Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

VCI is also doing a 60% off sale this weekend. Unfortunately, it still doesn't include the web only box sets.
Old 09-11-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thetao
I have this disk; it's a flipper. The Gorilla looks quite good and I'll guess it came from a very clean 16m print. Dark scenes are a little too dark, but that's the worst I can say, technically. As for the film itself, paraphrasing an IMDB review, "...at least the Ritz Brothers aren't singing an dancing". I have yet to watch Nabonga, but just checked it. There are many more little scratches, noticeably less detail, and dark scenes can be really dark...but there don't appear to be many. It's not great, but certainly watchable.

See my post here about the DVD-R situation. Roan/Troma appears tp have sold very few multi-feature DVD-R's. AFAIK, it was just Pre-Code Hollywood #1 and #2, The Kennel Murder Case, and The Stranger. As long as your case has a security sticker at the top and no DVD-R sticker on the spine, I'm sure it's fine. Honestly, I suspect there was just one pressing.

In case anybody recalls my trials finding a copy of Image's Quicksand (w/ Mickey Rooney), I finally gave up and bought a like new Roan copy off EBay for an unbelievable price. The only potential Roan on my list now is the Mr Wong collection. I was just gonna go with VCI, but notice that used Roans aren't that much. Any suggestions?
Well, here we are almost a year after you posted this and for whatever reason, I am only now discovering that I never thanked you for it! How could I have not expressed my appreciation to you prior to this for answering my question and then some? I promise you that I am usually not so rude and that your information was and is very helpful. I'm not sure if you're still participating on this forum or not, but if so, I'm sorry for the late acknowledgement.
Old 09-11-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've heard of them and don't believe it. You probably have seen their offerings, but dismissed them as junk before ever checking the studio. Just like Alpha will occasionally surprise you, I'm sure Digicom has some good titles, too, but mostly due to where they stole their master. If they were that good, IMHO they'd be better known.

BTW, I decided to buy the "VCI Exclusive". It costs basically as much as the single title I wanted, and this way I combine shipping.
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I THINK Digicom is the same as CATCOM? If so, they don't hold a candle to Roan or VCI.
Well, the guy who was previously promoting DIGICOM at BluRay.com returned today in the thread for the newly released and panned BLU-R of BEAT THE DEVIL from The Film Detective. He posted that the DIGICOM standard DVD-R of BEAT THE DEVIL is the best transfer and that DIGICOM releases the best public domain versions "hands down." I responded that I can't dispute his contention about BEAT THE DEVIL because I haven't seen that version, but I did state that you guys were very knowledgeable about public domain releases and did not think DIGICOM was in the same league as Roan and Image. That BEAT THE DEVIL is going for $12.99, a pretty hefty price for a burned public domain title!
Old 11-20-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

VCI is running a 60% of MSRP (NOT web prices sale), but they are including the "Exclusives" series this time, so I am finally picking up the "Exclusive" Noir box I've been wanting (6 disc) for $13.19 delivered.

Code is THANKS60
Through 12/1.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 11-21-15 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Picked up the noir collection and all the cliffhanger collections. Patience pays off.
Old 11-23-15, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone having trouble with the THANKS60 coupon code not being accepted? I priced some items last week with it and it worked fine.
Today, it's not taking the discount off.
Old 11-23-15, 12:50 PM

I used it last night; the site gave me difficulty checking out, but I was able to re-do it with the promo code successfully.
Old 11-23-15, 01:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Not working for me either. Would be my first ever order from them.
Old 11-23-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by redcon1
Anyone having trouble with the THANKS60 coupon code not being accepted? I priced some items last week with it and it worked fine.
Today, it's not taking the discount off.
Might be a cookie issue. Try deleting any vci cookies you find or delete all your cookies (means having to log back into everything, though) or try a different browser.
Old 11-24-15, 09:28 AM

VCI is running a 60% of MSRP (NOT web prices sale), but they are including the "Exclusives" series this time, so I am finally picking up the "Exclusive" Noir box I've been wanting (6 disc) for $13.19 delivered.

Code is THANKS60
Through 12/1.
Thanks M4 for the tip! If I ordered from them before, it was awhile back. Anyone know what the shipping charges are? Free shipping over $50? I didn't see the info under FAQ...which seems odd...
Old 11-24-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey Moo+3, none of the "Exclusives" are DVD-Rs, are they?
Old 11-24-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am wondering the same..............

BTW, is VCI really slow? I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation.
Old 11-24-15, 03:37 PM

... they are including the "Exclusives" series this time, so I am finally picking up the "Exclusive" Noir box I've been wanting (6 disc) for $13.19 delivered.

Code is THANKS60
Through 12/1.
I looked through the site and noted several noir sets. I wonder if you, or others, might offer some suggestions on ones you consider better choices. Thanks for your post.
Old 11-24-15, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Hey Moo+3, none of the "Exclusives" are DVD-Rs, are they?
As these disks are usually (always?) listed individually, check the individual listings. I'm sure many of the cliffhanger sets are DVD-R. On the other hand, I bought one of their "Rank Samplers" during the last sale and those were all real DVD's. The older material is more often MOD.
Old 11-24-15, 06:32 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I am wondering the same..............

BTW, is VCI really slow? I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation.
They don't send shipping confirmation. It just arrives in the mail in 7 to 10 days.
Old 11-24-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inDefiance
I looked through the site and noted several noir sets. I wonder if you, or others, might offer some suggestions on ones you consider better choices. Thanks for your post.
I'm a George Raft fan, so I can recommend anything with him in it.

I THINK VCI also has a couple of the Edward G Robinson Noirs, but Kino would have them all in better quality.

The set I bought was mainly due to the rarity of some of the films. It's somewhat close to a blind buy, though I've been waiting for a price drop for quite awhile.
Old 11-25-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 611 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by inDefiance
I'd recommend all four of the Forgotten Noir "Collector's Set" editions (rather than the standard double and triple features VCI offers), as they repackage the earlier double-features at a much more appealing price point, especially with these sale prices. The first two sets contain six films each, all fairly low-budget crime/sorta-noir pictures, while the latter two contain nine films each. For my money, the selections are more (very modest) hits than misses -- although many of the films are indeed minor enough to make their "forgotten" status understandable -- but I've yet to see a truly "bad" film in the bunch.

Plus, the larger sets retain all of the special features from the earlier releases, including commentaries, interviews, radio programs, ad/photo galleries, etc.

All four sets -- 30 movies -- work out to around $50 shipped at the current sale prices, I believe.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-25-15 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-25-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As these disks are usually (always?) listed individually, check the individual listings. I'm sure many of the cliffhanger sets are DVD-R. On the other hand, I bought one of their "Rank Samplers" during the last sale and those were all real DVD's. The older material is more often MOD.
I don't believe any of the cliffhanger sets are DVD-Rs as they all say DVD under them, but I've been trying to call VCI today just to make sure before I place my order. They must have already left for the holiday as I can't reach anyone. In any case, some of their serials do say DVD-R, so a way to doubly make sure they are not until I can talk to someone is to do as you say and look up each title individually.

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 11-25-15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I don't believe any of the cliffhanger sets are DVD-Rs as they all say DVD under them, but I've been trying to call VCI today just to make sure before I place my order. They must have already left for the holiday as I can't reach anyone. In any case, some of their serials do say DVD-R, so a way to doubly make sure they are not until I can talk to someone is to do as you say and look up each title individually.
I'm hoping that's the case with the "exclusives"; the one i got says "dvd".
Old 11-25-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm hoping that's the case with the "exclusives"; the one i got says "dvd".
I did some more research and I think you're safe. I looked into a couple of the Cliffhanger sets and only found one serial included that was clearly marked DVD-R, the rest said DVD. So I'm assuming that the listings are correct. Although I'm not crazy that they adopted the burned route for some of their product, I'm at least grateful they seem to clearly mark which ones are DVD-R on their site. MODs are ok if there's no other choice, but my preference is for pressed discs. It's disappointing that many of their older titles are now strictly DVD-R on their site. Makes me want to pick up the pressed ones before they are history.

As for this sale, I went for two of the Cliffhanger sets and they came out to be around $12.80 each which is a deal given how much film entertainment there are in full serials. Had to pass on the other two Cliffhanger sets because I had some of the titles in their individual releases.
Old 11-25-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also really want factory pressed, but in this case if they are burned I also can't bitch too loud with 6 films for $13.
Old 11-30-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Came today, it is factory pressed.
Old 12-01-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Came today, it is factory pressed.
That's great news, thanks for letting us know.

I decided I wanted to add another title as it's pressed right now, but may not always be, so I called to see if my order from last Thursday had shipped yet and thankfully it hadn't. As always, excellent customer service from Penny who added the additional title and only charged me an extra dollar for shipping. She said it would have cost more if I had added the title online, so I'm glad I called. All in all, very happy with this sale.
Old 12-11-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

VCI Sale is is back on through 12/31

Code: XMAS60

I don't think there's anything I can't live without. Too bad Phantom Creeps is now 1 burned disc. I wouldn't mind a pressed copy of that.

I would also like it if they would put all of there George Raft titles in 1 set.
Old 12-12-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Too bad Phantom Creeps is now 1 burned disc. I wouldn't mind a pressed copy of that.
I'm with you on that one. I kept waiting on a "good" sale to pick up a copy and it suddenly went to MOD. Blech! I'd likely pick one up from a Amazon MP dealer *if* they would bother to list if theirs is pressed or MOD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.