why I'm having problems importing the list into Excel? Seems that some of the entries in the .csv list have a stray return in them; so part of the entry gets split off into a second row, making it impossible to do any sort of sorting. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but I can figure out what???
I've been having the same problem. I then opened it in Word and did a 'find and replace' search for all paragraph returns, but then the file wouldn't open right. There's also a few extra tabs that exist in each title just before the paragraph return. I think that the quotes are unneccessary as well, but I'm not sure. Since I didn't need anything other than the selection number and title, I just deleted all columns except 'a' and 'b' and resorted alphabetically. Also, the filed opened better in Openoffice than in Microsoft Works (there's more options in Openoffice).
Old 06-20-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you delete the "Format" column it will work. Those entries are the cause.
Old 06-21-05, 12:36 AM

Got my latest data miner results up at a free file server for now..

ch_20050618.csv

I've got enrollment availability for most titles (about 96%). I haven't been able to determine some yet due to a bug in ch's site, but I'll try to work on that. The ones I don't know about are marked with a '?'.

There are also about 10 titles that CH did not have pricing information on during this run. These are mostly tv show sets.

I'll try to add all the extra info soon as well. Especially the selection numbers.
Old 06-21-05, 07:53 AM

I bow to the superiority of Nickleplated's list. Mine takes too long to run, and it does not indicate enrollment. His is missing some minor data like # of disks & year. (It also doesn't seem to have the "adult" titles)
Old 06-21-05, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by nickleplated
Got my latest data miner results up at a free file server for now..

ch_20050618.csv

I've got enrollment availability for most titles (about 96%). I haven't been able to determine some yet due to a bug in ch's site, but I'll try to work on that. The ones I don't know about are marked with a '?'.

There are also about 10 titles that CH did not have pricing information on during this run. These are mostly tv show sets.

I'll try to add all the extra info soon as well. Especially the selection numbers.
Very cool nickelplated, thanks! If you can get your miner to include at least the selection#, I can use it in my database (I use the selection number as my key to duplicates, and it is needed). Selection number,title,regular price, and enrollment are probably the 4 most important data items to mine, then perhaps studio. If you could get all of these, that would rule.
Old 06-21-05, 08:36 AM

I wouldn't say it's superior.. it's missing the Selection Numbers which I liked from bga's and your list, as well as the minor data, and yeah, I forgot about the "adult" section.
Old 06-21-05, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by jhester
I bow to the superiority of Nickleplated's list. Mine takes too long to run, and it does not indicate enrollment. His is missing some minor data like # of disks & year. (It also doesn't seem to have the "adult" titles)
I am working with your list and the stray line feed character was throwing off my data import too. I noticed these on the bobblehead listings particularly. I have to enchance my import a little before I'll be able to work around it. I'm not even sure why bobbleheads are in the listing, they should probably be omitted anyway.

But since you are bowing to nickleplated's list, I may also follow suit if he can provide with my small request I am still going to work on your list in the meantime though, there were 7960 items on it. It's nice to see a big fat list again! It's also possible that you may have picked up additional titles, and if so, I can use both lists to populate the database.
Old 06-21-05, 08:44 AM

basaro, I'll definately work on it.. btw, my miner dumps everything into a relational mysql database.. don't know if that would be useful to you.. maybe a dump file with insert statements would be more helpful than a csv list for you? I'm using the ch item number as a key instead of the selection number since I think the selection numbers occasionally (rarely) change.
Old 06-21-05, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
If can be so bold as to make a request, along with designating enrollment titles, bga was able to put out a list of differences form list to list. This allowed easy determination of which titles were newly available for enrollment, which titles were added to the catalogue, which titles had price drops, etc. This was just as valuable to me as the complete list itself.
These ideas are all part of the design of my database, based on the information that was provided in bga's list. I was looking to emulate that information in a database so it could more easily be referenced, sorted, searched, etc. Now that I've started to work on it again with jhester's list, I'll be able to complete it. YAY! And keep the ideas coming!

I am working on the web page, nothing to see yet though, it's all local. So far it has the ability to sort by selection,title,price and studio. There will be an easy way to see what titles are available for enrollment and if they aren't, when they will be, and eventually there will be a search feature. It's all part of the grand scheme. I'm spending most of my free time on this now, I want to get the done asap!

Cheers

Last edited by basaro; 06-21-05 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by nickleplated
basaro, I'll definately work on it.. btw, my miner dumps everything into a relational mysql database.. don't know if that would be useful to you.. maybe a dump file with insert statements would be more helpful than a csv list for you? I'm using the ch item number as a key instead of the selection number since I think the selection numbers occasionally (rarely) change.
Sweet! I already wrote an import for bga's csv list a while back, so I can just adjust it to your list, shouldn't be too hard. But I'd like to take a look at the dump file too, I might be able to work with it as well. You can email it to me if you want.
And if you could include the item number in the data, that would also be extremely useful. If what you say is true about selection numbers changing, I could switch to using the item number as my duplicate key instead. And it's also nice to have the item number as well, so I can link directly to each item at CH's site!
Cool stuff.
Old 06-21-05, 10:04 AM

You guys rule!!!!
Old 06-21-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Me likes what me hears!

Thanks again to all who are VERY generously donating their personal time for our benefit!

It's times like this that make me proud to be an internet message board dweeb.

Old 06-21-05, 10:58 PM

I'll say this again...

What has to be done to make this thread a STICKY!!!
Old 06-22-05, 12:38 AM

i've just posted jhester's latest list to the site posted above... if nickelplated or anyone else need's me to host something drop a line... jon at ruineddaydreams dot com

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.