DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

X-Files: Seasons 1-9- $13.49 each @ Amazon DOTW

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: X-Files: Seasons 1-9- $13.49 each @ Amazon DOTW

Originally Posted by yoshimi
Ordered all nine plus the two movies. Thanks to the OP for the heads up.
no problem
Old 06-29-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick note though most probably already know this. If you don't order them all (I ordered 2,3,4)...the rest will start showing up in your goldbox for $12.82. My wife said she didn't need anymore right now, but if you want to save about 60 cents on some of them, that should work. It is random though, today I had season 5 and 9 in there.
Old 06-29-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by diditagain
Manzana, see the other posts in this topic for the reason why The X-Files won't have a Blu-ray release anytime soon.

I'll gladly take the current DVD release, even in the slimmer cases without some bonus features, over no release at all, especially when the season sets can be purchased this week for less than one-tenth the original, early 2000s list price!
I missed that stuff about shot on film, edited/FX done on video, and I didn't understand that meant there was no way they could make a Blu-Ray release out of it. I'm assuming it means the only existing "masters" of the completed X-Files episodes are 720x480 video tapes? I also assume all of the effects work is just "thrown away" and isn't saved anywhere to be re-applied to HD transfers if they ever retransfered from film? I have no idea how "VFX" are created, applied, or transferred, but it's a shame to think all the work is just thrown away. My understanding is real film stock (not digital captures) is a lot higher resolution than 1920x1080 and is a good HD source if the film is in good shape.

Just because they were edited on video doesn't explain the graininess of the DVDs to me, but I do understand it would be hard to make HD quality material out of 720x480. Had I known this important info, I might have bought that Sam's Club complete ultimate edition set (the slim packs with the bonus DVDs included) last year for what works out to $8.59 per season. Sadly I don't have time to pre-research everything I might ever encounter in a store to know if a BD release is likely. I'm also too stubborn (and too backlogged with other stuff to watch) to pay the $13.49 price per season. However, I'll now adjust my expectations that the X-Files on Blu-Ray is going to be MANY years away. I find it hard to believe that they (Fox) won't do a HD transfer at some point, but maybe there aren't enough X-Files fans to ever justify it. I don't know.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Old 06-29-11, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I missed that stuff about shot on film, edited/FX done on video, and I didn't understand that meant there was no way they could make a Blu-Ray release out of it. I'm assuming it means the only existing "masters" of the completed X-Files episodes are 720x480 video tapes? I also assume all of the effects work is just "thrown away" and isn't saved anywhere to be re-applied to HD transfers if they ever retransfered from film? I have no idea how "VFX" are created, applied, or transferred, but it's a shame to think all the work is just thrown away. My understanding is real film stock (not digital captures) is a lot higher resolution than 1920x1080 and is a good HD source if the film is in good shape.
Well, they could theoretically make new HD Masters.

But that would involve using the original live action 35mm footage that was shot and scanning it to presumably create a DI, from which they could create all new VFX and edit each episode.

In essence they would be creating a whole new show. The number of man hours and cost to do this would be astronomical for a series which ran as long as The X-Files did (I think over 200 episodes).

Which is why, as I said earlier the chances of this happening are slim to none. You can't blame Fox for not choosing this route, it really is not cost effective.
Old 06-29-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
(obligatory "I remember when these sets were $149 each, back when I walked to school seven miles through the snow, uphill both ways" comment)
I traded in the first three seasons for a Gamecube as I recall.
Old 07-02-11, 12:07 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Quick note though most probably already know this. If you don't order them all (I ordered 2,3,4)...the rest will start showing up in your goldbox for $12.82. My wife said she didn't need anymore right now, but if you want to save about 60 cents on some of them, that should work. It is random though, today I had season 5 and 9 in there.
whoa, that's awesome!