Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hamilton Books

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Hamilton Books

GW - did the spaghetti western book Any Gun Can Play sell out?
Old 06-28-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CVB
I'm happy you guys have VHS. I hope you get more titles in.

It's a crap format, but I still have fond memories of the box covers, and renting.

There are still sealed cases of those things all over the country.

Locally, I can find new sealed tapes, but nothing I really want.

I would love to get my hands on a factory sealed tape of FADE TO BLACK ( directed by Vernon Zimmerman - stars Dennis Christopher and Linda Kerridge - anchor bay version ).

Very happy to get HARD CASE CRIME books from you guys... the prices are great!

I've been buying from HAMILTON for a long time now.

I still remember when your catalogs were BIG newspaper sized things that would leave ink all over your hands.

I can honestly say, you guys have become better with age.... kinda like the way Marisa Tomei has become more beautiful with age - if you've seen BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD, then you know what I mean... ha-ha-ha...

P.S. - Happy to see Vinegar Syndrome titles on your website...
Hey I am glad somebody is buying the VHS! To show you our type of customer....we sell way more VHS than blu ray. I think the place I get them from has enough titles left for one more big buy. They were very happy somebody wanted them--I have a feeling they were sitting in a truck buried somewhere honestly.

Ah yes, the newsprint catalog. I am glad we are in color/on decent paper now but I still have the very last newsprint New Arrivals floating around here framed somewhere. That thing (and Ed of course) built the business. We had people write in and say they missed it when we killed it!

I love anything CAV Distribution does so Vinegar Syndrome was a no brainer....now if I could just get Code Red and Scorpion to deal with me!

Originally Posted by Dimension X

That stinks. I've seen a lot of Marvel and IDW trades cheap at various places, but never DC, so I figured that must be what was up. It really sucks since I'm more of a DC fan.
I get why they do it as they think they are protecting the value but it kills me because we could sell the heck out of those Showcase500 page compendiums at a bargain price.

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks

GW, I hope you are successful in getting the powers that be to do away with that per item charge. Maybe you could offer free PH at a certain purchase amount. It would go a long way in encouraging bigger orders. Thanks for all your input. your little list caused me some big bucks
I fought hard on the former when we did the new site--but we looked everywhere and pretty much everyone had one of some sort and the web purchases are more expensive for us because of card processing. I AM working on the latter but it is a hard sell. But it is possible.

I know I could mail in my order and avoid the per item charge, but I seriously can't recall the last time I wrote a check to pay for something. I use my credit card for everything these days.
I'm not gonna lie...me either. Maybe Oldies (Yes I order from them when they have something good I don't!)

Originally Posted by SethDLH
GW - did the spaghetti western book Any Gun Can Play sell out?
Yes. There's a chance if you had an order in already that we'd order it to fill the order. We do try to fill needs where we can orders 1s and 2s and book companies are very flexible with us. But it be gone. Sorry!

I really want to thank you guys for being customers and supporting us. (Even when we do sell out before we get you what you want!). We're fairly big now but we are still a family run place and a big part of our small town's economy.

And I am always looking for more cool DVDs, and the book buyer does the same for books!
Old 06-28-13, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I get why they do it as they think they are protecting the value but it kills me because we could sell the heck out of those Showcase500 page compendiums at a bargain price.
And I'd buy the heck out of them if you had them really cheap. I wasn't at all interested in those when they first came out (the same with the Marvel Essentials). Then they got around to publishing stuff I didn't already have (either reprints or originals), and I want those. Plus they look great on my comic spinner rack.

I guess I'll have to keep picking up used copies when I can.
I'm not gonna lie...me either.

Maybe Oldies (Yes I order from them when they have something good I don't!)
Hmm. It's been awhile since I checked them out. Maybe I need to take another look.
Old 06-28-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm. It's been awhile since I checked them out. Maybe I need to take another look.
They're our competitor but they seem like a good business and they are mail order so I kind of root for them in a weird way! Us old fashioned types gotta stick together.
Old 06-28-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're our competitor but they seem like a good business and they are mail order so I kind of root for them in a weird way! Us old fashioned types gotta stick together.
Well if you see anything good (and cheap) there, let us know.
Old 06-28-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they have some good stuff and it's priced OK, sometimes really good .. .but they do offer free postage around holidays and with an order over $100, so that's when I buy from them

:hint: :hint:
Old 06-28-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rarely write checks anymore, but that base shipping price of $3.50 is way too good a deal to pass up so I'm willing to go old school and dig out the checkbook. I'm one of those people who tend to nickel and dime a bargain in my head, figuring out best how to maximize my savings and whether a bargain is still a bargain once shipping, tax and crap are added to it. Doing the math is essential to the hunt.
Old 06-28-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I rarely write checks anymore, but that base shipping price of $3.50 is way too good a deal to pass up so I'm willing to go old school and dig out the checkbook. I'm one of those people who tend to nickel and dime a bargain in my head, figuring out best how to maximize my savings and whether a bargain is still a bargain once shipping, tax and crap are added to it. Doing the math is essential to the hunt.
I write 2 per month - both utilities (because they each want $5 to take a CC payment!).

While I take into account that extra item charge it doesn't bother me too much. I just add it to the cost of the item (actually average the total shipping across all items) and if that extra ~$.50 kills the "deal" well... guess I really didn't want/need it that bad.

I'd probably order more from Oldies were their base shipping not so high. Their free shipping offers typically require a far larger purchase amount than I'm ready/willing to drop. I remember when they'd do it for purchases as low as $25 but that's been a while.

Not only that but Hamilton supports *us* here on DVDTalk with prizes for most (all?) of the challenges. For that reason alone I'll give them business over Oldies.
Old 06-28-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And I'd buy the heck out of them if you had them really cheap. I wasn't at all interested in those when they first came out (the same with the Marvel Essentials). Then they got around to publishing stuff I didn't already have (either reprints or originals), and I want those. Plus they look great on my comic spinner rack.
I was the same way when they first appeared, especially feeling turned off by the black and white, but after awhile I came to love them and got hooked on adding volumes to my collection. The fact is that most of this stuff will never see the light of day in any other form, unless one has the money, time and opportunity to collect all of the original comics, something that would take nearly unlimited funds and years to accomplish.

Also, the truth of the matter is that much of this stuff isn't GREAT, it's just solid everyday comics that filled a need back in the day and can again if given the right perspective. So in that sense, these reprints are perfect. It's like with average transfer DVDs, sometimes the kick is in just seeing something, not bronzing it.
Old 06-28-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Yes, they have some good stuff and it's priced OK, sometimes really good .. .but they do offer free postage around holidays and with an order over $100, so that's when I buy from them

:hint: :hint:
Hint taken!
Old 06-28-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Not only that but Hamilton supports *us* here on DVDTalk with prizes for most (all?) of the challenges. For that reason alone I'll give them business over Oldies.
And I thank you for it! We support any DVD Talk challenge when asked. A couple of the runners actually turned me down because they didn't want it to be about prizes! But I 100% get that.

I was the same way when they first appeared, especially feeling turned off by the black and white, but after awhile I came to love them and got hooked on adding volumes to my collection. The fact is that most of this stuff will never see the light of day in any other form, unless one has the money, time and opportunity to collect all of the original comics, something that would take nearly unlimited funds and years to accomplish.

Also, the truth of the matter is that much of this stuff isn't GREAT, it's just solid everyday comics that filled a need back in the day and can again if given the right perspective. So in that sense, these reprints are perfect. It's like with average transfer DVDs, sometimes the kick is in just seeing something, not bronzing it.
I may be kind of weird in this way--but I think the coloring from a lot of the Silver age stuff is terrible anyway and I think the art looks just awesome without it.
Old 06-28-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That would just give me something to worry about for a few days: Will the order get lost in the mail? Will one or more of the items I ordered be sold out by the time the check gets there?

Using my CC, I ordered yesterday and got my shipping confirmation today. Everything I ordered shipped. No worries.
While I take into account that extra item charge it doesn't bother me too much. I just add it to the cost of the item (actually average the total shipping across all items) and if that extra ~$.50 kills the "deal" well... guess I really didn't want/need it that bad.
Same here. I don't buy as much stuff as I used to from anywhere, and most of what I get from Hamilton has had a price cut or two before I consider getting it, so the extra cost really isn't that bad.
I've won enough free movies from GoldenWheels that I don't mind throwing something that's outside my budget into an order now and then.
Old 06-28-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may be kind of weird in this way--but I think the coloring from a lot of the Silver age stuff is terrible anyway and I think the art looks just awesome without it.
It's true that a lot of the coloring from that period mucked up the art, but for nostalgic purity, I still appreciate it. It's funny, but with some stuff the color actually helps with clarity, depending on how much is going on in the illustration, but for most of it the black and white allows for more definition. I do actually prefer the black and white to the glossy, recolored look of the Masterworks and Archives volumes. The Smithsonian method of photographing old comics and reproducing that in books is still the best.
Old 06-28-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, not weird. It really is lacking but looks the way it does due to limitations on color printing in that era. I tend to like it because it's what I grew up with. I'd much rather see the original coloring than the recolor jobs the publishers have done with some re-releases of that material. But if you're going to go that route you also should use newsprint as the pixilated color doesn't reproduce as well on the current slick stock. Here's a link to a primer on how it was all done.
Old 06-30-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Lang Thompson
They finally fixed the power search so we can filter for 2013. Here are some DVDs I saw that might be of interest....

ANTHONY BOURDAIN--A COOK'S TOUR: The Complete Series $11.95
Thanks for pointing this one out, Lang! I put in my order for it and received it really quickly. Unfortunately, it's from the first batch that has the episode screw-up* on Disc 6. If anyone else gets it, you'll need to call (not e-mail) Ryan at Questar to get a replacement disc. I used the contact form on the website (www.questarentertainment.com), and after I didn't get a response in a day and a half, I called. Ryan said that there must be some glitch with the new website, as he didn't get my e-mail and should have. Their phone number is (312) 266-9400, in case anyone needs it.

*On Disc 6, the "Eating on the Mekong" episode is missing; when you select that episode to watch, you get the "Wild Delicacies" episode instead. Then, when you select the "Wild Delicacies" episode, you get the "Wild Delicacies" episode. So, two of the one episode, and none of the other.
Old 07-01-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

^^I've gotta hand it to Questar. I called them Thursday afternoon for the replacement disc, and it's already arrived. It's nice to see a DVD company react so courteously and promptly to fix mistakes.
Old 07-01-13, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Thanks for that list, GW! I ordered Dawn of the Dead and the last 3 seasons of the Kids in the Hall. Nice to finally cross those off my "need to buy" list. Oh, it was my first order too.
Got my order today. Thanks again!
Old 07-09-13, 06:47 PM

Site has been updated & here's some items of interest:

DVDs

6 DEGREES OF HELL $6.95
ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Gene Wilder) $6.95
CLEOPATRA: 75th Anniversary Edition $6.95
EROS $5.95
LAW & ORDER: The Fifth Year / 1994-1995 Season $15.95
LAW & ORDER: The Eighth Year / 97-98 Season $15.95
LIES AND ILLUSIONS (BluRay) $5.95
LORD OF WAR: 2-Disc Special Edition $5.94
MANDINGO (BluRay) $7.95
MARLENE DIETRICH: The Glamour Collection $9.95
MARLON BRANDO: The Franchise Collection $7.95
NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE: Double Secret Probation Edition $7.95
PETER SELLERS 5-FILM COLLECTION $11.95
PRIME SUSPECT 4 $9.95
PRIME SUSPECT 5 $9.95
PRIME SUSPECT 6: The Last Witness $9.95
TERMINATOR SALVATION $6.95

Books

THE JETSONS: The Official Guide to the Cartoon Classic $4.95
A SHORT HISTORY OF CAHIERS DU CINEMA $7.95
CLINT EASTWOOD: Master Filmmaker at Work $14.95
EVENINGS WITH CARY GRANT $6.95
GAHAN WILSON: Fifty Years of Playboy Cartoons $29.95
FAT, DRUNK, AND STUPID: The Inside Story Behind the Making of Animal House $4.95
HEARST OVER HOLLYWOOD: Power, Passion, and Propaganda in the Movies $7.95
HOLLYWOOD'S CENSOR: Joseph I. Breen & the Production Code Administration $6.95
LIFE ITSELF – Ebert $6.95
MARS ATTACKS: 50th Anniversary Collection $7.95
SOMEBODY: The Reckless Life and Remarkable Career of Marlon Brando $4.95
Old 08-07-13, 09:48 PM

New is THE STUART GORDON BOX SET: Pit & the Pendulum / Castle Freak / Deathbed / Stuart Gordon Bonus DVD

$14.95

Item # 5610435
Old 10-06-13, 07:00 PM

Some new items:

RAY HARRYHAUSEN COLLECTIBLE DVD GIFT SET $19.94
THE SAMUEL FULLER COLLECTION: The Collector's Choice $29.95
THE GREGORY PECK FILM COLLECTION $14.95
THE BING CROSBY COLLECTION $9.95
STANLEY KRAMER FILM COLLECTION $9.95
THE ROAN GROUP SERIAL BOX $11.95
MAD DOG MORGAN: 2-Disc Limited Edition $4.95
Old 10-18-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lang Thompson
Some new items:

RAY HARRYHAUSEN COLLECTIBLE DVD GIFT SET $19.94
THE SAMUEL FULLER COLLECTION: The Collector's Choice $29.95
THE GREGORY PECK FILM COLLECTION $14.95
THE BING CROSBY COLLECTION $9.95
STANLEY KRAMER FILM COLLECTION $9.95
THE ROAN GROUP SERIAL BOX $11.95
MAD DOG MORGAN: 2-Disc Limited Edition $4.95
Damn good deal IMO on that one!
Old 10-18-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Absolutely agree! I missed that when Lang first did the post. Even though I already have the 2-disk SE releases on 20 Million Miles to Earth and It Came from Beneath the Sea it's absolutely worth the triple dip on those 2 (I also have the BW set with booklet those came in) just for 2-disk SE on Earth vs. the Flying Saucers plus the Ymir figure.
Old 10-23-13, 04:26 PM

Just a heads up but the LE of Mad Dog Morgan is not anamorphic. It was released by Troma in 2009.
Old 11-13-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All 1$:

Super Robot Red Baron: Complete Series 3436187
Camp Nowhere/Baby 3527948
Ernest Goes to Camp/Jail 3527956
For Hire/Southern Cross 3527964
Cemetery Club/Funny Bones 3527972
Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag/Gross Anatomy 6527980
Heaven's Fall/Blue Ridge Fall 6527999
Ice Cream Man/Jack Frost 2 3528057
Niagara Motel/The Independent 3528065

Flesh Eating Mothers 4309863
Howling III 4309871
Marronier 4309898

Racket Squad 4315855
Dangerous Pursuit/Flight From Justice 4373014

Dark Forces 4437462
Patrick 4437470
Strange Behavior 4437489
Syngenor 4437497
Thirst 4437500

Bone Sickness 4498011
Footsteps 4498054
Hunting Creatures 4498062
Mercy 4498070
Two Front Teeth 4498089

Bride of the Gorilla/Amazing Transparent Man 5498198
Bucket of Blood/Attack of the Giant Leeches 5498201
Dementia 13/Killer Shrews 5498228
Eegah/Giant Gila Monster 5498236
Indestructible Man/Brain that Wouldn't Die 5498287
Killers From Space/Last Woman on Earth 5498295
Teenagers from Outer Space/The Terror 5498368
Old 11-15-13, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not yet ordered from Hamilton Books, but want to finally place an order. I see that they have several books in stock that I'm interested in. None of those books say "damaged", "shopworn" or "no jacket".

My question is, Would the books be in New or close to New condition, with remainder marks and possibly a bit of wear but nothing too serious (the condition I'm looking for) or do the books sometimes have more substantial wear, stains, etc?

Thanks for any help.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.