Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Old 08-20-13, 01:59 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 569
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Rakuten (formerly Buy.com) has the "In Search Of-Complete Series" dvd set on sale for $59.99 with free budget shipping.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/in-searc...248806604.html
Old 08-20-13, 02:12 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
JackBurton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Great price for those interested that don't already have it. I paid nearly twice that.
Old 08-20-13, 02:21 PM
  #3  
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,197
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

You should only checkout with paypal there. Some security issues there.
Old 08-20-13, 04:15 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
BKenn01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Big Blue Nation!
Posts: 4,496
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

They have it for the same price in their eBay store if it makes you feel better to purchase there.
Old 08-21-13, 12:10 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,069
Received 209 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Definitely avoid using a credit card on Rakuten. Check out with Paypal. As for the set itself, I paid around $80 for it upon release. The picture quality is little better than VHS at times, but it is nice to have every episode in one collection. The box is nice and sturdy.
Old 08-21-13, 02:53 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 35,089
Received 497 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The picture quality is little better than VHS at times, but it is nice to have every episode in one collection.
That's probably as good as it's ever going to look. It's from the late 70s/early 80s so it was probably edited on video, and even, with the nature of the program it's probably a mish-mash of elements of varying quality (interviews, re-enactments, stock footage, outdoor shoots, etc).
Old 08-21-13, 05:53 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Sold out. If it has Spock in it, it must be good, right?
Old 08-21-13, 02:07 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,069
Received 209 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Sold out. If it has Spock in it, it must be good, right?
Imagine the X-Files as a docudrama with Leonard Nimoy as host.
Old 08-22-13, 12:27 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Imagine the X-Files as a docudrama with Leonard Nimoy as host.
We almost got that with The Simpsons X-Files episode (The Springfield Files) where Leonard Nimoy was the host.
Old 08-22-13, 12:50 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 63,875
Received 767 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

This was sort of the pre-cursor to the NBC show Unsolved Mysteries.

Man, it sucks that Bob Stack is no longer with us. He had one of the best narration voices.

As for In Search Of, it's horrendously dated, but I'm interested in re-visiting it.
Old 08-22-13, 02:13 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,069
Received 209 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
As for In Search Of, it's horrendously dated, but I'm interested in re-visiting it.
It's still fairly entertaining, as I watched the series in the past year and hadn't seen it since the mid-90s. So many mystery series and docudramas from the '80s and '90s ripped off concepts from this show.
Old 08-22-13, 03:31 PM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Myers, fl.
Posts: 5,393
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Definitely avoid using a credit card on Rakuten. Check out with Paypal. As for the set itself, I paid around $80 for it upon release. The picture quality is little better than VHS at times, but it is nice to have every episode in one collection. The box is nice and sturdy.
Agreed across the board. Paid about the same for it and am satisfied with my purchase!!! Now VEI bring on "The Mod Squad" coming this fall!
Old 02-28-14, 11:03 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,299
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Same price at Amazon right now.
Old 02-03-16, 08:09 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,923
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

FYI: Amazon has this complete set priced at $39.99 and it has been this price for a couple of weeks. I get the feeling that VEI is burning off the excess stock of this complete series set as the newer sets are missing the Rod Serling specials and the extra season that didn't have Leonard Nimoy.

So if you want the true complete set for a good price, you may want to pick this up. I had been sitting on the fence for awhile but went ahead and ordered a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Complet...s=in+search+of
Old 02-03-16, 08:41 AM
  #15  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 35,553
Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
FYI: Amazon has this complete set priced at $39.99 and it has been this price for a couple of weeks. I get the feeling that VEI is burning off the excess stock of this complete series set as the newer sets are missing the Rod Serling specials and the extra season that didn't have Leonard Nimoy.

So if you want the true complete set for a good price, you may want to pick this up. I had been sitting on the fence for awhile but went ahead and ordered a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Complet...s=in+search+of
So hard to resist at that price. I pretty much know I'll never watch it all, and if I do I'll be disappointed that current research has probably solved most of the mysteries; but the nostalgic kid in me wants this badly. Loved the series back in the day, loved Nimoy, love conspiracies and monsters, love the price per episode!
Old 02-03-16, 09:04 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,923
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
So hard to resist at that price. I pretty much know I'll never watch it all, and if I do I'll be disappointed that current research has probably solved most of the mysteries; but the nostalgic kid in me wants this badly. Loved the series back in the day, loved Nimoy, love conspiracies and monsters, love the price per episode!
I was in the same boat. But even if I watched half of it, it would be worth the price. Plus, I know if I picked it up later and this version is gone and you can only get the Nimoy episodes, it would big the shit out of me knowing there was a more complete set that I could have picked up. Mild OCD but whatever.
Old 02-03-16, 09:43 AM
  #17  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 35,553
Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I was in the same boat. But even if I watched half of it, it would be worth the price. Plus, I know if I picked it up later and this version is gone and you can only get the Nimoy episodes, it would big the shit out of me knowing there was a more complete set that I could have picked up. Mild OCD but whatever.
I have a solution! You watch half then send it to me to watch the other half.
Old 02-03-16, 09:56 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,923
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I have a solution! You watch half then send it to me to watch the other half.
Old 02-03-16, 12:09 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
FYI: Amazon has this complete set priced at $39.99 and it has been this price for a couple of weeks. I get the feeling that VEI is burning off the excess stock of this complete series set as the newer sets are missing the Rod Serling specials and the extra season that didn't have Leonard Nimoy.

So if you want the true complete set for a good price, you may want to pick this up. I had been sitting on the fence for awhile but went ahead and ordered a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Complet...s=in+search+of
I finally bought this around the end of last year for the same price. I was bummed that this had dropped to 42.99 around BF 2014 and I didn't pick it up .. at least until this year . Alot of the VEI sets been fluctuating between 40-45. I'll probably pick up McMillian and Wife when it drops back down to 40.

I;ve watched a couple of episodes and it's OK. It does have a nostalgic factor to it and it is a good price for a complete series, so I'm content.
Old 02-03-16, 12:27 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,069
Received 209 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

If one likes In Search Of, definitely check out the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. A vaguely similar show, though I don't think the editing or storytelling are done as well in it.
Old 02-03-16, 01:16 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,604
Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
If one likes In Search Of, definitely check out the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. A vaguely similar show, though I don't think the editing or storytelling are done as well in it.
There also seems to be a lot of topic duplication between those sets. In spite of that, both are highly entertaining and well worth having in your collection.

Here's the Amazon link to the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. It's currently going for $16.99.
Old 02-03-16, 01:21 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,923
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: In Search Of Complete Series $59.95 shipped

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
If one likes In Search Of, definitely check out the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. A vaguely similar show, though I don't think the editing or storytelling are done as well in it.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
There also seems to be a lot of topic duplication between those sets. In spite of that, both are highly entertaining and well worth having in your collection.

Here's the Amazon link to the Arthur C. Clarke Collection. It's currently going for $16.99.
Cool. Thanks for the recommendation!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.