DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Black Friday 2021 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/654045-black-friday-2021-a.html)

JohnIan 10-20-21 05:06 AM

Black Friday 2021

http://s12.imageupper.com/1_t/4/J163...01344590_1.jpg

Indeed.

Will update as new information surfaces. *nods*

Lets begin...

- - -

Wal-Mart

Like with last year, "Black Friday" will not be a single day for the store, but spread out - different days, different sales. Unlike before, those who are members of "Walmart+" will have early access. Never heard of it gathering the list. For them it starts on November 10th at 3 PM to 6 PM (Eastern time), members only.

Deal go live for everybody else in stores on the 12th at 5 AM.

Should be noted, a first for them...

Due to circumstances beyond our control, select items may not be available in all stores
Can this be about the supply chain getting throttled?

There will aways be sales, but they won't be as deep and as plentiful.
- Aaron Cheris from Bain & Company

Where I live there are a huge stacks/pile of truck cargos (store logo) that can be seen from the freeway, a ton of them. Can only guess they're for the stores in the area. Off the top of my head, four of them. Enough for them all? Don't know.

November 12th, 2021 (Friday)

$5.96 titles - over 30 titles

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins
Godzilla Vs. Kong
Godzilla/Kong: Skull Isand/Godzilla: King Of The Monsters - 3 Film Collection
The Meg/Deep Blue Sea/Deep Blue Sea 2 - 3 Film Collection
James Bond: Daniel Craig Collection
The Croods: A New Age
The Marksman
Wonder Woman 1984
A Quite Place: Part II
Mortal Kombat (remake)
Fantastic Beasts: 2 Film Collection
Jurassic World - 2 Movie Collection (store exclusive)
Spirit: Untamed
Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Sole Christmas (live action)
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (animated)
Trolls: World Tour
Elf
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
The Polar Express
Sonic The Hedgehog
Abominable
Paw Patrol: Pups Saves Christmas
Paw Patrol: The Movie
Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer
Straight Outta Nowhere - Scooby Doo
(additional titles in store)

$7.96 titles - over 40 titles

Black Panther
Mulan (live action)
Frozen
Frozen II
Moana
Onward
Tangled
Toy Story 4
Fox And The Hound - 2 Movie Collection
Aladdin (live action)
The New Mutants
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker
Avengers: End Game
Captain Marvel
The Lion King (live action)
Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil
Mickey's Christmas Carol: 30th Anniversary
Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas

$9.96 titles - over 30 titles

Wonder Woman/Wonder Woman 1984 - Double Feature (store exclusive)
Troll/Troll: World Tour - 2 Movie Collection (store exclusive)
The Croods/The Croods: A New Age - 2 Movie Collection
Shrek: 4 - Movie Collection
How To Train Your Dragon: 3 Movie Collection
Friday The 13th: 8 Movie Collection
Rocky: 6 Film Collection
Game Of Thrones: Seasons 1 - 8 (each)
Supernatural: Season 15
The Big Bang Theory: Season 12
The Umbrella Academy: Season 1
Batwoman: Season 2
The Flash: Season 7
Band Of Brothers
The Pacific
Doom Patrol: Season 2
Snowpiecer: Season 1
His Dark Materials: Season 1
Lovecraft Country: Season 1
Rick And Morty: Season 4

$12.96 titles - over 30 titles

Black Widow
Luca
Soul
Cruella
Free Guy
Raya And The Last Dragon
Finding Nemo/Finding Dora - 2 Movie Collection
The Incredibles/The Incredibles 2 - 2 Movie Collection

If you're into vinyl there are many records and store exclusives for $15.00.

Hoping I can find season ten "The Walking Dead" for ten or so. I need that. And will pick up S7 of "The Flash". Like a radio station covering the top 40, this feels limited. Would like to find "Resident Alien" S1, "The Nevers" S1 P1, "American Gods" seasons, "Penny Dreadful City Of Angels" S1 and others on DVD.

PhantomStranger 10-20-21 04:53 PM

Re: Black Friday 2021

The UHD offerings appear to be limited. The best UHD deal I've seen offered this Black Friday will be Zack Snyder's Justice League UHD for $9.96.

A few more will be priced at $12.96.

TheOne 10-20-21 07:32 PM

Thanks for posting. I was wondering which Friday would have media for sale.

Are there lots of blurays on this list? I have been buying blurays nowadays.

Thanks.

JohnIan 10-21-21 04:15 AM

Are there lots of blurays on this list?
Yes. There are some and 4k BDs too. But I'm just listing the DVDs.

TheOne 10-21-21 11:54 AM

Thanks. I was just trying to see if it was worth it for me to go to Walmart as I am only interested in getting Blu-ray versions of the movies.
Just been buying Blu-rays instead of DVDs because of the better picture quality.

JohnIan 10-22-21 04:42 AM

I was just trying to see if it was worth it for me to go to Walmart as I am only interested in getting Blu-ray versions of the movies.
Okay.

cabler30 10-30-21 08:59 PM

I get a mix dvd and bluray so if can do may try check later but for 6 bucks new idk cause gotta be alot extra because rare buy new stuff till later till it cheaper anytime.

JohnIan 10-31-21 04:50 AM

It's a hunt, that's pretty much a constant.

My plan is to go to two stores (Wal-Marts) and see what I can find off my list.

The rest will be sought from online from whoever has the better deal (with shipping).

cabler30 11-04-21 07:04 PM

Seeing posts here and just checkd black friday ads online the dvd are like 6 buck and price goes up from there. guess they try control traffic by charging more now compared to years past for media. guess while this pandemic keeps going media wont be 2.00 bucks and higher no more.

JohnIan 11-05-21 04:13 AM

The prices stop at thirteen - and those are for Disney titles which are usually kept high.

The prices are petty much the same as other years; I'm a veteran of BF sales - going since 2007. What IS different is the selection of titles, made more worse with the supply breakdown.

I'm pretty sure there will be some titles that are two bucks or so. Unlisted releases, but that will be older stock - trying to get rid of.

MooMooMooMoo 11-05-21 08:05 PM

VCI is having a sale. Other than the Karloff's & the Pickford's not a lot. I bought a 4 Star Playhouse collection at $7.50 which came to almost $13 with tax & shipping. Not that great of a deal, but I collect the series, & I only had one of the episodes.

cabler30 11-06-21 12:40 AM

I may check walmart for any i really want if that but if not in town to check then i can skip np lol. other events i try go to are going on during same time by chance but like short time then before cause covid hassles. in some ways it not a gotta go but cause changes and budget it a 50/50 chance i go really at time.

JohnIan 11-07-21 02:12 AM

in some ways it not a gotta go but cause changes and budget it a 50/50 chance i go really at time.
There you go.

JohnIan 11-10-21 04:24 AM

Big Lots!

This is crap on a cracker. Their sale is for Thanksgiving day only; November 25th - 7am to 9pm.

The problem is no movies/TV shows are shown. No DVDs nor BDs. In fact most of their offers are discounts. As in, take 50% off, 30% off and 20% off. Some have prices, but not solid... starting from.

Now I'm sure there will be some media on sale, but I can't say to what degree. It's like they're not sure what merchandise they will actually have in stock so their ad reflects that influx situation.

There are some 'things'.

1) Friday 26th only - 6am to 12pm - take an extra 15% off everything for Rewards Members.

2) Thursday 25th only - first come, first served - free mini-lights for Christmas for Rewards Members in store.

That's it.

TheOne 11-10-21 09:22 PM

Is it November 12 Friday or November 15 that the dvd/blurays that would be on sale at the store? I thought I saw at bestbuy website it was November 15 Monday. Can anyone confirm rhe day? Thanks.

JohnIan 11-11-21 08:09 AM

Been looking nearly everyday. Hasn't appeared yet, no BF ads for Best Buy or Target yet.

Can anyone confirm rhe day? Thanks.
Sites are showing the 2020 ads for reference. You could be seeing that.

By the way, they're mistakenly showing next week's Target ad as if it's a Black Friday preview. It's not, it's next week's ad.

So far we are... waiting.

Josh-da-man 11-11-21 02:28 PM

Yeah, it's weird. We're two weeks out from Thanksgiving. The ads have always been out by now.

cabler30 11-11-21 05:18 PM

Can only guess cause pandemic and shipments are lagging cause ports are backlogged that they have no news to give incase the stock does not arrive in time for sale any. been seeing news of ships waiting in sea to come in and remove any stuff that was ordered who knows how far back and it just taking a long time to get in and unload the containers any. so may not get ads to show till closer to turkey day i guessing. so it a whole wait and see type deal any.

zyzzle 11-11-21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14010661)
Yeah, it's weird. We're two weeks out from Thanksgiving. The ads have always been out by now.

That means no real deals, or really shitty deals on old, crusty stock that was bad two years ago when it was current. Or, merely "take 5% off storewide! Limited to in-stock items only" coupon crap.

JohnIan 11-12-21 03:30 AM

My thoughts echo Cabler30's comments.

I get the feeling that they don't know what they will get or how much of it. So they're waiting for some answer = no ad.

I know that Wal-Mart has been squirreling supplies for BF since May. One of my friends does machinery repairs - he's been seeing piles of their cargo haul, parked - stacked next to each other for months all over the place. Looks like they were ahead of the game.

The rest are suffering, such as Big Lots. I'm pretty sure this will be the worst Black Friday in decades. Later this morning I'm going to Wal-Mart for various DVDs (mine and Christmas gifts). I didn't make my list until a few hours ago. I typically have a list done a week in advance, adding stuff the closer the date comes. Not this year.

This could very well be the Cyber Monday tipping point. But can backfire on them. Late last month I got an email from Bank Of America saying that bills needs to be paid early if done by mail. They were contacted by the Postal Service saying there will be delays this year since they have less staff and more mail (plus packages). All those who will buy from places like Amazon will have a longer wait to receive them.

Good luck to all those going out later today for their media wishes. I know I need it. Will be hitting two stores.

Pulled it out...

The United States Postal Service began changing first-class mail delivery time frames in October. This change may result in mailed statements, new or replacement cards and payments you mail taking longer to arrive.
- BofA

JohnIan 11-13-21 03:22 AM

Three Wal-Marts; I started at 6:30am.

Yeah, this was damn poor. I got lucky with the first store. The second was tiny. The third was just above that. The rack on wheels - that was their selection. Granted there was a tiny display for Disney titles. I hope you had better luck, those who shopped.

My loot...

http://s12.imageupper.com/1_t/10/H16...91631698_1.jpg http://s12.imageupper.com/1_t/10/H16...91631698_2.jpg http://s12.imageupper.com/1_t/10/H16...91631698_3.jpg

The ones without stickers were on regular sale. That Lego Batman is the two disc version for five bucks.

For those are curious - the link.

https://www.walmart.com/shop/deals/m.../movies-and-tv

asianxcore 11-14-21 07:33 PM

Didn't want much from Walmart's Black Friday sales this year but I managed to picked up a few DVDs I was after (from the shippers).

Eddie Murphy: 14-Movie Collection ($9.96)
The Walking Dead: The Complete Tenth Season ($7.96)

JohnIan 11-15-21 04:59 AM

Target

Yup. Just as predicted - this WILL BE the worst BF in decades. This year the store will be covering a week, starting on November 21st - 27th; closed on Thanksgiving (25th).

Their Black Friday sale on media is "Buy 2, Get 1 Free: Movies, Books & Music" (must be on the same receipt).

That's it.

No prices listed in this abysmal offering (DVDs and BDs). I don't even think I'll even try. What little money I have - might as well do Cyber Monday because this is BS. So glad I did my shopping at Wal-Mart earlier, got a good chuck of the stuff on my list and then some.

cabler30 11-16-21 01:10 AM

Reading posts i can see i can skip black friday any and if places are closed turkey day then wonder who else gonna be closed by chance like last year. this pandemic has really caused alot to change but atleast workers can try enjoy holiday since closed cause pandemic and give workers chance to really enjoy fam time if can this year again. so far my plans are up in air but anything possible . like stuff wanna do but not sure how bad wanna till it happens later.

JohnIan 11-16-21 03:58 AM

Cabler30 it has less to to with the pandemic as it does with trucks.

No.

One of the main avenues for merchants is the Port Of Los Angeles. Because of our insane governor; the only transport trucks, big rigs allowed are hybrid vehicles - to enter and leave California. Why not just mod the existing trucks?

They made it clear this is just the start - they're pushing for 100% electric trucks or no big rigs can operate in the state. So why even mod their fleet? It will become null and even more money has to be spent to make it up to CA code. This is why so little merchandise is arriving at stores and prices going up. Supplies are getting harder to come by.

The next level of insanity - they want all the cargo ships parked off the coast (waiting for available trucks to unload) to LEAVE. If they don't have hybrid vehicles on the ready, don't bother coming to California. Not joking. God wish I was joking.

This is why we have a supply shortages and rising inflation. There are not enough hybrid vehicles to unload onto. Things will only get worse. They think they're doing us all a favor by going Green, but solar and wind are not long term viable; windless days and cloudy weather will give us black outs for days and day. Dark days are coming for us in CA...

And the rest of the nation because of their irrational pursuits, child-like daydreams. This is why Black Friday sucks, not because of the pandemic. I've seen so many people not wearing their mask proper - they're going through the motions. Under their jaw or under their noses. What's the point? The answer is politicians wanting to be edgy.