DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Downtown Manhattan $15 DVD Guy on Bway - Part 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/76986-downtown-manhattan-%2415-dvd-guy-bway-part-2-a.html)

dgc 11-26-02 10:33 PM

Originally posted by bahgee
I was there today too. It sucks that he now charges $40/game. I agree its not worth it. I remember when games were $30. I chatted the guy a bit and he said his "distributor" charges him $38/game and thats why he had to raise his prices. I find it hard to believe that he stands out there all day long to make $2/game!

Oh well, that's my 2 cents. Once he raises DVD prices, it'll all be over!

The sad part is even if he raises his prices, he will still move product. Ignorant people love to buy from street vendors thinking they are getting a great deal.

And quite honest, for the non-ebay buyers, at $40, it's still a good deal when compared to paying $49.99 + tax at a retail store.

They probably figure that since the gift giving holidays are approaching, they will have no problem selling there stuff at higher prices. Maybe they will fall back to $30-35 after the holidays.

bahgee 11-27-02 08:21 PM

Originally posted by dgc
The sad part is even if he raises his prices, he will still move product. Ignorant people love to buy from street vendors thinking they are getting a great deal.

And quite honest, for the non-ebay buyers, at $40, it's still a good deal when compared to paying $49.99 + tax at a retail store.

They probably figure that since the gift giving holidays are approaching, they will have no problem selling there stuff at higher prices. Maybe they will fall back to $30-35 after the holidays.

Good point abt people thinking they are getting good deals. I frequently see people buying stuff from this guy and all they are really saving is tax, especially on the days new DVDs are released at Best Buy, Circuit City and even J&R.

Lastblade 11-27-02 09:17 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
I was jumping out of my seat reading your post and was ready to run out of the door when I saw that last line...

For those prices, I can go to the stores here on 32nd btwn 6th and 7th Ave, and get them on the day they are released. Really.

Thanks for the update though!

Jeremy

Well done!! I was there today and they have Splinter Cell for $44... Why bother to even go to this guy at $40 a pop? Maybe if you happen to be there, sure you can check it out but to make a special trip for this price? Hell no, not at $40/game...

And I highly doubt that he only makes $2/game... He makes at least 10.

adidasss 12-01-02 05:55 PM

I could bargain in any small gameshops w/o paying tax for the games. Why bother wasting your time to buy it from the criminals?

dgc 12-01-02 09:14 PM

Originally posted by adidasss
I could bargain in any small gameshops w/o paying tax for the games. Why bother wasting your time to buy it from the criminals?
Again, there is no proof these guys are criminals. They do have a legitimate street vendor license and are not selling bootleg products.

I've seen NYPD purchase dvds from these guys but I wouldn't go as far as saying they are legit either. The fact of the matter is we just don't know.

Moral of the story:

When there is an occasional good deal to be had..... ignorance is bliss. :D

bahgee 12-02-02 08:05 PM

Hey dgc,

were you there today? I saw nypd checking out some of his games. Though it was kind of funny.

zerotl 12-02-02 09:01 PM

You guys see any gc games lately? Haven't seen him in a while, but last time he had starfox and animal crossing.

Nickel-01 12-04-02 12:59 PM

I'm interested in GameCube games too (RE0, Mario Party 4), but if he's selling GC games at $40 too then forget it man!

"on 32nd btwn 6th and 7th ave"

Hey I work pretty close to there, I think I'll go check them out! Thnx!

coreynyc 12-05-02 09:29 AM

Re: the 2 video game stores on 32nd bet. 6th & 7th.

The one closer to Penn Station (7th Ave.) that is in a camera/electronics store has slightly better prices than the one closer to 6th Ave that has mostly video games.

naughty 12-05-02 12:51 PM

I was very much surprised to see him there today in the midst of this snowstorm we're having. As a result of slow business today, I was able to negotiate him down to $10 each for the following DVD'S....ICE AGE, AUSTIN POWERS:GOLDMEMBER, E.T. and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST CE.

dgc 12-05-02 01:06 PM

Originally posted by naughty
I was very much surprised to see him there today in the midst of this snowstorm we're having. As a result of slow business today, I was able to negotiate him down to $10 each for the following DVD'S....ICE AGE, AUSTIN POWERS:GOLDMEMBER, E.T. and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST CE.
Very nice deal.

:lol: ICE AGE, how appropriate!!!

Jago 12-05-02 02:15 PM

Damn, maybe his games are cheap today too....

Any games today?

Jago 12-06-02 10:23 AM

Any sightings today?

nydoofus 12-12-02 11:06 AM

Is he around today?

Dabaomb 12-12-02 11:27 AM

Originally posted by nydoofus
Is he around today?
He was there today. Didn't have much stuff though.

I think I'm gonna stop goin' down there cuz the only thing I want is Band of Brothers. He always says that he'll have it in 2 days and yet NEVER has it. I think I'm just gonna order it from Amazon.ca

axolotls return 12-13-02 12:27 AM

Probably waiting for his buddy in the warehouse or truck to secure some copies. </sarcasm>

ljp99 12-13-02 03:36 PM

U.S. Breaks Up Music Counterfeiting Operation in Queens

(12/12/02 - New York) -- The U.S. Secret Service uncovered a large piracy operation in a Queens warehouse - seizing thousands of compact discs and DVDs and hundreds of machines capable of producing six million discs a year.

The raid of the warehouse in Long Island City on Monday followed a two-month investigation by the Secret Service and the Recording Industry Association of America.

Agents seized 35-thousand illegally copied music discs, ten thousand movies on DVD and 421 compact disc burners that are used to make the counterfeit products. Three men were arrested.

coreynyc 12-13-02 04:01 PM

This guy doesn't sell fakes. I see bootlegs practically everyday here on 34th St, if you have half a brain you could tell a real one from a fake.

timewaster 12-13-02 10:17 PM

Originally posted by coreynyc
This guy doesn't sell fakes. I see bootlegs practically everyday here on 34th St, if you have half a brain you could tell a real one from a fake.
I second that. He sells the real stuff. I know since I've lived in NYC all my life and grew up seeing counterfeits all over the city.

Jago 12-18-02 10:50 AM

Any sightings today?

dgc 12-18-02 12:18 PM

I didn't walk to Broadway today but he was setting up around 1:00 yesterday afternoon. He was waiting for the tables to arrive. He had 4 very large gym bags full of discs. He said he had a lot of new xbox video games but I didn't want to wait in the cold for him to setup once the tables arrived.

My guess is that he is there today.

bahgee 12-19-02 08:42 PM

he was there today

Had BTF for $30
Lilo Stitch, MIB2, Minority Report, Spiderman, + others for $15

Video Games , good selection but $40 - PS2 Ghost Recon, Minority Report, Splinter Cell (Xbox)+ a few others

Kromax 12-20-02 07:10 AM

Will please someone post if he's there today and has BTTF for us folks in midtown.

zerotl 12-20-02 01:25 PM

He's there today. Mostly xbox games.... Juwanna Mann, 1 episode2, and I can't even remember, I just glanced at it...

Jago 12-20-02 01:50 PM

wow, he actually came out in the rain......