DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

November Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: November Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by jwstl
I want to get the Fanny and Alexander set but I keep holding off thinking it's a prime candidate for an upgrade to Blu. Anyone hear any rumours about that?
I believe Criterion has confirmed on its Facebook page that it will be getting a Blu-ray upgrade.
Old 11-20-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I'm done. At this point I'm only buying them because I can, there is nothing else really calling to me. It is hard to stop, but I can avoid the store for 2 more days.
I'm done, too, but that's only because I can't spend anymore. If I had the finances (or the line of credit) that some of the other users apparently have, I would have gotten almost all their Blu-Ray catalog by now...

Originally Posted by jrsl76
I don't know about anyone else, but I want The 400 Blows, The Last Emperor too, but I'm purposefully not buying them. I want a Blu-ray set of The Adventures of Antoine Doinel and the larger Last Emperor set on blu. For that reason, I haven't bought either.
While I do have The 400 Blows on Blu (mainly because I managed to get a used copy cheap), I admittedly would love to see the full Antoine Doinel box set get released, and would more than likely double dip my current DVD box for it. And I agree with The Last Emperor; I'll wait to see if they put out the full set with both cuts (not to mention keep my fingers crossed that they can put it out in OAR; if Apocalypse Now could get released in OAR, why not Last Emperor?).

Originally Posted by jwstl
I want to get the Fanny and Alexander set but I keep holding off thinking it's a prime candidate for an upgrade to Blu. Anyone hear any rumours about that?
There haven't been any official announcements concerning a Blu release, but I don't think it's unlikely it'll get one, especially since other countries have seen a Blu-Ray release.

With that said, I am curious what would be done concerning both cuts of the film. With The Last Emperor, the TV cut was left off entirely. The Italian cut of The Leopard was 1080p, whereas the American version was 1080i. It does lead one to question what they would do in F&A's case, or any other possible future releases (like Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage, for example).

Originally Posted by Sondheim
I believe Criterion has confirmed on its Facebook page that it will be getting a Blu-ray upgrade.
Well then, I guess that confirms it...
Old 11-20-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Thanks. I suspected as much. I expected to see both cuts on this one.

As for The Last Emperor, keep in mind there's a big difference between the longer cut of Last Emperor and the cut of Fanny and Alexander. The longer/TV version of Last Emperor was supposedly created to fulfill a contractual obligation and Bertolucci himself disliked that version. Whereas the longer version of Fanny and Alexander was exactly what Bergman wanted. For that reason I'm not that upset about the missing TV version of LE on the BD. I was a bit more bothered about the aspect ratio. According to DVDtalk and other sources, the cinematographer decided on the ratio but his reasons seem more self serving than artistic.
Old 11-21-10, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmmm. So the 15% off expires today too. I thought for sure I was done, but I can't help thinking about squeezing one last purchase in- if I can still get the coup combo to work. Lola Montes had piqued my interest in the summer sale, but I passed it over for other things and then didn't even consider it this sale...until now. May just make one more trip after all.

just for the hell of it, here's my final haul for this sale, along with the previous two sales

Stagecoach
Modern Times
Breathless
The Magician
Night Of The Hunter
Paths Of Glory
Vivre sa Vie
Charade
In The Realm Of The Senses
House
The Last Metro
Wings Of Desire
The Thin Red Line
The Secret Of The Grain

The Leopard
The Red Shoes
Black Narcissus

Night Train To Munich
Monsters & Madmen
Paris Texas
Days Of Heaven
Repulsion
Revanche
The Man Who Fell To Earth

Divorce Italian Style
Walkabout
Bigger Than Life
8 1/2

Friends Of Eddie Coyle
Vampyr
Magnificent Obsession
Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales
That Hamilton Woman
The Ernst Lubsitch Musicals
Missing
49th Parallel
Pickup On South Street
The Third Man

Last night I finally got around to watching Vampyr and 49th Parallel, both of which I eagerly bought last November. For anyone who's a fan of Powell & Pressburger, I HIGHLY recommend 49th Parallel- right up there with their finest work, and just as entertaining and edifying.

When blind buys turn out that good, it's motivation to go back and grab as much as possible- while the grabbing is still good.
Old 11-21-10, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Anyway I'm going to ask a stupid question here--Is Seven Samurai (BD) worth a blind buy, considering that I don't really like samurai films and am unfamiliar with Kurosawa? Another way of stating this is does this film transcend the samurai genre and could be viewed by people who don't like(or are unfamiliar with) the samurai genre?
Absolutely on both accounts. For the record, I don't like many samurai films (I just think that Sanjuro and Yojimbo are OK and I didn't really like Kagemusha, but I absolutely love Seven Samurai. It certainly transcends the genre and I think it is a fairly safe blind buy (unless you hate B&W foreign films).

I agree with others, the 3+ hours does fly right by.
Old 11-21-10, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
FYI there's some speculation that Equinox is silently going OOP (a la Harakiri).

It's bizzare that the Studio Canal titles expected to go OOP are still in print but perhaps some others are quietly dissolving.

Not to be alarmist (maybe the rumors about Equinox are false) but I wish CC would announce titles going OOP more consistently.
There's definitely something going on.

I took advantage of this sale to pick up Tokyo Story, In The Mood For Love, Elevator To The Gallows, and a few others that have seemingly disappeared from all on line and B&M vendors.
Old 11-21-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
There's definitely something going on.

I took advantage of this sale to pick up Tokyo Story, In The Mood For Love, Elevator To The Gallows, and a few others that have seemingly disappeared from all on line and B&M vendors.
I checked Amazon and was alarmed to see several titles missing from the site, then I went to Criterionforum.org and found this e-mail exchange with Jon Mulvaney:
Hi Jon,

Is the Criterion DVD of Elevator to the Gallows going out of print? I recently tried to order it and realised that at least 3 different online retail stores (Amazon.com, Barnes and Nobles, DVDEmpire) have listed the title as discontinued. Another one (DVDPlanet) has been listed as out of stock for months.

Just curious of why it's become such a hard-to-find title all of a sudden.

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

Not to worry, the title is temporarily out of stock because we will soon begin issuing it in a different case. Unfortunately I don't have an exact date of when to expect it back in stock, but it will probably be around six weeks or so.

I hope this information is helpful! Thank you for supporting Criterion and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Best,

Jon Mulvaney

Last edited by Gobear; 11-21-10 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-21-10, 10:14 AM

That makes sense. Most of the oos dvds I mentioned, plus Tin Drum and Solaris (and Equinox), come in those extra wide, double sided cases. I should have guessed as much.
Old 11-21-10, 10:28 AM

Although just to be on the safe side, I am going to run out today and grab a copy of Heaven Can Wait, which is a single disc and doesn't need a new case, yet for some reason has disapeared as well.
Old 11-21-10, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those thicker dvd cases that Criterion puts out have a problem with wrinkly cover art - perhaps this is their addressing of this problem?
Old 11-21-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
Tin Drum
This will be receiving a director's cut re-release by Criterion, with a Blu-ray likely.
Old 11-21-10, 01:11 PM

The Nashua, NH store was good enough to call me last night to remind me that if I didn't pick up my reserved blu-ray of "The Magician" today, on Monday it wouldn't be 1/2 off anymore. Good service!
Old 11-21-10, 02:25 PM

Thankfully and sadly, I'm done with this sale. It was particularly wonderful and brutal (on the wallet) this time. Got everything I was after except the Von Sternberg set (I was told that it could not be ordered, as it was sold out chain-wide), and "The Thin Red Line", which has been sold out all over town since the sale started, and I didn't bother to order it.
Old 11-21-10, 08:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Two items were randomly cancelled from my most recent order; Ride With The Devil and Paris, Texas. Both of these are still available according to the site, so there's absolutely no logical reason for this. I've sent BN.com an email saying I want those items re-added to my order at the same price. If I re-order them myself, then I'll have to pay an extra $3.99 in shipping (to Canada). Lame.
Old 11-21-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

End up picked 2 more bluray movies: Vivre sa Vie and Revanche for $28.14 after taxes
Old 11-21-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Two items were randomly cancelled from my most recent order; Ride With The Devil and Paris, Texas. Both of these are still available according to the site, so there's absolutely no logical reason for this. I've sent BN.com an email saying I want those items re-added to my order at the same price. If I re-order them myself, then I'll have to pay an extra $3.99 in shipping (to Canada). Lame.
I ordered a small order containing Ride with the Devil today and had a shipping soon notice within an hour. My other order, which is much much larger, was not updated all day.
Old 11-22-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since the sale is almost over here is what I ended up with after the three weeks. I'll have to wait a few more days for America Lost and Found to ship.

Port of Shadows
Les Enfants Terribles
Presenting Sacha Guitry
Nikkatsu Noir
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Charade
A Christmas Tale
House
Paths of Glory
Thin Red Line
Modern Times
Seven Samurai
The Night of the Hunter
Chungking Express
The Darjeeling Limited
America Lost and Found: the BBS Story
Old 11-22-10, 12:25 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I ordered a small order containing Ride with the Devil today and had a shipping soon notice within an hour.
Well, I got a "Your order is scheduled to ship" email the day I placed my order, too. All items, including the two that were subsequently cancelled, were on that list. There were only 10 items on my order... now there are 8.

What a crock of shit.
Old 11-22-10, 12:36 AM

Well, I got a "Your order is scheduled to ship" email the day I placed my order, too. All items, including the two that were subsequently cancelled, were on that list. There were only 10 items on my order... now there are 8.

What a crock of shit.
Did you receive an e-mail telling you to mark cancel or that you were willing to wait 30 days for an item?
Old 11-22-10, 12:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Nope! That's what bothers me the most, since I know others have gotten that email. The first email said all of my items were ready to ship on the 23rd (my order includes the BBC Story box set). The second and third emails, both said the following:
We apologize, but despite our efforts, we weren't able to fulfill some or all of the items in your order, as noted below. These items have been canceled from your order.

The items were automatically cancelled, and I wasn't given any option to wait 30 days or anything like that. I'd gladly wait if I knew the items were backordered or whatever, but the items are STILL readily available.
Old 11-22-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Final Haul (Bought in this order):

House
Seven Samurai
Paths Of Glory
The Darjeeling Limited
Charade
The Magician
8 1/2
Breathless
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Days Of Heaven
Crumb
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
Gimme Shelter
In The Realm Of The Senses
Bigger Than Life
Antichrist
Antichrist (2nd copy to trade: Traded for Scott Pilgrim)
America Lost & Found: The BBS Story (25% coupon)
Videodrome (25% coupon)
Cronos (25% coupon)

Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy (25% coupon)
Modern Times
Night Of The Hunter
The Thin Red Line

Sword Of Doom
Louie Bluie
Hunger
El Norte
Old 11-22-10, 01:19 AM

I decided to add the Louis Malle Eclipse set just awhile ago (thanks to those who recommended it to me!), so all I need for my Eclipse Series collection is the Flamenco set (which is OOP but was never my priority - everyone who has it seem to say it is a must-buy). I will have to say, so far....I have not been disappointed by an Eclipse series release. Oh, and one thing, many of you have asked me if I had "The Golden Age of Television", I bought it at the beginning of the sale and started watching it and man, I love it.

OK….Final haul:

3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg
Close-Up
Crumb
Drunken Angel
Eclipse Series 1: Early Bergman
Eclipse Series 2: The Documentaries of Louis Malle
Eclipse Series 12: Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy
Eclipse Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi’s Fallen Women
Eclipse Series 14: Rossellini’s History Films—Renaissance and Enlightenment
Eclipse Series 16: Alexander Korda’s Private Lives
Eclipse Series 17: Nikkatsu Noir
Eclipse Series 20: George Bernard Shaw on Film
Eclipse Series 22: Presenting Sacha Guitry
Eclipse Series 24: The Actuality Dramas of Allan King
Early Summer
Golden Age of Television
Human Condition
Ivan’s childhood
La Ronde
Le Plaisir
Louie Bluie
The Magician
Mishima – A Life in Four Chapters
Patriotism
Thin Red Line
Mystery Train
Night on Earth
Night Train to Munich
Sawdust and Tinsel
Stranger than Paradise
Stray Dog

There are five more I want to get...but with the Warner Gangsters sets and Forbidden Hollywood sets on sale on Amazon right now for the lowest prices I have seen, these other five Criterions I want will have to wait. Hopefully they don't go OOP though.

La Bete Humain
Trouble in Paradise
Hara-Kiri
Bad Timing
Stage and Spectacle: Renoir set

I'm hoping there is a Criterion sale next year. Whoever owns B&N...hopefully they do it.

Last edited by kndy; 11-22-10 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-22-10, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

If I could have found Trouble In Paradise on a shelf anywhere, I probably would have bought it. Owned it and sold it about 5 years back. It didn't make much of an impression then, but I've been curious to see it again lately.

After thinking I was through on Saturday, I ending up printing out some more coupons (albeit the wrong ones) and hit three separate locations Sunday. Every cashier was willing to ring up the stack of coupons I gave them, but I mistook the $5 off $50 ones for $5 off a DVD, so they ended up being useless. Picked up 7 titles using three $5 offs and three 15% offs. Crunching the numbers just now, with a little more planning I could have save another $5. No big deal in the grand scheme.

Over the course of the sale, I picked up 19 of the $40 titles (two were actually $50 titles), and they all averaged out to $14.53 including tax ($13.36 pre tax). That's the kind of deal that spoils you for anything else in the future.

Here's one last batch for 2010
Crumb
Howard's End
El Norte
Seven Samurai
Lola Montes

Short Cuts
Downhill Racer

Not sure I'll keep all of these. After the euphoria of the deal dies down in a week, I'll see what I'm still interested in. I'm starting to regret not getting the DVD version of Crumb. I'm conditioned now to always go for the Bd, but optimal PQ isn't really a necessity for this one and a DVD version would have been much more flexible. Think I might have goofed there.
Old 11-22-10, 07:17 AM

Nope! That's what bothers me the most, since I know others have gotten that email. The first email said all of my items were ready to ship on the 23rd (my order includes the BBC Story box set). The second and third emails, both said the following:
We apologize, but despite our efforts, we weren't able to fulfill some or all of the items in your order, as noted below. These items have been canceled from your order.

The items were automatically cancelled, and I wasn't given any option to wait 30 days or anything like that. I'd gladly wait if I knew the items were backordered or whatever, but the items are STILL readily available.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Now that the sale is over, if they cancel something without reason again I'll call and politely ask if they can reorder again at the price I paid when I placed the order.

I really hates those cancelling without reason. As you said, I would not mind waiting for a item to be in stock even if that can take up a month. But don't cancel it like that...
Old 11-22-10, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
If I could have found Trouble In Paradise on a shelf anywhere, I probably would have bought it. Owned it and sold it about 5 years back. It didn't make much of an impression then, but I've been curious to see it again lately.
This was one of my last purchases yesterday and I'm halfway through it. It starts off rather dimly lit/creaky/hard to figure out what's going on but after about 10 minutes it all becomes quite clear and enjoyable. Can't wait to get home to finish it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.