DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Black Friday 2016

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Black Friday 2016

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
This is definitely the worst BF for media in my memory.

The one that really surprised me is an email from Amazon: I followed the link for Black Friday, clicked on films & went yawn; then clicked on music and ONLY 1 MUSIC CD CAME UP!
Amazon pretty much abandoned CD shoppers this Black Friday. Barnes & Noble is trying much harder these days to compete on CDs than Amazon.
Old 11-26-16, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

ClintFunHome, did you see - "Once Upon A Time" S5 or "Under The Dome" S3 among the sale titles at Target?
Old 11-26-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm beat. So much to keep track of, and then my BF included watching a collision that resulted in a minivan getting T-boned, flipping in the air, and then myself and some others pushed it back on it's wheels after it landed on it's side, trapping a father and son. Fortunately everyone seemed mostly unharmed.

Earlier in the week my mother's car was rear-ended while she was stopped at a red light (which happened to me last November). Even with so much else to worry about, try to stay safe!

Big Lots on Tuesday
The Vampire Diaries S4 $8 - I could have bought 2/$10 on Friday, but didn't know that, the 1 copy might have sold out, and it never had a BL barcode, so that might have been even more of a hassle with a long line. Good enough.

WM online Wednesday night for pickup next week
2 Broke Girls Season 5 $6.96
iZombie Season 2 $6.96
The 100 Season 2 $9.96
The 100 Season 3 $6.96
The Originals Season 3 $6.96

BB online Wednesday night for delivery next week
Empire Season 2 $9.99
Person of Interest Season 5 $9.99
Supernatural Season 11 $9.99
Deadpool Combo pack $7.99
Legend of Tarzan Combo pack $6.99 (and I can return the one I bought from Target for $15)
Me Before You Blu-ray $6.99

Amazon
Modern Family Season 7 $8.00
Pretty Little Liars Season 6 $10
Harry Potter Hogwarts Combo pack $84.99

Target in-store on BF
House of Cards Season 4 $8
TURN: Washington's Spies $8
Vampire Diaries Season 6 $10
Vampire Diaries Season 7 $10
Flash Season 2 Blu-ray $15

Wal-Mart in-store #1 on BF (on Hawthorne in Torrance, CA)
Age of Adaline Combo pack $5.96
Game of Thrones Season 2 $9.96, though I needed S3 not this, and I'll try to exchange
Magic City Season 2 $6.96 - though maybe I should have just bought the complete series, I'll look into it.

^ This store was a mess, with the shippers right by the registers, and in almost every one they were shallow up top (with cardboard inserts inside) and deep at the bottom, so lots of people sitting on the floor or bending over for extended periods. I saw a couple surprises, like 1 copy of the recent documentary The Hunt w/slip and a copy of The Musketeers S3 w/slip. I can't believe I bought the wrong Season of GoT. More importantly, I saw one copy of Doctor Thorne but hadn't heard about it except for the one mention in this thread. I carried it around for 20 minutes, but decided to pass. Upon further investigation I wish I would have bought it. For some reason I struggle with the "Buy it when you see it and return it later if you need to" mentality. Ah well.

Wal-Mart in-store #2 on BF (on Normandie, just South of the 405 in Torrance, CA)
I didn't buy anything here, having picked a lot of stuff up before. Sometimes just not knowing whether it would or would not be available at WM at all, or in-store. In some cases I regret that, and at Target too, but there are some titles I just did not see in-store, like The 100 S2 or iZombie S2.

This store had their shippers all the way in a far corner, hard to spot, and so they're very neat and mostly untouched. I saw most of the WB titles, including The 100 S3, Originals S3, Reign S3, and a few CBS such as a recent Criminal Minds Season, NCIS. At Store #1 I saw a single copy of S1 of Chicago Fire and at Store #2 a single copy of S2.

Originally Posted by JohnIan
They did not have "The Pacific", "Pretty Little Liars" or "Vinyl" or "Supergirl".

In fact none of the stores (I visited) had "Turn", "Once Upon A Time" or "How I Met Your Mother" or "The Royals" seasons. AND no seasons of "The Vampire Diaries" - I was looking for S7. They always have them, not this year.

And I saw no copies of "Ted" or "Back To The Future: Animated" (that was a main target).
I saw 1 copy of The Pacific at Store #1, and PLL, Vinyl and Supergirl at both. None of the others you mention except TVD, where S7 was at both, and S6 was at #1. Though you saw several I didn't see at either, like The Shannara Chronicles.

I am surprised that you had so many damaged. Pretty much everything I bought is in the original cellophane, but I guess I should check anyway.

ClintFunHome, did you see - "Once Upon A Time" S5 or "Under The Dome" S3 among the sale titles at Target?
I didn't see either at Target on sale. But again, The Vampire Diaries S6 & S7 were $10 each, if you're still looking.

Finally, thanks to everyone posting, and welcome moviefan25 !

Last edited by Strapped4Cash; 11-26-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 01:45 AM

resulted in a minivan getting T-boned, flipping in the air, and then myself and some others pushed it back on it's wheels after it landed on it's side, trapping a father and son. Fortunately everyone seemed mostly unharmed.
Holy crap.

- - -

I carried it around for 20 minutes, but decided to pass. Upon further investigation I wish I would have bought it.
Last year I got my first smart phone. My old one was a phone, phone. Named the new one "Dilettante", I mostly use the celluar internet for real life purchases; **Amazon** reviews. In the old days, I would go home and search online. Get back to the store the next day or so and find it gone or the only copies have damaged slipcovers.

Dilettante has changed my buying experince - same when I go to swap meets.

- - -

there are some titles I just did not see in-store, like The 100 S2 or iZombie S2.
I saw copies of "iZombie" S2 at both Wal-Mart I visited. And like you, no copies of S2 of "The 100". At Best Buy they were selling the latter for twenty five bucks.

Pass.

- - -

Though you saw several I didn't see at either, like The Shannara Chronicles.
That was in the main media area. I was curious and scanned it. Ten bucks. So it was on sale, but perhaps in limited quanities.

I did also see various seasons of "Little House On The Prairie" with slipcovers. Don't recall the price - I own all the seasons.

Did not see any copies of "The Vamprie Diaries" S7. Oh well.

There is another WM near me (for S7 TVD), but right now - I'm tapped. Man I spent a lot. I did however keep everything on budget. Zero credit cards used.

Did not go to Target this year. Their early, pre-sale they had last Sunday was weak as hell. Last year's pre-sale had a bunch of titles, not so for 2016.

New question - what season of "Turn" did they have at Target?

Last edited by JohnIan; 11-27-16 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 09:33 PM

Okay.

Went to a third Wal-Mart. Their BF offerings were still there and mostly stocked.

Though it was a mess. Few TV series sets; mostly movies.

I did however find S7 of "The Vampire Diaries". *happy panda face*

It was handled with care. No dents and all the discs are mint.

While there I picked up, "Victor Frankenstein", "London Has Fallen" (no slipcover) and "The Man From UNCLE" (movie not series); these too are mint.

Which was paid by plastic, so there goes my planning. But it wasn't much, so I'm fine.

Saw no seasons of "Turn" or "Twilight Zone" S1 at any of the three stores.
Old 11-28-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy crap.
Yeah, and what's worse is that I was in a position where I could see it was going to happen, but there was of course no way to stop it. Definitely a shame.

Last year I got my first smart phone. My old one was a phone, phone. Named the new one "Dilettante", I mostly use the celluar internet for real life purchases; **Amazon** reviews. In the old days, I would go home and search online. Get back to the store the next day or so and find it gone or the only copies have damaged slipcovers.

Dilettante has changed my buying experince - same when I go to swap meets.
Thanks for the story, it's good advice. I'm mostly pretty up on all the items in my wish list, but this was a low-priority, and I just flat out misremembered. It just seems such a high cost though, and there really are very very few times where a smart phone would've truly benefitted me. Glad it's working so well for you though.

I saw copies of "iZombie" S2 at both Wal-Mart I visited. And like you, no copies of S2 of "The 100". At Best Buy they were selling the latter for twenty five bucks.

Pass.
Better that you saw iZombie than me, as I'd already ordered online. So long as it arrives okay (*crossing fingers*), I'm okay with that. I don't blame you on The 100 Season 2, that being said, it's still up at WM .com for $9.96 with free ship to store, if you're interested.

That was in the main media area. I was curious and scanned it. Ten bucks. So it was on sale, but perhaps in limited quanities.
Thanks. I don't know if my local store ever carried it, they certainly don't now, so I wouldn't have found it regardless. At least you got one, hopefully you'll enjoy it.

I did also see various seasons of "Little House On The Prairie" with slipcovers. Don't recall the price - I own all the seasons.
I saw 1 of those at one store, I didn't take special note of it either. Perhaps they were limited, or just sold through quickly where I am.

Did not go to Target this year. Their early, pre-sale they had last Sunday was weak as hell. Last year's pre-sale had a bunch of titles, not so for 2016.
New question - what season of "Turn" did they have at Target?
Sorry, that was Season 2 for $8, but it only lasted through Friday, or maybe Saturday.

I agree that the pre-sale was close to useless. A bit better for the unadvertised BF shippers, like if I hadn't bought Modern Family for $8 and PLL for $10 elsewhere, then I would have picked it up there.

Okay.

Went to a third Wal-Mart. Their BF offerings were still there and mostly stocked.

Though it was a mess. Few TV series sets; mostly movies.

I did however find S7 of "The Vampire Diaries". *happy panda face*

It was handled with care. No dents and all the discs are mint.

While there I picked up, "Victor Frankenstein", "London Has Fallen" (no slipcover) and "The Man From UNCLE" (movie not series); these too are mint.

Which was paid by plastic, so there goes my planning. But it wasn't much, so I'm fine.

Saw no seasons of "Turn" or "Twilight Zone" S1 at any of the three stores.
Congrats on TVD! Glad you're caught up, and that the perseverance paid off. And in regards to the other three titles. And it's not really BF unless you charge something.

Hopefully you'll see another deal on Turn or Twilight one, lots of Holiday sales still to be had. I'm hopeful more titles will appear in the next few weeks, like Community S6 or Halt and Catch Fire. We'll see.
Old 11-28-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I didn't see Pretty Little Liars season 6 for $10 anywhere. I'm usually pretty keen on keeping track of it going down in price. Not that I plan to watch it anytime soon. I saw it as it aired.

I see Strapped for Cash mentioned he got it at Amazon for $10. It's currently $29 there, but from a 3rd party seller. Guessing the Amazon inventory sold out?
Old 11-28-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I didn't see Pretty Little Liars season 6 for $10 anywhere. I'm usually pretty keen on keeping track of it going down in price. Not that I plan to watch it anytime soon. I saw it as it aired.

I see Strapped for Cash mentioned he got it at Amazon for $10. It's currently $29 there, but from a 3rd party seller. Guessing the Amazon inventory sold out?
Sorry to hear that you missed it at Amazon. It was $10 for at least a few hours on Thursday. I bought it at 3:01PM PST. Not a part of any Lightning Deal.

I definitely saw it in the Target BF shippers. Not the pre-BF, but the ones that were up for Thursday. I think I saw it at one of the WM shippers, and if I did then some stores might still have them in-stock for $9.96, but I honestly don't recall for certain. Sorry.
Old 11-28-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
WM online Wednesday night for pickup next week

The 100 Season 3 $6.96
So... I'd not read this thread and had no idea WM had this online. I was a bit miffed as it's been in my Amazon cart for *months* with no budge on the ~$25 or higher price tag. Then tonight my daughter came in to pick up the kids and asked if I wanted to go to WM with her. Since I had a few things we needed I went and, or course, look for the BF DVD/BR display to see if by some wild chance they still had a copy of "The 100" S3. After wandering around a bit I gave up and on the way out saw it in front of some registers. Sitting right on top I could see the side of a case "The 100" - of course I thought it'd be S1 or S2 (which I purchased last year for a song) and walk up to the display to find it was S3! I snagged it and looked through the display to see if there were any other treasures. Nope... and no other copies of "The 100" S3 either. Yeah... I'm glad I went. It's the *only* BF purchase I made at WM this year, all thanks to your post!
Old 11-29-16, 01:20 AM

I'm hopeful more titles will appear in the next few weeks, like Community S6 or Halt and Catch Fire. We'll see.
That would be sway. Will pick up S3 of HCF when it streets, good show.

- - -

Nope... and no other copies of "The 100" S3 either. Yeah... I'm glad I went. It's the *only* BF purchase I made at WM this year, all thanks to your post!
Which is why I love this place. A great resource for collectors'.
Old 11-29-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Ended up placing a small order on the dd sale (there Grapevine prices were unreal; still very good even w/o the 15%):

Benefit
Jethro Tull
CD
$15.54
$15.54
Point Blank/ Second Season [Import]
Point Blank
CD
$9.59
$9.59
Silent Command (1923)
DVD
$8.11
$8.11
Subtotal
Promo Code: CYBER15
Standard Shipping
Total

15%

$33.24
($4.99)
$0.00
$28.25
Old 11-30-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
So... I'd not read this thread and had no idea WM had this online. I was a bit miffed as it's been in my Amazon cart for *months* with no budge on the ~$25 or higher price tag. Then tonight my daughter came in to pick up the kids and asked if I wanted to go to WM with her. Since I had a few things we needed I went and, or course, look for the BF DVD/BR display to see if by some wild chance they still had a copy of "The 100" S3. After wandering around a bit I gave up and on the way out saw it in front of some registers. Sitting right on top I could see the side of a case "The 100" - of course I thought it'd be S1 or S2 (which I purchased last year for a song) and walk up to the display to find it was S3! I snagged it and looked through the display to see if there were any other treasures. Nope... and no other copies of "The 100" S3 either. Yeah... I'm glad I went. It's the *only* BF purchase I made at WM this year, all thanks to your post!
You're very welcome BobO'Link, and thanks very much for posting your story. Congrats on scoring it so easily.

Which is why I love this place. A great resource for collectors'.
Yeah. Though it helps the more people we have, and who post. I'm glad to keep it up, but it would be great if we had more members doing so too. At least more people seem to be checking in now.