Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 08:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
Can anyone else confirm Jericho season 2 ???
I can confirm Jericho season 2. I would love to find a Beverly Hillbillies season 2.
Old 12-05-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
Keep in mind that BB also buys new DVD's in very large quantities (sadly, not as large as they used to...) which I suspect gives them bargaining power with the studios. The conversation might go, "we will buy xxxxx copies of X-Men First Class, the new Glee season, the new House season, etc. in exchange for a really good deal on some older TV sets that we can use for BF promos". BL doesn't have that kind of leverage. But of course, I'm just guessing, too.
That does seem like a very plausible scenario that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-05-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped back in at the BL in Torrance, CA on PCH, the one farther West past Hawthorne, and they had put up the $10 TV shows (I must have just missed them late last week). Much had been sold, but they still had,

Diagnosis Murder - Season 1
My Three Sons - Season One, Vol. 1
My Three Sons - Season One, Vol. 2
My Three Sons - Season Two, Vol. 1
Heroes - Season 2
Family Ties - Season 1
Numb3rs - Season 4
Sabrina - Season 3

$6 Sets remaining were,

Charmed - Season 3
90210 - Season 1
Walker, Texas Ranger - Season 5
Walker, Texas Ranger - The Final Season
Old 12-05-11, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I saw it today along with:

Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show - First Season
Dave's World - The First Season
Diagnosis Murder - The Complete 1st Season
Rawhide - The Second Season, Vol. 1
Rawhide - The Second Season, Vol. 2
The Lucy Show: The Official First Season
The Lucy Show: The Official Second Season
The Lucy Show: The Official Third Season
Star Trek Fan Collective - Time Travel
Star Trek Fan Collective - Captain's Log

The Beverly Hillbillies: The Official Second Season
The Fugitive - Season One, Vol. One
The Fugitive - Season
One, Vol. Two
Heroes - Season One
Family Ties - The Complete First Season
House, M.D.: Season One
Numb3rs - The Complete First Season
CSI (regular series - one season but I don't recall which)

There were a few others I don't recall. The store here has a small waterfall (3x4) with about 50 titles total. Most had 2 copies, a few had only 1 and Heroes-S1 had 4.
Which store was this. I'm willing to buy some of these even for $10
Old 12-06-11, 04:10 AM

Thanks everyone. Now hopefully it'll show up in New England.
Old 12-06-11, 07:38 AM

Apparently the restock on tv series dvd sets is supposed to go out for the ad for DEC 11. The stores that had these out early may or may not get another shipment by the time that ad hits. One thing is certain ...corporate wants these out of the warehouse and sold before Christmas.
Old 12-06-11, 07:45 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
FWIW, I saw at least one copy of Surface at the Lancaster, PA BL over the weekend. Your lack of selection seems especially odd given that BL's home office is in Columbus.
I've looked in the 3 BigLots that we have sprinkled around Austintown, Boardman, and Liberty, plus the BigLots in Hermitage, PA and New Castle, PA, and none of these BigLots ever have the nice selection of TV sets that I see listed in this thread. It seems that BigLots is more interested in shipping all the good stuff out to the west coast first, because that's where it seems they turn up most often (could be wrong about that, it's just my impression). All I know is that every time I go to any of these BigLots, I see very few (if any) of the TV sets mentioned in this thread, and mostly what I see are the same tired old boring crap I see every time I go there. Every once in awhile I'll find something worthwhile, but not nearly as often as I used to. -kd5-
Old 12-06-11, 11:21 AM

Wow, I hope I can easily find My Three Sons, Rawhide and The Lucy Show. I wonder if these shows have much appeal to the general public? Has anyone seen Beverly Hillibillies S1 or S3? I log my collection on DVD Afficianado, and for some reason S1 is no longer listed. Anyone else use DVDAF??
Old 12-06-11, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
These days $8 is too much for 2nd tier BR's. The prices have dropped so fast on BR's, that the usual discounters can't keep up. I feel sorry for any retailer with a large BR inventory older than 6 months; they're going to lose a ton of money.
It's almost getting to the point in which $6 for complete random season sets of tv series is too much as well....
Old 12-06-11, 12:27 PM

Season 1 was never officially available through Paramount. It and some of the early Petticoat Junction episodes are owned by the Paul Henning estate and have come out in different packaging.

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
Wow, I hope I can easily find My Three Sons, Rawhide and The Lucy Show. I wonder if these shows have much appeal to the general public? Has anyone seen Beverly Hillibillies S1 or S3? I log my collection on DVD Afficianado, and for some reason S1 is no longer listed. Anyone else use DVDAF??
Old 12-06-11, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
In my experience, the older shows tend to sell quicker at Biglots than the newer shows. Beverly Hillbillies Season 2 was at Biglots last year and may be a leftover. Season 1 taken from the Henning Family's 16mm prints, is spread over three separate MPI collections, some of which have shown up at Half Price Books. To my knowledge, the My Three Sons sets suffer from the dreaded music substitution issues. Those would be a lot more attractive at $6. Bilko at $10 is a great deal imo.
Old 12-06-11, 01:02 PM

I went to big lots and found two different dvd copies of the original movie, THE FOG. They both were special editions but one had a blue mist cover and the other one had a green mist cover. I wanna know what is the difference.
Old 12-06-11, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by moviefiend28
I went to big lots and found two different dvd copies of the original movie, THE FOG. They both were special editions but one had a blue mist cover and the other one had a green mist cover. I wanna know what is the difference.
The green mist should be the original, directed by John Carpenter and published by MGM. The blue mist is likely the remake, published by Sony. The original is obviously better.
Old 12-06-11, 01:10 PM

This would be great if it is actually the Lucy Show and not I Love Lucy as has been spotted already. Do you know if it is actually the Lucy Show?
thanks
^I saw it today along with:

Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show - First Season
Dave's World - The First Season
Diagnosis Murder - The Complete 1st Season
Rawhide - The Second Season, Vol. 1
Rawhide - The Second Season, Vol. 2
The Lucy Show: The Official First Season
The Lucy Show: The Official Second Season
The Lucy Show: The Official Third Season
Star Trek Fan Collective - Time Travel
Star Trek Fan Collective - Captain's Log

The Beverly Hillbillies: The Official Second Season
The Fugitive - Season One, Vol. One
The Fugitive - Season One, Vol. Two
Heroes - Season One
Family Ties - The Complete First Season
House, M.D.: Season One
Numb3rs - The Complete First Season
CSI (regular series - one season but I don't recall which)

There were a few others I don't recall. The store here has a small waterfall (3x4) with about 50 titles total. Most had 2 copies, a few had only 1 and Heroes-S1 had 4.
Old 12-06-11, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by vivafriend5
The green mist should be the original, directed by John Carpenter and published by MGM. The blue mist is likely the remake, published by Sony. The original is obviously better.
They both got John Carpenter's name on the front
Old 12-06-11, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by moviefiend28
They are pretty much the same. The blue version has a trailer for the remake.
Old 12-06-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawerma
Which store was this. I'm willing to buy some of these even for $10
You'll have a *very* long drive if your location is correct. This store is in the Memphis, TN area.
Old 12-06-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan458
This would be great if it is actually the Lucy Show and not I Love Lucy as has been spotted already. Do you know if it is actually the Lucy Show?
thanks
Yes, it's actually The Lucy Show - S1, S2, S3 (amazon links for reference). I was somewhat surprised to see these. There *were* 2 copies of each season around noon yesterday but today they were down to a single copy of S1.
Old 12-06-11, 04:56 PM

Wow here is hoping they show up all over the country then.
Yes, it's actually The Lucy Show - S1, S2, S3 (amazon links for reference). I was somewhat surprised to see these. There *were* 2 copies of each season around noon yesterday but today they were down to a single copy of S1.
Old 12-06-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

At $10 I just don't see most of these boxes as being a big bargain. They're usually $5 at Pawn shops, & often as low as $10 at the various big box stores. And for those who don't frequent pawn shops, at least in the PNW most of them have TONS of TV boxes (though very few classic film boxes).
Old 12-06-11, 08:08 PM

At $10 I just don't see most of these boxes as being a big bargain. They're usually $5 at Pawn shops, & often as low as $10 at the various big box stores. And for those who don't frequent pawn shops, at least in the PNW most of them have TONS of TV boxes (though very few classic film boxes).
Are the tv sets you see there new or are they pawned used sets? If they are new, what companies do you see them from?
Old 12-07-11, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with $10 not being a bargain. I have been into very few pawn shops in my life, but those that I have usually have most of their movies overpriced in my opinion.

A different BL store (since mine had zero $6 DVD sets on BF) I went to yesterday had almost exactly the titles listed by BobO'Link earlier, but though I was interested in a few I refused to pay $10. I actually have a 20% off rewards ready, but I'm saving that for something else. Even $8 with a 20% off is still too much especially when these all were $6 on BF (right?) and I should've gotten them had my store had the inventory they advertised when I went there on BF. Fortunately my backlog of stuff to watch means I'm not too worried about passing on these. It'll probably be the same ones next BF too... assuming my store ever gets any inventory on BF (before they jack the price back up the following week). And my favorite is that every store still has at least 5 copies of Twin Peaks S2 for $10 from last year, and apparently they don't ever intend to reduce the price to get rid of those eyesores.

Last edited by Manzana; 12-07-11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-07-11, 10:04 AM

I beg to differ with you guys (Oh please let me differ, PLEASE!) $10 is a bargain, if you can't buy it for $10 anywhere else. Checking amazon re-sellers I didn't see much that was even close to that price, even without including the shipping charges...and as others have noted...older shows don't often show up on sale. Heck, when I was at one Wal-Mart the other day, I think I counted one older series on DVD (Other one did have some 60's westerns)
And Pawn stores differ with where you live of course....you will see a lot better selection in say L.A. than in Atlanta...the crap I see is beat up, scratched up...used to be when I looked for cds, half the time they were either missing the cd in the case, or the wrong cd, or the cd looked like someone cleaned it with an SOS pad....
Old 12-07-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Completely agree. This is probably BL attempting higher pricing owing to the popularity of their $3 offerings from a few years ago that brought in regular foot traffic. I started hitting BL's ONLY for these. With BD on the rise and available at more than bargain sale prices (only if the deal-hunter in you is active), $10 for media on the wane (DVD) is no bargain at all. If these sets start getting gobbled up by consumers, the $3 DVD stack might disappear to make way for a permanent $5 pricing. Not a bargain at all for $10
Old 12-07-11, 11:40 AM

I must ask...did you see the Lucy Show seasons there as well?
Originally Posted by Manzana
I agree with $10 not being a bargain. I have been into very few pawn shops in my life, but those that I have usually have most of their movies overpriced in my opinion.

A different BL store (since mine had zero $6 DVD sets on BF) I went to yesterday had almost exactly the titles listed by BobO'Link earlier, but though I was interested in a few I refused to pay $10. I actually have a 20% off rewards ready, but I'm saving that for something else. Even $8 with a 20% off is still too much especially when these all were $6 on BF (right?) and I should've gotten them had my store had the inventory they advertised when I went there on BF. Fortunately my backlog of stuff to watch means I'm not too worried about passing on these. It'll probably be the same ones next BF too... assuming my store ever gets any inventory on BF (before they jack the price back up the following week). And my favorite is that every store still has at least 5 copies of Twin Peaks S2 for $10 from last year, and apparently they don't ever intend to reduce the price to get rid of those eyesores.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.