Re: Amazon - TV on DVD sale

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
The Critic was 13.99, I believe...
I got mine for 11.49 around BF. Cheapest I've ever seen new from amazon
Old 01-05-11, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Lol, a lot of these same sets are part of Dead Discount's current B1G1F sale, and they are wanting like 30 bucks for these seasons. Pathetic Deep Discount. Amazon has you beat big time here.
As usual around here, people have more fun bashing DD than actually checking out their prices and saving money with them.

Hart to Hart, Hazel, Starsky and Hutch 2 for $16.23 at DD; $8.49 each at Amazon.

Sanford and Son 2 for $16.23 at DD; $12.99-13.99 each at Amazon.

Seinfeld 2 for $28.35 at DD, $24.99 each at Amazon.

The Jeffersons 2 for $16.23 at DD, $14.99 and up at Amazon.

I Dream of Jeannie, News Radio 2 for $22.33 at DD, $11.49 each at Amazon

Mad about You 2 for $16.23 at DD, $11.49 and up at Amazon

To be fair, some of the prices Amazon has on sale right now are better than DD's sales price but most are not. As always, people should be comparison shopping and getting the best price. Instead, they're having too much fun spending more money and making fun of DD.

I've ordered as much from DD as anyone and everything I've ordered has always arrived in a decent amount of time and in good shape. I have a number of friends and family members who have ordered from DD and they've never had a problem. The only item I've had a problem with in the last couple of years was one hard-to-find item from Amazon that took nearly three months to ship, but I didn't have a fit about it.

There's not a whole lot in this sale I'm interested in from either place that I don't already have, but I'd place an order with DD in an instant if and when they have a deal on things I want.
Old 01-05-11, 11:19 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd much rather spend more at Amazon then get fucked by DD for the 12th time.
Old 01-06-11, 12:25 AM

Magnum PI S7 is $10. I am not sure if anyone noticed this but I thought I'd share.
Old 01-06-11, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
As usual around here, people have more fun bashing DD than actually checking out their prices and saving money with them.

Hart to Hart, Hazel, Starsky and Hutch 2 for $16.23 at DD; $8.49 each at Amazon.

Sanford and Son 2 for $16.23 at DD; $12.99-13.99 each at Amazon.

Seinfeld 2 for $28.35 at DD, $24.99 each at Amazon.

The Jeffersons 2 for $16.23 at DD, $14.99 and up at Amazon.

I Dream of Jeannie, News Radio 2 for $22.33 at DD, $11.49 each at Amazo

Mad about You 2 for $16.23 at DD, $11.49 and up at Amazon

To be fair, some of the prices Amazon has on sale right now are better than DD's sales price but most are not. As always, people should be comparison shopping and getting the best price. Instead, they're having too much fun spending more money and making fun of DD.

I've ordered as much from DD as anyone and everything I've ordered has always arrived in a decent amount of time and in good shape. I have a number of friends and family members who have ordered from DD and they've never had a problem. The only item I've had a problem with in the last couple of years was one hard-to-find item from Amazon that took nearly three months to ship, but I didn't have a fit about it.

There's not a whole lot in this sale I'm interested in from either place that I don't already have, but I'd place an order with DD in an instant if and when they have a deal on things I want.
Thanks. Great post. I'm going to start buying from DD again starting tomorrow. Your positives experiences are much more valuable than my own negative experiences. I feel foolish. How dare I pay a bit more for good service. And I now know these dozens and dozens of complaints about DD are just "bashing" and are completely without merit. I'm glad there are people like you to tell me where to shop.
Old 01-06-11, 01:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwstl
Thanks. Great post. I'm going to start buying from DD again starting tomorrow. Your positives experiences are much more valuable than my own negative experiences. I feel foolish. How dare I pay a bit more for good service. And I now know these dozens and dozens of complaints about DD are just "bashing" and are completely without merit. I'm glad there are people like you to tell me where to shop.
You have to admit though that the quote from "dvdjunkie32" that was referenced was not a fair representation of how the two sales compare.

I really think part of the reason some people come to DD's defense is due to the fact they get more overly generalized and sometimes just inaccurate bashing then any other vendor. DD has had their issues and it is understandable that some may not want to use them any more as a result, but some of the statements bashing them are a bit too extreme.
Old 01-06-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 01-06-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to spend more money, but I think I'm going to have to get Bewitched at that price. I never see them go on sale.
Old 01-06-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not sure if you said that with tongue in cheek, but in case you didn't... up until this last week I had defied the odds and hadn't had any trouble with DD, but it finally happened... they screwed me on a B1G1F order shipping the full priced 1 and canceling the free one. There's no way I would've bought the other 1 at full price. So people may be lucky and get a good deal with DD, but if they choose to ignore all the negative posts about DD (they are there for a reason... it's not a conspiracy against a poor, innocent company people decided to pick on) then it's like playing Russian roulette: you may come out unscathed many times you pull the trigger and buy at DD, but eventually you will reach the loaded chamber and get hurt.

I swore off any more orders from DD where there are freebies involved. DD is all but impossible to get ahold of by phone and unresponsive by email. I'm going to refuse shipment on my full priced canceled order and hope that I get credit because I can't get ahold of DD. Otherwise, I'll have to get my credit card company involved, and if that happens DD will be out of the picture completely for me... not just on B1G1F orders.
Old 01-06-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Good prices for Bewitched, though I wish Sony would just release a complete like Jeannie.
Old 01-06-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
Good prices for Bewitched, though I wish Sony would just release a complete like Jeannie.
Wal-Mart has two packs of Bewtiched for 19.96 S1/2 (colorized) S3/S4 and S5 was 9.99 at Target. So only the later seasons are a decent deal.
Old 01-06-11, 10:32 AM

A pretty decent sale from Amazon. I may be in for some choice 80s detective stuff. Re. DD, I've never had any issues with them. The odd back order is all. But the changes in their operation, and the many complaints here in the past few months, gives one pause. My primary beef is how they keep throwing up "Deals" that are anything but. The current BOGO isn't bad, but now you've gotta wonder: Will I actually get the items?
Old 01-06-11, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Wal-Mart has two packs of Bewtiched for 19.96 S1/2 (colorized) S3/S4 and S5 was 9.99 at Target. So only the later seasons are a decent deal.
$15.49 is pretty good price, but Costco had all the seasons for $12.99 about a year ago, so a lower price is possible. But that $8.49 for many other sets is incredible.

BTW - Has anyone gotten a shipping notice yet? (I have not).
Old 01-06-11, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
$15.49 is pretty good price, but Costco had all the seasons for $12.99 about a year ago, so a lower price is possible. But that $8.49 for many other sets is incredible.

BTW - Has anyone gotten a shipping notice yet? (I have not).
I ordered Soap: The Complete Series yesterday. Got the shipping notice last night and expect it today.
Old 01-06-11, 11:08 AM

Has Bewitched S3/S4 been spotted recently at Target? I was going to get them at Amazon but if Target still has them I would get them there.
Old 01-06-11, 01:06 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by marald
I ordered Soap: The Complete Series yesterday. Got the shipping notice last night and expect it today.
Just had mine delivered. Less than 24 hours - gotta love the Prime trial!
Old 01-06-11, 01:48 PM

I don't know you. You don't know me. I value my own experience and the experience of people I know and trust more than I do yours (and you should feel the same way).

I've had two problems with DD shipments over the years. One got lost and one got undershipped (they indicated three or four items had shipped on the packing slip that weren't in the box). Both times I got through quickly to a real human being who resolved the matter quickly and to my satisfaction. The undershipment occurred during their last 25% off sale last summer, so it's not ancient history.

I also have someone else's opinion to go on, that of Warner Brothers. They are using DD to process and ship Warner Archive orders. Warner has put a lot of effort into the Archive program and it's gotten a lot of attention from critics and film buffs. I don't think they would put that into the hands of a company which operates in as slipshod a fashion as you seem to believe they do.

I realize I won't change your mind (and you won't change mine), but I'd like some people to at least realize that not everyone thinks as little of DD as you do.
Old 01-06-11, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
Just had mine delivered. Less than 24 hours - gotta love the Prime trial!
I ordered The Flying Nun S1 & S2 @ $8.49 each on Tuesday, January 4th and I received it this morning, Thursday, January 6th using Amazon's free super saver shipping...

Yes, I paid 75 cents more than DD, but from order to receipt it took slightly less than 48 hours! I doubt I would have received it that quickly from DD even if I paid for their "Expedited Shipping" option.

Old 01-06-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I also have someone else's opinion to go on, that of Warner Brothers. They are using DD to process and ship Warner Archive orders. Warner has put a lot of effort into the Archive program and it's gotten a lot of attention from critics and film buffs. I don't think they would put that into the hands of a company which operates in as slipshod a fashion as you seem to believe they do.
Why am I supposed to be impressed by this? You speak as if DD has some exclusive agreement for the Warner Archive. They don't....

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2204702011

http://www.oldies.com/Warner-Archive/collection.cfm

I used to buy from DD but my recent experiences have been terrible so I no longer wish to give them my business. And I've stated my reasons in detail without bashing in another thread. I do agree that some people in their anger have been too nasty in their comments but that doesn't completely take away the point of their comments. And that is DD screwed a lot of people this past year.
It's fine to hear positive and negative comments so people can make up their own mind but your comment implying that people posting complaints is for "fun" is just arrogant and ignorant.

P.S. I will give DD another chance the day I can log in to my account and see an accurate list of my orders and their status....like every other decent company provides.
Old 01-06-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by marald
Has Bewitched S3/S4 been spotted recently at Target? I was going to get them at Amazon but if Target still has them I would get them there.
The "Bewitched" 2-packs were not at the Target here... I'd have picked up S3/S4 2-pack at that price.
Old 01-07-11, 09:06 AM

Why am I supposed to be impressed by this? You speak as if DD has some exclusive agreement for the Warner Archive. They don't....
Other companies sell Warner Archive DVDs but if you order an Archive DVD from the Warner Brothers store, they use DD to prepare and ship it. If you order other merchandise, like the latest Harry Potter DVD, Warner prepares and ships it themselves (that's why if you try to combine Archive and non-Archive orders, you may see two separate shipping charges). That's a big difference. If I buy a DVD from Amazon, I look to Amazon if there's a problem with shipping or receiving it, not Warner or Universal or Shout Factory or Criterion.

If I order from the WB Store (which has the cheapest prices on Archive DVDs when they're on sale), I look to Warner if there's a problem, not to DD (since DD doesn't identify themselves on the Warner packing slips, the only way you know it's coming from DD is the return address on the box and the design of the packing slip, which is a DD packing slip without the DD logo at the top).

Companies sell their products through many retailers. They are much more selective about who they choose process their direct shipments.
Old 01-07-11, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The "Bewitched" 2-packs were not at the Target here... I'd have picked up S3/S4 2-pack at that price.
I probably should have made this more clear

Wal-Mart 2-packs Bewitched Season 1/2 and Bewitched Season 3/4 --> 19.96 ea.
Target Bewitched Season 5 - 9.99
Old 01-07-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I probably should have made this more clear

Wal-Mart 2-packs Bewitched Season 1/2 and Bewitched Season 3/4 --> 19.96 ea.
Target Bewitched Season 5 - 9.99
Wal-Mart has season 6 now for $13
Old 01-07-11, 11:54 AM

Was at Wal-mart this am and saw three sets of Bewtiched for $19.99 1/2, 3/4, and 7/8
Old 01-07-11, 11:59 AM

Family Video has a few tv sets on sale

Knight Rider - Season 2 DVD In Stock $8.99
Knight Rider - Season 4 DVD In Stock $8.99
Magnum P.I. - The Complete Seventh Season 5-Disc Set DVD In Stock $8.99
Quantum Leap - The Complete Fourth Season DVD $8.99
Law & Order: Criminal Intent - The Third Year 3-Disc Set DVD In Stock $11.99
Growing Pains - The Complete First Season DVD In Stock $12.49
Mama's Family - The Complete First Season 2-Disc Set; Digipak; Copy Protected DVD In Stock $12.49
Murphy Brown - The Complete First Season DVD In Stock $12.49
Emergency is $13+ and the prices get higher for other sets.

Last edited by mr Articulate; 01-07-11 at 01:58 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.