Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Video Liquidation Sale (All Stores Closing)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dish Network (owners of Blockbuster Video) announced on Wednesday, 11/06/13 that all stores will be closing. All DVD's in their stores will be liquidated, the price per DVD hasn't been disclosed. The liquidation sale starts Friday, 11/15/13 at 10 am when the stores open. DVD's are sold as-is, so no returns are allowed for defective discs.
Old 11-07-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Video Liquidation Sale (All Stores Closing)

Wondering what might turn up here at the mother of all going out of business sales. The problem is they've been closing other stores steadily and have already sold off a lot. I heard when the stores got rid of VHS they were intentionally destroyed, so no hope of finding any of those. Would like to get some training videos or stuff made for in-store play. One closing store I went to had one of those 'motivational' posters from the office in a cracked frame, thought that was pretty funny.
Old 11-07-13, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did they say the sale starts November 15th ? From what I read, it was supposed to be in January.
Old 11-07-13, 07:27 PM

The liquidation sale starts Nov 15 and will run till January. The article only states that they are liquidating. I went to 2 Blockbuster stores and they both indicated the same start/end dates from the information the home office sent to them.
Old 11-07-13, 09:29 PM

Anyone out there from the Mass/RI area know of any leftover stores. I knew of a few that closed down in the first wave of closings, but don't know if there's still any close by.
Old 11-08-13, 01:11 AM
Banned

Any idea of what the prices will be ?
Old 11-08-13, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
Anyone out there from the Mass/RI area know of any leftover stores. I knew of a few that closed down in the first wave of closings, but don't know if there's still any close by.
Try blockbuster.com and use store locator.
Old 11-08-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually think there are no more stores left in New England.
Old 11-08-13, 09:47 AM

I called 3 stores. 2 were starting the liquidation sale Friday, 11/15 and the other one was starting Thursday, 11/14. So call the store you are going to, to find out when they are starting the sale. You know that after the first day, most of the good movies are sold and there's a lot of crap left on the shelves.
Old 11-08-13, 12:21 PM

It's ironic that the two DVD sources where I spent the most money 3-4 years ago and earlier are both basically irrelevant today. Deep Discount exists, but for me is pretty much a non-starter; no deep discounts anymore really. (I've made 2 small orders in 2 years, about $60 worth. Used to be $400-500 a year.) And Blockbuster was a great source of used DVDs. Now TOTALLY kaput.
Old 11-08-13, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by conscience
Try blockbuster.com and use store locator.
Yeah, I tried that, and it shows stores still around that aren't, and tried numbers with no connections. That is why I asked here to see if anyone has actually physically seen a location still up and running.
Old 11-09-13, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
Yeah, I tried that, and it shows stores still around that aren't, and tried numbers with no connections. That is why I asked here to see if anyone has actually physically seen a location still up and running.
I'm in Minneapolis and know of 1 surviving (but not for long) store (Hennepin Av.). There might be a few more out in the burbs; don't know or care. There used to be 10 Blockbusters in my circuit, of which 1 survived the first Dish Network closings.
Old 11-09-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Out here (Wa state) so far the Blockbuster going under sales of the last couple years haven't been all that great. Prices are often cheaper on the net.
Old 11-09-13, 01:28 PM

When the stores closed here in Canada, they started everything at 30% off, then 50%, then 70% in the last couple of days.
Old 11-12-13, 12:26 PM

Currently, all of the Blockbusters are closed to the public so they can put price tags on all their movies. They will reopen Thursday morning at 10 am to start the liquidation sale.
Old 11-12-13, 05:04 PM

Why would anyone want to purchase used DVD's AS IS when much of their inventory has been abused by the ravages of many renters using them as frisbees. I suppose one could buff out superficial scratches but deep gashes would be hopeless.
Old 11-12-13, 06:33 PM

I agree that a lot of their movies are in bad shape. The liquidation sale is an as-is with a no return policy, so before I give them any money, I will look at each movie at the register first to ensure that the movie stands somewhat of a chance to play successfully.
Old 11-13-13, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I could be wrong, but I thought companies were legally required to allow returns of defective merchandise?
Old 11-13-13, 09:50 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
I'm in Minneapolis and know of 1 surviving (but not for long) store (Hennepin Av.). There might be a few more out in the burbs; don't know or care. There used to be 10 Blockbusters in my circuit, of which 1 survived the first Dish Network closings.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-13-13, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by smartalec44
Why would anyone want to purchase used DVD's AS IS when much of their inventory has been abused by the ravages of many renters using them as frisbees. I suppose one could buff out superficial scratches but deep gashes would be hopeless.
I've bought hundreds of used DVDs from Blockbuster and it's simply a matter of rejecting the beat up ones, and selecting the clean/cleaner ones. Sometimes I'd look through four or five copies before finding a good one. I haven't bought from them in nearly two years, but I miss some of their deals.
Old 11-14-13, 10:51 AM

This liquidation sale is a RIP-OFF and a JOKE. When Blockbuster had the 25% off sale before the liquidation sale, movies that were $9.99 and $12.99 each where then reduced by the 25% off sale. Now they're having the liquidation sale and the movies are 30% off. But wait, here's the rip-off and joke. Movies that they sold for $9.99 and $12.99 before the liquidation sale are selling for $9.99 and $12.99 each after the 30% is applied. How can this be you ask? We'll for the 30% off liquidation sale, Blockbuster raised the prices..... So the $9.99 movie before the sale was raised to $12.99 and with the 30% they're selling it for $9.99. The $12.99 movie before the sale was raised to $16.99 and with the 30% they're selling it for $12.99. The prices were cheaper when they just had the regular 25% off sale before the liquidation began. This is just like going to Blockbuster before any sale and paying whatever the sticker said. Empty DVD and BR cases that Blockbuster gave to you for free if you asked them, are now selling for 5 for a dollar. Save your time and gas and just let Blockbuster die.
Old 11-14-13, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Any idea of what the prices will be ?
Somebody posted a discount schedule in the BD forum.

Unless you happen to find an OOP or hard-to-find foreign or cult title, don't bother for now.
Old 11-15-13, 09:47 AM

Easy A dvd for $1.99