DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Black Friday 2020 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/651288-black-friday-2020-a.html)

JohnIan 09-13-20 04:45 AM

Black Friday 2020

A heads up.

Couple of days back - was at my local Wal-Mart, shopping. Picked up season two of "The Terror". From what I've read, not as good as the first season. Don't have cable, a blind buy.

I spoke to one of the employee. Will there be one this year? The answer is yes. There will be some protocols taken (wasn't made clear). But they will be doing - in store Black Friday.

Which means both Best Buy and Target won't be left out and will have their own, same with Big Lots!

As usually, I'll keep up with the news and of course the titles for sale. Just wanted to share and hope they'll have a decent selection. Last year was... not that great, stuff I didn't want or already had. And what I did want as in low supply, didn't get them - "Toy Story 4" comes to mind.

cabler30 09-14-20 08:31 AM

Re: Black Friday 2020

Yea, what i have heard or read stores will just not start blackfriday till friday so workers can chill thursday and be off for holiday. so it just wont start the day before as always and just start friday so just gotta be early friday to score any deals really or by chance score cheaper deals if close to it sometime before. i thnk this first time maynot see many bug gotta work holiday and can relax with family and really enjoy turkey and not gotta rush to job to work since some or many places be closed cause virus and all.

JohnIan 09-15-20 07:48 AM

so just gotta be early friday to score any deals really
Okay. I'm okay with that.

cabler30 09-15-20 02:23 PM

Most time when i go if can i just check for media on sale and scored some good stuff if got many copies of same movie at time. i try be aware cause have scored some good stuff past trips to walmart on black friday. guessing they wont be as slammed and media wont be such a mess since cant shop day ahead of it lol. everyone gotta check same day so displays wont be a miss as use to be years past lol. but when u got so much already, u tend to be more selective so try for cheap ones and score gold then.

JohnIan 09-20-20 04:01 AM

got many copies of same movie at time
I don't have that problem.

DiggityDawg 09-20-20 08:29 AM

I guess this is related...I just noticed the site I've used for years to get the early scoop on Black Friday sales ( bfads.com ) is no more. That sucks. They were a really good resource. Anyone know of other good sites on the topic?

snorlaxnut 09-21-20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by DiggityDawg (Post 13808877)
I guess this is related...I just noticed the site I've used for years to get the early scoop on Black Friday sales ( bfads.com ) is no more. That sucks. They were a really good resource. Anyone know of other good sites on the topic?

Try blackfriday.com . This is the site I use.

JohnIan 09-22-20 07:06 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

PhantomStranger 09-22-20 11:42 PM

I really wonder what the studios will "give" us for Black Friday this year. The shopping event for them was always an excuse to dump leftover copies of flops and new movies they over manufactured earlier in the year. But Covid and the shutdown has changed all that.

cabler30 09-28-20 03:02 PM

Yep, i have scored alot good stuff on black friday i not expect to but find and check and nice to get cheaper. even score some movies that are maybe few years old in dumpbins not bad. so yea. black friday can score big mdeia wise if priced right for what u want any. was shocked score a Deadpool box set just movies 1 combo and 1 not but still like 2.00 bucks not bad. besides other movies in past for 2 bucks that was only i guess came out last year or 2 i think. so black friday is a gold mine or nice time stockpile any. besides checkd other places day before and was some ok stuff but walmart had the gold i think.

Edison 10-24-20 01:01 PM

Walmart has posted the first two weeks of early BF ads. Movies are in the Nov 11-15 ad starting Nov. 14 online @ 12 am, and in store @ 5 am. A lot of the movies show in-store only so I don't know what the selection online will be. I'm assuming this is because the cardboard displays usually have more than pictured. Unfortunately shows only 6 4K movies (Star Wars Rise of Skywalker, Midway, John Wick 1,2,3, and Angel Has Fallen).

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5fd2f9e2e6.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8d3e9e40da.jpg

JohnIan 10-25-20 02:56 AM

This is why I love this place.

Thanks for the heads-up Edison; Theora approves.

Should start makin' my list.

cabler30 10-26-20 06:16 PM

I wonder if they gonna have dvds any cheaper like years past or they assume traffic staying home so may have xtra bank to spend more on dvds any. depends on budget gonna be a lot less snagged if no cheaper then 4 bucks.

Noticing the date they havinh this stuff on sale so to speak weeks before turkey day. so some or many not need slam store same day they having it happen gradually over time up to black friday. but still dvds use to be like 2.00 bucks and now they think we gonna pay more cause we getting the deals sooner? i just glad i random grab real wants for reason. and so guess gotta wait till later see if they do let go of stock for cheaper by chance.

JohnIan 10-27-20 06:36 AM

Noticing the date they havinh this stuff on sale so to speak weeks before turkey day. so some or many not need slam store same day they having it happen gradually over time up to black friday.
Probably done to reduce the amount customers at the store due to Black Friday. The first wave is just for media. Then the second wave will be for electronics and such. This way the store isn't packed, arm to arm patrons.

Josh-da-man 10-27-20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Edison (Post 13829313)
Walmart has posted the first two weeks of early BF ads. Movies are in the Nov 11-15 ad starting Nov. 14 online @ 12 am, and in store @ 5 am. A lot of the movies show in-store only so I don't know what the selection online will be. I'm assuming this is because the cardboard displays usually have more than pictured. Unfortunately shows only 6 4K movies (Star Wars Rise of Skywalker, Midway, John Wick 1,2,3, and Angel Has Fallen).

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5fd2f9e2e6.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8d3e9e40da.jpg

That's a pretty lousy ad. "In store only," during a goddamned pandemic? The media should all be online; it's small, light, and easy to ship. "Prices may vary by title and format." DVDs, blu-rays, CDs, and video games, should be the first stuff to go online only for Black Friday sales.

Jeez... we're in a pandemic that's only going to get worse through November, and you're still sending people to stores for the feeding frenzy on vague ads that promise more titles not listed in the store?

Granted, the "media" sales aren't as popular as they were in years past, but they're still putting shoppers and employees in danger with this.

cabler30 10-30-20 02:23 AM

Most time i waited till friday any ways, but can skip if not see them at a cheaper price since already have so much . can easy skip go other places if i get the itch to check any other place. can still see they expect shoppers to be waiting for it to open fri at 5am lol even though they closed thurs cause holiday and pandemic by chance. there may be some who so need to get anything thinking it gonna be so cheap at time. be shocked see any chaos videos like years before cause some ur many will gear up lol to shop. all masked and gloved etc just to get the deals at 5am fri lol.

JohnIan 11-06-20 03:12 AM

Wal-Mart

November 14th, 2020 (Saturday)

Stores open at 5am with sales beginning online at 9pm 11/13 (West Coast).

Listed for clarity...

Sonic: The Hedgehog $3.96
Trolls: World Tour - Dance Party Edition $3.96
Birds Of Prey $3.96
Doctor Sleep $3.96
Just Mercy $3.96
Abominable $3.96
Joker $3.96
Wonder Woman $3.96
The Croods $3.96
Deep Blue Sea 3 $3.96
Scooby! $3.96
I Still Believe $3.96
The Way Back $3.96
Crazy Rich Asians $3.96
Creed/Creed II: 2 Film Double Feature $3.96
Bumblebee $3.96
Shazam! $3.96
Trolls: The Movie $3.96
Aquaman $3.96
Smallfoot $3.96
Detective Pikachu $3.96
Five Feet Apart $3.96
Hotel Transylvania 3 $3.96
MIB: International $3.96
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald $3.96
Harriet $3.96
(additional titles on sale)

- - -

The Grinch $3.96
Last Christmas $3.96
Home Alone $3.96
Home Alone 2 $3.96
Bad Mom's Chrismas $3.96
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (live action) $3.96
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer $3.96
Trolls Holiday $3.96
Daddy's Home 2 $3.96
(additional Christmas titles on sale)

- - -

Mission Impossible: 6 Movie Collection $9.96
Paw Patrol: Pawsome Collection $9.96
Audrey Hepburn: 5 Film Collection $9.96
Transformers: 5 Movie Collection $9.96
Fear Of The Walking Deads: Seasons 1 - 3 Collection $9.96
Power: Seasons 1 - 3 set $9.96
Game Of Thrones: Season 8 $9.96
Spartacus: War of The Damned $9.96
The Big Bang Theory: Season 12 $9.96
Yellowstone: Season 2 $9.96
Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series $9.96
Titans: Season 2 $9.96
Doom Patrol: Season 1 $9.96
(additional TV shows on sale)

cabler30 11-09-20 01:30 AM

So guessing compared to years before they charging a buck or 2 more any media for black friday. so pretty much they are like 4 to 5 bucks ea if include tax and crap lol. if go and try for any then it gonna have to be anything i want real bad and enough extras i wanna see anytime. the cheaper it is the more i grab but if cost more the less i get lol.

JohnIan 11-09-20 03:48 AM

Best Buy

Could not believe it - ZERO DVDs listed in the 2020 BF Best Buy ad. Rumors have been circulating that the retail store will stop selling physical media in store. Some stores have gotten their movie areas taken out.

JoeySeven 11-10-20 01:50 AM

JohnIan
Are all those movies you listed all from the ad? I'm trying to see what Walmart has on sale this BF in Blu and 4K.
But if most of these deals are going to be in store, I think I'm going to pass.

Kind of does not surprise me about so few DVDs this year.
Last few times I been to my lock BB and Target ,hardly any media and even less DVDs,
Have not been to a pawn shop or Walmart in over 6 months.

I buy most of my DVDs from DT, Hamilton books and a few international.
Still find a complete TV boxset at good price once in awhile.

JoeySeven 11-11-20 12:36 AM

Voltron: Defender of the Universe - The Complete Original Series (DVD) $20

at Best Buy and Amazon is price matching. Was $54.99
I had bought many years ago the sets that came in metal tins. i think from Fry's when they had lots of media.

JohnIan 11-13-20 08:16 AM

Are all those movies you listed all from the ad? I'm trying to see what Walmart has on sale this BF in Blu and 4K.
But if most of these deals are going to be in store, I think I'm going to pass.
Yes. The DVDs.

agitprop 11-13-20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13831107)
That's a pretty lousy ad. "In store only," during a goddamned pandemic? The media should all be online; it's small, light, and easy to ship. "Prices may vary by title and format." DVDs, blu-rays, CDs, and video games, should be the first stuff to go online only for Black Friday sales.

Jeez... we're in a pandemic that's only going to get worse through November, and you're still sending people to stores for the feeding frenzy on vague ads that promise more titles not listed in the store?

Granted, the "media" sales aren't as popular as they were in years past, but they're still putting shoppers and employees in danger with this.

I totally agree - why risk the health of customers and staff when you could easily sell online and decrease the risks. Total GREED on retailers part overlooking that if grandpa or little Joey gets Covid-19 while shopping, the family will always associate *that store* with the death of a loved one. Really stupid short-term thinking from a marketing and branding perspective.

PhantomStranger 11-13-20 03:51 PM

From what I hear, Target won't even have a Black Friday ad. It appears most retailers are taking this year as an excuse to gut physical media's presence in their stores. Walmart just cut down their CD section in most stores to one measly shelf.

JohnIan 11-14-20 04:36 AM

Big Lots!

DVDs and BDs from $1.88 to $2.88; "assortment varies by store".

Doors open on November 26th; 7 am to 1 pm. They will reopen the next day at 7 am.