Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Combat - The Complete Series Amazon $115.99

Never saw it but it sure looks tempting

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Complet...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Old 12-06-10, 07:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Combat - The Complete Series Amazon $115.99

Very tempting. Wish I had bought this and watched it with Dad while he was around.

Think I'll wait for my usual max price point of $15-20 or less per season now.
Old 12-06-10, 12:06 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which seasons were Robert Altman a director/producer on? The first 2?
Old 12-06-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was unequivocally one of the finest hours in the history of television. It excels in every department and in my opinion has much more resonance and poignantly strong ideas than such latter day over-hyped and heralded shows as THE PACIFIC. COMBAT did it first and better and I can't imagine anyone who has an interest in WWII or a devotee of war stories not being invested and inspired by COMBAT. One thing will become crystal clear after watching just one season: That John Landis needs to be rotting away in a prison cell for killing Vic Morrow and two children.

Now having said all that, I need to add that there are some issues with the DVDs of COMBAT, though it's unlikely it will ever come out any other way. The episodes are time compressed in, I believe, the first four seasons, but not the final season. Also, the PQ on the first season isn't very good. Still though, the episodes are uncut and more than watchable.
Old 12-06-10, 03:36 PM

The individual half-seasons are either going out of print or are already gone, so this is may be the last chance to pick these up at retail. The time compression is a bit noticeable on the voices (the episodes run about 47 minutes instead of 50). This is a great series, both for action fans and those who enjoy good drama. There's also a great mix of veteran guest stars and up-and-comers.
Old 12-06-10, 04:05 PM

After reading Stewart Galbraith's review, I am wondering what the odds are of seeing a better set for this show in the future.
Old 12-06-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVD Planet had the individual half seasons on sale for 9.99 a couple of years ago. Could have gotten the whole series for around 100 bucks, but that was too much for a blind buy.

I picked up one set, but eventually sold it when the complete series came out. Almost wish I had "sampled" it to see if I would have even liked it.
Old 12-06-10, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
Very tempting. Wish I had bought this and watched it with Dad while he was around.

Think I'll wait for my usual max price point of $15-20 or less per season now.
Interesting Trevor. I was able to watch this with my father back in the days and thats exactly my top price for a series season set as well! I know my dad would love this era of all these old TV shows on DVD if he was still with us!
Old 12-06-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by skidmark
After reading Stewart Galbraith's review, I am wondering what the odds are of seeing a better set for this show in the future.
It's anyone's guess, but I can't imagine with DVDs slowly fading away that this set will ever come out with better quality. I believe IMAGE declared bankruptcy not so long ago and even though I'm sure their release of TWILIGHT ZONE is a hit on Blu-Ray, I just don't see COMBAT ever getting the same treatment. Plus shows like this are prime fodder for streaming if that proves to be the future, which it looks like it will. I'm sorry this show wasn't done right in the first place and a hundred bucks is still a hundred bucks, but I doubt it's ever going to be released again.