DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

Old 02-02-16, 10:59 PM

Re: Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

Good grief! Are they going to cycle through their entire singles catalog? If so, I'm ready. So far I've racked up 45 titles from this sale. Almost as much fun as the old Deep Discount DVD semi-annual sales.

On a personal note: I have lurked on this site for at least twelve years. I thought I should finally join if for no other reason than to thank the many of you who have provided so much great information over the years. I don't mean to slight anyone, but a special thank you, with respect to this thread, to Brian T, That'sAllFolks, Professor Echo and MooX4. Everyone here seems to not only love movies, but enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of collecting as well. And, unlike some of the posters on "another" site, you folks don't seem to be afflicted with hi-def snobbery. A very friendly, adult crowd. Thanks much!
Old 02-02-16, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Russ, welcome!
Old 02-03-16, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome, Russ and thanks for the shout out.

There used to be trolls aplenty on DVDTalk, but they never had much use for this thread, which I started back in the day to corral all of the fans of "poverty row" DVD labels. Also, finding out accurate, useful information for virtually unknown and forgotten titles and especially public domain films on DVD can be a huge swamp, so I too am very grateful for all the information that people have shared here.

I agree with you about the HD snobs who would never consider anything from the likes of Alpha, but I know there are plenty of us who have had great times unearthing buried gems from such small DVD labels and love that our tastes in film run beyond all the pedigreed classics and constantly exploding spectaculars.
Old 02-03-16, 09:35 AM

I want to second what Russ and Professor Echo both said.

Within the past couple years, I've really become a fan of the Poverty Row studios/producers like Monogram and Robert Lippert. Even with a limited budget, they turned out entertaining films that folks like us can still enjoy and appreciate more than a half century later. Thanks to VCI, Warner Archive, Alpha among others , we have probably the best access to these films than ever before.

I don't worry about the video/audio quality so much, as long as it's watchable. Many of these titles were not shot the best to start with and I don't think a Blu-ray release would make them too much better. I prefer a lower price point where I can purchase more of them as oppose to a negligible quality difference.

To get back to the actual Bargain Bin sale, if you enjoy westerns, I highly recommend Little Big Horn with Lloyd Bridges (I think VCI had the double feature with this and Rimfire in the bin at one time, but it's just LBH now). Also, I've just bought two other westerns from the sale, Hellgate with Sterling Hayden and Panhandle with Rod Cameron. Haven't had time to watch these yet, but they're well-reviewed by Western enthusiasts.

Anyway, thanks to all those who contribute to this thread and sharing your information.
Old 02-03-16, 04:37 PM

I do have a problem with Alpha's frequent low quality & some of the other ultra budget labels, but am usually fairly happy with VCI & really happy with (now mostly oop) Roan's
Old 02-03-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
Almost everything that interested me was a MOD. Does anyone know if Return Of Chandu is a significant upgrade from the Alpha?
I don't have personal experience with this title but *did* research it a bit as it's a title I'd like to pick up. Several Amazon "reviews" indicate it's pretty much the same and I recall one saying the VCI is slightly better and another saying both are pretty bad. Since the VCI one is MOD I'm leaning towards a pressed Alpha. At least I hope it's pressed - they've gone MOD with some of their titles too, but Amazon's listing for the V1/V2 combo pack doesn't say DVD-R. Still, that may not be a good indicator for these as I don't think Amazon's partnered with Alpha yet for their createspace MOD program.

Here's the best Amazon review:
VCI's # 8386, on a double-layer disc, has the best image quality of the available DVD's, fairly sharp, well-framed and with decent gray scale, but in addtion to the print having a lot of scratches and related defects, there are many small pieces missing, often disrupting the dialogue, and a few larger breaks. A couple chapters run about a minute shorter than they should, and there is no title on Chapter One. In addition to the faults of the print, the opening credits have been "enhanced" by freezing the images after the puff of smoke used as a transition between sets of credits; the stopping and starting of the film is both obvious and annoying. VCI has better sound than the others, with fairly good high-frequency response, but a number of clicks and "pops" are heard, some quite loud, that could have been avoided. A couple chapters have the header with the MPPDA certificate numbers, entertainingly low in the 200's. Unfortunately one of these was attatched to the wrong chapter. The "next week" titles are present, but again with a freeze-frame image. VCI includes some "extra" features, with "Bios" of Bela Lugosi, Ray Taylor and rather meager information on Maria Alba. There are trailers for "Undersea Kingdom," "Tex Granger" and "Congo Bill" plus the "VCI Cliffhanger Promo" having short clips from several trailers of serials available from VCI. But at the end of the "Undersea Kingdom" trailer, the player goes into "stop" mode instead of returning to the menu, and it has to be restarted from the beginning of the disc, including the FBI warning and VCI's introduction.

Alpha's edition is on two single-layer DVD's, catalog numbers ALP 4062D and 4063D, or shrink-wrapped as 9544D. It was first released in 2002, and is free from the logo that Alpha puts in the titles of their more recent releases. Sharpness and gray scale are adequate, if worse than VCI's, but there are fewer scratches and no still-frame "enhancement" of the titles. Total running time is a little over 210 minutes and the dialogue has only a few interruptions due to splices. The sound is muffled, to the point where boosting the treble can't bring back the high frequencies, and while this makes the distortion and noise less obvious, it often makes the dialogue hard to understand. Chapter 3 has a considerable amount of low-frequency noise, a crackle loud enough to be annoying, and a couple spots where the sound almost goes away. Close to one of these points there is a short repeated section of the film as the evil high priest Vindhyan attempts to abduct Nadji. Framing of the image isn't as good as VCI's, and a couple chapters are missing the "next week" titles, but most of the introductory text and credits can be read. For those tolerant of mediocre image quality it is in some ways easier-to-watch than VCI's edition.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 02-03-16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 09:07 PM

Thanks! I was concerned that with VCI's now being burned, it's probably single layer. I also don't know of ANY decent dual layer blanks on the market at this time. When I need one, I just split the content into 2 single layer discs.
Old 02-04-16, 12:51 AM

A couple quick comments on "The Star & The Story": I'm largely happy with it. It's a spin off of Ida Lupino's Four Star Playhouse. I collect those & wish someone like Critrerion would do a box of the entire series.

The good: in most cases, these are the best prints of 4ST I've ever seen, & I only already had one of the episodes.

The not as good: a few episodes had somewhat jerky motion.

The weird: I've never seen this before, but the dvd was authored really strangely. Pushing play all caused it to do a random shuffle of episodes, including repeating some. I THINK I saw all 10!

The irritating: They used the name "Peter Lorre" both in the advertising on the website & on the back of the case; but he is nowhere to be found on the disc.

Still for $4, it's ok; I'm only posting because of the weirdness!
Old 02-04-16, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I don't have personal experience with this title but *did* research it a bit as it's a title I'd like to pick up. Several Amazon "reviews" indicate it's pretty much the same and I recall one saying the VCI is slightly better and another saying both are pretty bad. Since the VCI one is MOD I'm leaning towards a pressed Alpha. At least I hope it's pressed - they've gone MOD with some of their titles too, but Amazon's listing for the V1/V2 combo pack doesn't say DVD-R. Still, that may not be a good indicator for these as I don't think Amazon's partnered with Alpha yet for their createspace MOD program.
Watch out with Alpha if you're buying a brand new copy of any of their releases as they have gone exclusively burned on EVERYTHING. You may luck out and get a pressed copy if you buy used, but new it will all depend on if the seller has old stock left.

This is a really lousy situation with some labels now, like Alpha, Roan and Image who have gone the MOD route, but give no indication of it anywhere on Amazon or other sites. I almost always buy these labels used, but even then you're taking a chance as many sellers will not respond to emails asking for details about what their selling. I wouldn't trust any burned media from Alpha and there are plenty of negative reviews on Amazon to back that up.
Old 02-04-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Russ44 View Post
Everyone here seems to not only love movies, but enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of collecting as well. And, unlike some of the posters on "another" site, you folks don't seem to be afflicted with hi-def snobbery. A very friendly, adult crowd. Thanks much!
Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
I agree with you about the HD snobs who would never consider anything from the likes of Alpha, but I know there are plenty of us who have had great times unearthing buried gems from such small DVD labels and love that our tastes in film run beyond all the pedigreed classics and constantly exploding spectaculars.
Originally Posted by redcon1 View Post
I don't worry about the video/audio quality so much, as long as it's watchable. Many of these titles were not shot the best to start with and I don't think a Blu-ray release would make them too much better. I prefer a lower price point where I can purchase more of them as oppose to a negligible quality difference.

Not sure whether to call what goes on at "another" site snobbery or borderline infantilism, but I do know it's not the place to be if you really enjoy the full breadth of cinema history, from regional curiosities to poverty row gems right up to the blockbusters, arthouse and/or international films of today, and particularly on any or all formats on which you can find them. Then again, the very name of said site has pretty much limited the scope of discussion since day one (in that sense, the same could be true of this one, I suppose, but there at least seems to be a higher number of articulate people herein). The lack of much to say there probably explains the excessive use of emoticons.

I can sort of understand wanting unexpurgated cuts of all the best movies ever made from anywhere, presented in absolutely pristine A/V picture quality, with the most complete supplements and absolutely perfectly translated subtitles wherever possible, but the never-ending hunt to find these magical creatures, buying your way through every new format -- legal or otherwise -- or racing to be the first to have inconsequential bragging rights about having scored some "authentic" edition seems to obsess certain types to such a degree that they're presumably overlooking huge swaths of cinema history. Often, if they write reviews, there's a unmistakable ignorance of context on display that stops me reading a couple of paragraphs in and skipping to see if they mention what special features might be included.

Originally Posted by redcon1 View Post
Within the past couple years, I've really become a fan of the Poverty Row studios/producers like Monogram and Robert Lippert. Even with a limited budget, they turned out entertaining films that folks like us can still enjoy and appreciate more than a half century later. Thanks to VCI, Warner Archive, Alpha among others , we have probably the best access to these films than ever before.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Since the VCI one is MOD I'm leaning towards a pressed Alpha. At least I hope it's pressed - they've gone MOD with some of their titles too, but Amazon's listing for the V1/V2 combo pack doesn't say DVD-R. Still, that may not be a good indicator for these as I don't think Amazon's partnered with Alpha yet for their createspace MOD program.
Watch out with Alpha if you're buying a brand new copy of any of their releases as they have gone exclusively burned on EVERYTHING. You may luck out and get a pressed copy if you buy used, but new it will all depend on if the seller has old stock left.

This is a really lousy situation with some labels now, like Alpha, Roan and Image who have gone the MOD route, but give no indication of it anywhere on Amazon or other sites. I almost always buy these labels used, but even then you're taking a chance as many sellers will not respond to emails asking for details about what their selling. I wouldn't trust any burned media from Alpha and there are plenty of negative reviews on Amazon to back that up.

I'm only modestly dismayed at these lower-end companies (and some higher-end ones) going MOD, though, because as someone who still hunts down Hong Kong VCDs () I can't really complain, because without them you simply can't fully understand the full scope of that city's rich cinematic history, and likewise without some of the MOD discs, it's hard to do the same for American cinema. And at the end of the day, for me it's about seeing as much stuff as possible in this lifetime, not hunting down immaculate presentations on the best formats of far better-known films. (incidentally, the VCD format is very much still in production over there, but it's the older, arguably lesser films that were only ever released on it that are the real treasures whenever I find them. And there were a lot of 'em.). Frankly, there are times I wish I still had an LD player when I see what people on a couple of Facebook collector groups have uncovered in their travels (like VCD, a lot of HK films were ONLY released on LD when it was a thing). All that said, it's amusing when pedants at "other" sites go apeshit because they "discover" a fan-subbed, uncut Blu-ray of some film or another.

Never thought I'd see the day when pressed Alpha DVDs would become prized collector's items, but I have to wonder if we'll get there sooner than later if they've gone all-MOD now. Certainly this discussion has me thinking I made the right (if still a bit costly) decision to grab a lot of VCI's pressed singles in this sale. It's highly likely they'll all be replaced with MODs as time goes on, possibly even in the collection sets once those run out, if an earlier comment about a serial collection being that way is any indication.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-04-16 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-04-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the heads-up! I knew they were going MOD when pressed copies ran out and for new releases but didn't think it'd gotten quite that bad yet. Bummer. Considering how little their pressed discs sell for I just don't see how MOD benefits them at all. If anything I'd think it'd be a bit more costly to make MODs than pressed - not much, mind you, but enough to effect their bottom line negatively, unless, of course, they raise their prices to compensate. We know that's not out of the question as that's exactly what WB has done, going so far as to take titles OOP and then re-release them as MOD for 2-4 times the price of the formerly pressed versions.
Old 02-04-16, 01:55 PM

Speaking of MOD, I received an newsletter from Flicker Alley last week announcing a couple of upcoming titles in a new Blu-ray MOD program (to augment their fast-growing MOD DVD catalog), and as far as I can tell they're referring to burned BD-Rs. Knowing that most of the Warner Archive Blu-rays so far have been pressed, I do get a bit leery when I see news like this, and whether it will catch on with the bigger players eventually. Seems inevitable, really. For the time being, I think Flicker Alley still intends to release premium content on pressed DVDs and Blu-rays, but you've got to wonder if those, too, will eventually go OOP in favour of the made-on-demand model.
Old 02-04-16, 05:24 PM

Roan is Lloyd what's his name's greed. He has destroyed a once great label, imo. At least Cary Roan is doing a little work for other labels (White Zombie & a couple others).

Really bites about Image; I used to hold them in pretty high regard (just below Kino).
Old 02-04-16, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Not sure whether to call what goes on at "another" site snobbery or borderline infantilism, but I do know it's not the place to be if you really enjoy the full breadth of cinema history, from regional curiosities to poverty row gems right up to the blockbusters, arthouse and/or international films of today, and particularly on any or all formats on which you can find them. Then again, the very name of said site has pretty much limited the scope of discussion since day one (in that sense, the same could be true of this one, I suppose, but there at least seems to be a higher number of articulate people herein). The lack of much to say there probably explains the excessive use of emoticons.

I can sort of understand wanting unexpurgated cuts of all the best movies ever made from anywhere, presented in absolutely pristine A/V picture quality, with the most complete supplements and absolutely perfectly translated subtitles wherever possible, but the never-ending hunt to find these magical creatures, buying your way through every new format -- legal or otherwise -- or racing to be the first to have inconsequential bragging rights about having scored some "authentic" edition seems to obsess certain types to such a degree that they're presumably overlooking huge swaths of cinema history. Often, if they write reviews, there's a unmistakable ignorance of context on display that stops me reading a couple of paragraphs in and skipping to see if they mention what special features might be included.

I'm only modestly dismayed at these lower-end companies (and some higher-end ones) going MOD, though, because as someone who still hunts down Hong Kong VCDs () I can't really complain, because without them you simply can't fully understand the full scope of that city's rich cinematic history, and likewise without some of the MOD discs, it's hard to do the same for American cinema. And at the end of the day, for me it's about seeing as much stuff as possible in this lifetime, not hunting down immaculate presentations on the best formats of far better-known films. (incidentally, the VCD format is very much still in production over there, but it's the older, arguably lesser films that were only ever released on it that are the real treasures whenever I find them. And there were a lot of 'em.). Frankly, there are times I wish I still had an LD player when I see what people on a couple of Facebook collector groups have uncovered in their travels (like VCD, a lot of HK films were ONLY released on LD when it was a thing). All that said, it's amusing when pedants at "other" sites go apeshit because they "discover" a fan-subbed, uncut Blu-ray of some film or another.

Never thought I'd see the day when pressed Alpha DVDs would become prized collector's items, but I have to wonder if we'll get there sooner than later if they've gone all-MOD now. Certainly this discussion has me thinking I made the right (if still a bit costly) decision to grab a lot of VCI's pressed singles in this sale. It's highly likely they'll all be replaced with MODs as time goes on, possibly even in the collection sets once those run out, if an earlier comment about a serial collection being that way is any indication.
The problem with the MOD's is they often don't last long (especially with cheap media) & a single scratch can ruin a disc.
Old 02-04-16, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Speaking of MOD, I received an newsletter from Flicker Alley last week announcing a couple of upcoming titles in a new Blu-ray MOD program (to augment their fast-growing MOD DVD catalog), and as far as I can tell they're referring to burned BD-Rs. Knowing that most of the Warner Archive Blu-rays so far have been pressed, I do get a bit leery when I see news like this, and whether it will catch on with the bigger players eventually. Seems inevitable, really. For the time being, I think Flicker Alley still intends to release premium content on pressed DVDs and Blu-rays, but you've got to wonder if those, too, will eventually go OOP in favour of the made-on-demand model.
THAT SUCKS (Flicker Alley has up to now been a very hi quality boutique label)
Old 02-04-16, 07:24 PM

This may not be of interest to many of you here, but today's additions to the VCI bargain bin includes three volumes (3, 6 & 7) of the British Carry On series. I know that these films are hardly high-brow entertainment, but the cast always seem to be having a good time and I have a soft spot for that type of humor. But what do I know . . . I still succumb to the subtle charms of The Three Stooges. Also, for those of you who may have missed it before, Best of British Cinema: Trouble In The Sky has made a reappearance after an absence of a week or so.
Old 02-05-16, 08:42 AM

THAT SUCKS (Flicker Alley has up to now been a very hi quality boutique label)
The two titles they've announced for upcoming Blu-rays are Sydney Olcott's TIMOTHY'S QUEST (1922) and POET AND PUBLISHER (which includes ROBERT FROST and A PUBLISHER IS KNOWN BY THE COMPANY HE KEEPS, both 1961). I suspect Flicker Alley will stick with pressed Blu-rays and DVDs of its more high-profile acquisitions, but lesser-known items like these will probably continue to end up relegated to MOD, which is somewhat understandable as they're not likely to be big sellers. Unfortunately, considering their $19.99 U.S. price point on their MOD DVDs -- a price I'll never believe needs to be that high, even for boutique labels -- I can imagine these BD-R's will be likewise be discouragingly priced except during sales (and even then, FA's discounts tend to be around 10% off, as I recall).

On the plus side their upcoming, supplements-laden Blu-rays of the film noir rarities WOMAN ON THE RUN and TOO LATE FOR TEARS will be pressed.
Old 02-05-16, 02:03 PM

I haven't heard anything definitive yet on the life expectancy of burned blu-rays.

As I mentioned above, in my experience cdr's & dvdr's can last anywhere from 0 - 10 years depending on the quality of the disc, quality of the burner, storage conditions, & how well the end user handles them (only touch the outer edges, no pens, no paper sleeves, no scratches).

And it LOOKS LIKE with the CMC purchase of TY, & Verbatim no longer using Japan or UAE for manufacturing there soon may very well be no quality blanks left other then NOS legacy.

I highly recommend backing up any important burned disc to a hard drive &/or a quality flash drive or smart card. In an ideal world one of those backups would be stored in a different location (I don't live in that world, unfortunately!)
Old 02-05-16, 03:10 PM

I got a used Alpha mod today from ebay.

The good: it's a Verb, which I consider one ofthe top 5 or so brands.

The bad: It's a cheap (India? China?) Verb; the error scan is awful.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 02-05-16 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 09:47 PM

I've watched 4 of my VCI films so far, & I'm starting to wish I had just bought the "Forgotten Noirs" & paid the shipping. Of the 4, 1 (The Star & Story) is kind of ok; 2 are awful films (Night Visitor & Hollywood Pre-Code), & 2 have a pretty poor picture (Night Visitor & I Was A Spy).
Old 02-11-16, 06:38 PM

There are 3 recent Alpha titles that interest me. None have reviews on Amazon. I'm wondering if anyone has seen any of these & can comment on the picture quality?

1. A Promise To Murder 1955 Peter Lorre
2. Sting Of Death 1955 Boris Karloff
3. Beauty's Worth 1922 Marion Davies (this APPEARS to be factory pressed)
Old 02-23-16, 12:57 PM

I've watched 4 of my VCI films so far, & I'm starting to wish I had just bought the "Forgotten Noirs" & paid the shipping. Of the 4, 1 (The Star & Story) is kind of ok; 2 are awful films (Night Visitor & Hollywood Pre-Code), & 2 have a pretty poor picture (Night Visitor & I Was A Spy).
I've viewed a few of my VCI Bargain Bin scores and have been quite pleased so far:

BLACK TENT
THE SEEKERS
FERRY TO HONG KONG
ROBBERY UNDER ARMS

All of these are nicely restored, though only BLACK TENT is anamoprhic. FERRY is non-anamorphic widescreen, but still something of a must for those who love Hong Kong (it was entirely shot there). SEEKERS and ROBBERY, both likewise shot on location (though SEEKERS also boasts some lavish Pinewood sets) are 1:37/1:33 respectively, and appear to have been shot that way. Both look excellent. Like just about everything in the VCI catalog, none are absolute classics, but all are above-average programmers shot (for the most part) on locations. SEEKERS gets bonus points for casting actual Maori performers when comparable Hollywood films would definitely have painted up Latinos and Asians on a backlot and just assumed no one would know the difference.

PROMISES....PROMISES!
3 NUTS IN SEARCH OF A BOLT
Prints for both of these are in extremely good shape, though only PROMISES is anamorphic despite VCI's claims on their website that 3 NUTS is the same.

As for MooMoo's problematic titles, I saw VCI's NIGHT VISITOR via the library here last year and indeed the print quality (not so much the transfer) is rather drab, but considering the film's cinematography and locations are so ugly it's kind of a wash, and I'm not sure a better disc is available. I did pick up I WAS A SPY in this sale and skimmed a few scenes based on the comments above, but found it acceptable considering the film's age and its lesser-known status, as well as the unlikelihood of finding a better version anywhere at this point. As mentioned, VCI has very few true "classics" in their catalog, so I'm willing to forgive less-than-perfect prints, transfers and presentations just to see these films and, most likely, flip them, two things this price point makes rather easy. I'd imagine VCI's Rank Film titles probably fare better overall than many of their old drive-in and exploitation titles.

Now to plow through the other 80-some titles I bought. >shudder<

Incidentally, the sale is still on, but the Bargain Bin appears to have settled on 75 titles with no rotation in the past week or two.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-23-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 03:30 PM

I've been working my way through the Noirs (I bought all of them). They tend to be enjoyable (other then the 55 minute shorts about some private detective with every cliche in the books!); I think I need a break, as they're starting too feel like the same movie with slight variations!

I do agree having any print of I Was A Spy is better then nothing; I wish they wouuld have cleaned up the contrast a bit.
Old 03-22-16, 08:12 PM

Oldies.com brought in alot of Legend dvd's; prices vary. Imo on par quality wise with Roan & VCI if not better; Kino uses Legend for the films they colorize; the 2 editions (Kino & Legend) of "She" are VERY similar.
Old 04-18-16, 02:31 PM

VCI launched a 'Tax Refund Sale' today, with 50% off site wide (excluding the VCI Exclusives, of course ). Not as good as their Black Friday 60%, but perhaps 50% is the new norm? Code is REFUND16.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.