DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/612906-search-complete-series-%2459-95-shipped.html)

hurricane 08-20-13 01:59 PM

In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Rakuten (formerly Buy.com) has the "In Search Of-Complete Series" dvd set on sale for $59.99 with free budget shipping.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/in-searc...248806604.html

JackBurton 08-20-13 02:12 PM

Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Great price for those interested that don't already have it. I paid nearly twice that.

g 08-20-13 02:21 PM

You should only checkout with paypal there. Some security issues there.

BKenn01 08-20-13 04:15 PM

They have it for the same price in their eBay store if it makes you feel better to purchase there.

PhantomStranger 08-21-13 12:10 AM

Definitely avoid using a credit card on Rakuten. Check out with Paypal. As for the set itself, I paid around $80 for it upon release. The picture quality is little better than VHS at times, but it is nice to have every episode in one collection. The box is nice and sturdy.

Josh-da-man 08-21-13 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11805530)
The picture quality is little better than VHS at times, but it is nice to have every episode in one collection.

That's probably as good as it's ever going to look. It's from the late 70s/early 80s so it was probably edited on video, and even, with the nature of the program it's probably a mish-mash of elements of varying quality (interviews, re-enactments, stock footage, outdoor shoots, etc).

Manzana 08-21-13 05:53 AM

Sold out. If it has Spock in it, it must be good, right?

PhantomStranger 08-21-13 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 11805619)
Sold out. If it has Spock in it, it must be good, right?

Imagine the X-Files as a docudrama with Leonard Nimoy as host.

Manzana 08-22-13 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11806292)
Imagine the X-Files as a docudrama with Leonard Nimoy as host.

We almost got that with The Simpsons X-Files episode (The Springfield Files) where Leonard Nimoy was the host.

DJariya 08-22-13 12:50 PM

This was sort of the pre-cursor to the NBC show Unsolved Mysteries.

Man, it sucks that Bob Stack is no longer with us. He had one of the best narration voices.

As for In Search Of, it's horrendously dated, but I'm interested in re-visiting it.

PhantomStranger 08-22-13 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11807403)
As for In Search Of, it's horrendously dated, but I'm interested in re-visiting it.

It's still fairly entertaining, as I watched the series in the past year and hadn't seen it since the mid-90s. So many mystery series and docudramas from the '80s and '90s ripped off concepts from this show.

smurr05 08-22-13 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11805530)
Definitely avoid using a credit card on Rakuten. Check out with Paypal. As for the set itself, I paid around $80 for it upon release. The picture quality is little better than VHS at times, but it is nice to have every episode in one collection. The box is nice and sturdy.

Agreed across the board. Paid about the same for it and am satisfied with my purchase!!! Now VEI bring on "The Mod Squad" coming this fall!:D

SterlingBen 02-28-14 11:03 PM

Same price at Amazon right now.

Spiderbite 02-03-16 08:09 AM

FYI: Amazon has this complete set priced at $39.99 and it has been this price for a couple of weeks. I get the feeling that VEI is burning off the excess stock of this complete series set as the newer sets are missing the Rod Serling specials and the extra season that didn't have Leonard Nimoy.

So if you want the true complete set for a good price, you may want to pick this up. I had been sitting on the fence for awhile but went ahead and ordered a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Complet...s=in+search+of

Trevor 02-03-16 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12713817)
FYI: Amazon has this complete set priced at $39.99 and it has been this price for a couple of weeks. I get the feeling that VEI is burning off the excess stock of this complete series set as the newer sets are missing the Rod Serling specials and the extra season that didn't have Leonard Nimoy.

So if you want the true complete set for a good price, you may want to pick this up. I had been sitting on the fence for awhile but went ahead and ordered a copy.

So hard to resist at that price. I pretty much know I'll never watch it all, and if I do I'll be disappointed that current research has probably solved most of the mysteries; but the nostalgic kid in me wants this badly. Loved the series back in the day, loved Nimoy, love conspiracies and monsters, love the price per episode!

Spiderbite 02-03-16 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12713843)
So hard to resist at that price. I pretty much know I'll never watch it all, and if I do I'll be disappointed that current research has probably solved most of the mysteries; but the nostalgic kid in me wants this badly. Loved the series back in the day, loved Nimoy, love conspiracies and monsters, love the price per episode!

I was in the same boat. But even if I watched half of it, it would be worth the price. Plus, I know if I picked it up later and this version is gone and you can only get the Nimoy episodes, it would big the shit out of me knowing there was a more complete set that I could have picked up. Mild OCD but whatever. :)

Trevor 02-03-16 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12713865)
I was in the same boat. But even if I watched half of it, it would be worth the price. Plus, I know if I picked it up later and this version is gone and you can only get the Nimoy episodes, it would big the shit out of me knowing there was a more complete set that I could have picked up. Mild OCD but whatever. :)

I have a solution! You watch half then send it to me to watch the other half.

Spiderbite 02-03-16 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12713912)
I have a solution! You watch half then send it to me to watch the other half.

:up:

That'sAllFolks 02-03-16 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12713817)

I finally bought this around the end of last year for the same price. I was bummed that this had dropped to 42.99 around BF 2014 and I didn't pick it up .. at least until this year ;). Alot of the VEI sets been fluctuating between 40-45. I'll probably pick up McMillian and Wife when it drops back down to 40.

I;ve watched a couple of episodes and it's OK. It does have a nostalgic factor to it and it is a good price for a complete series, so I'm content.

PhantomStranger 02-03-16 12:27 PM

If one likes In Search Of, definitely check out the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. A vaguely similar show, though I don't think the editing or storytelling are done as well in it.

BobO'Link 02-03-16 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12714116)
If one likes In Search Of, definitely check out the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. A vaguely similar show, though I don't think the editing or storytelling are done as well in it.

There also seems to be a lot of topic duplication between those sets. In spite of that, both are highly entertaining and well worth having in your collection.

Here's the Amazon link to the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. It's currently going for $16.99.

Spiderbite 02-03-16 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12714116)

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 12714162)
There also seems to be a lot of topic duplication between those sets. In spite of that, both are highly entertaining and well worth having in your collection.

Here's the Amazon link to the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. It's currently going for $16.99.

Cool. Thanks for the recommendation!