Old 11-17-10, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: November Criterion Sale

thanks
Old 11-17-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

FYI there's some speculation that Equinox is silently going OOP (a la Harakiri).

It's bizzare that the Studio Canal titles expected to go OOP are still in print but perhaps some others are quietly dissolving.

Not to be alarmist (maybe the rumors about Equinox are false) but I wish CC would announce titles going OOP more consistently.
Old 11-17-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As with any form of art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I first saw Night Of The Hunter, what captured my attention were the framing and composition of several scenes along with the way Laughton layers on the chiaroscuro. Managing any young child actor is difficult and I felt they played their roles convincingly. I look forward to revisiting the film for the first time in at least 20 years.
To each their own.
Polanski's Repulsion was a REAL letdown on a recent viewing after seeing it shortly after it's original release; I couldn't watch the whole thing. I sure hope NOTH hasn't aged as poorly.
Old 11-18-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba111
Has Criterion indicated they plan to eventually release their entire catalog on Blu-ray? Or are there certain films, such as those in the Eclipse series, that will not be transferred over? I don't really want to double-dip if a future Blu-ray will eventually appear (even if it is years from now).

My guess is that no one knows for sure, but I wanted to ask just in case Criterion has made some kind of announcement about which I am unaware.
There is a good discussion and a list of reasonably certain future titles (including those that might be in Blu-Ray) at the Criterion Forum.

http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23
Old 11-18-10, 08:13 AM

Thanks, ResIpsa!

A very interesting link -- I've bookmarked it.
Old 11-18-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's been a good sale. over the course of 3 orders, i bought 14 BRs, 11 Eclipse box sets and the Josef Von Sternberg box set.

that's it from me for this sale. looking fwd to the next one in June '11
Old 11-18-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't actually have all of my discs, but I'm done with the sale. It got a little difficult toward the end, though. Since my dad was around that area on Tuesday, I asked him to pick up Night of the Hunter and Modern Times on Blu-ray. I knew it was asking for trouble, asking my dad to tell the difference between the DVD and the Blu-ray. I finally decided to tell him the prices to look out for, since the DVDs are cheaper. I figured there's no way my dad wouldn't look at the price tag.

Well, surprise! He picked up the DVDs. He said he looked for the titles among the Blu-rays, couldn't find them and finally asked someone. He pointed to one place and then handed my dad the other one. Purchase with $5 coupons and done. Well, so he thought.

Figuring out that my dad picked up the wrong ones, I checked the in-store availability. It looked iffy, but my dad felt bad and was going to be around there again Wednesday anyway, so he went by both stores. Both titles sold out the first day at both stores. Argh! But since my dad used the gift cards I gave him and coupons, he had the cashier exchange the DVDs and do a online order to my house. So, I got all the discounts except the membership one. Not too bad.

I know I could have, probably should have, done the same thing for the last three Blu-ray titles I purchased (Paths of Glory, Crumb and Antichrist), but I decided to just order them through the library link. Antichrist already shipped, as did Modern Times and Night of the Hunter, while Crumb and Paths of Glory have estimated ship dates of Dec. 9.

So, everything I planned on buying I have bought or ordered. I believe that's a total of 14 Blu-rays with 11 of those purchased with $5 coupons. Not too bad. I look forward to the next sale as it seems the only time that I actually buy myself any Criterion discs!
Old 11-19-10, 12:09 AM

Went into the store and they ordered a home delivery of The Thin Red Line BR for me. I was able to use the $5 off, but no 10% member discount. $16.45 after tax w/ free express shipping, I guess I'll take it.
Old 11-19-10, 02:44 AM

Got most of the Eclipse titles I wanted with the exception of the Eclipse Series 2 - Documentaries of Louis Malle. Anyone recommend that one?

Old 11-19-10, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Picked up Modern Times and House today at a local B&N store. Again no problem with the $5 coupons. However looks like I might end up with 2 copies of Modern Times. I placed a ship to home order a few weeks ago and tried to cancel it since it had not shipped yet. After I canceled I received an email a short time later saying the order had already entered the shipping process. Now I have to decide what to do with the extra copy.

I may do one more store purchase before the sale ends Sunday. Thinking of finally getting Chungking Express even though it has a digipak case since I received an email from Criterion customer service today that said they would send me a free replacement case if I purchased it. That works out great for me since I did not want to buy another case from them.
There's no Modern Times at my BN. If ever you would sell the extra copy of Modern Times to me
Old 11-19-10, 04:57 AM

Should have Modern Times and Night of the Hunter tomorrow. Not all that pleased with their expedited member shipping since with my Prime shipping from Amazon I would have had them Tuesday at the latest. Lesson here is to only buy things from the actual store (and with the additional coupons).
Old 11-19-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have $50 left to spend. I'm thinking:

For All Mankind BR
Summer Hours BR (maybe Everlasting Moments or Hunger)
Kapo EAH

Maybe the Dusan Makavajev Eclipse. I dunno, I've gotten really lucky this sale.
Old 11-19-10, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by kndy
Got most of the Eclipse titles I wanted with the exception of the Eclipse Series 2 - Documentaries of Louis Malle. Anyone recommend that one?]
Yes. I've seen about half of mine and find it extremely interesting.

One is about a car manufacturing plant in France: you just watch as all the machines and workers make the car. I believe he's trying to blur the line between man/machine.

Another is a visit to a small Minnesota town as it's small farmers are losing their way of life.

There's a short one of the Tour de France set in (if I remember) the 60s or 70s. It's amazing to watch just how different that race was back then. Spoiler: they didn't stop to use the bathroom.

Right now I'm watching Phantom India, which is amazing. Sometimes there's a bit of ethnocentrism and a hint of racism, but that just goes with the times.

Anyways, a much-recommended set.
Old 11-19-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by newginafets
There's no Modern Times at my BN. If ever you would sell the extra copy of Modern Times to me
Funny there were at least 7 copies of Modern Times at the BN I was at and close to 10 copies of House there. No The Thin Red Line though so I had to do online order for that one.

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I have $50 left to spend. I'm thinking:

For All Mankind BR
Summer Hours BR (maybe Everlasting Moments or Hunger)
Kapo EAH

Maybe the Dusan Makavajev Eclipse. I dunno, I've gotten really lucky this sale.
I definitely recommend the Summer Hours pick.
Old 11-19-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another person is interested in my extra copy but if it falls through I'll let you know.
Old 11-19-10, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I definitely recommend the Summer Hours pick.
Agreed. In my opinion, a great film.
Old 11-19-10, 01:48 PM

Opinions on The Honeymoon Killers and Sisters? I'm debating on purchasing a couple more before the sale ends.
Old 11-19-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Well, I spoke too soon. I thought my copy of Modern Times was already shipped, but I just got a delay notice. The waiting game is going to be a long one this time around. This is the first time I think I'm going to be waiting for a while outside the sale to get my movies. Still, too good of a deal to bitch too much about.
Old 11-19-10, 01:57 PM

I posted this question in the B&N coupon thread, but didn't get any response. Has anyone here used the library link? Can anyone use it or is it "supposed" to be for a certain group of people (like the AAA link)?

I'm going to put an order in this weekend and I just wanted to see what I need to know about using that link...thanks.
Old 11-19-10, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I posted this question in the B&N coupon thread, but didn't get any response. Has anyone here used the library link? Can anyone use it or is it "supposed" to be for a certain group of people (like the AAA link)?

I'm going to put an order in this weekend and I just wanted to see what I need to know about using that link...thanks.
I've used it twice with no problem. However, I saw a notice that said the library portal will close on November 30. Anyone wanting to save a few dollars with that link will need to do so quickly.
Old 11-19-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kndy
Got most of the Eclipse titles I wanted with the exception of the Eclipse Series 2 - Documentaries of Louis Malle. Anyone recommend that one?

I highly recommend Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy. Even though it is now OOP I would consider this one of the best releases by Criterion for the Eclipse label.

And, for what it's worth, I just couldn't enjoy the Travels of Hiroshi Shimizu set. I believe most who have seen it have loved them, but If you blind bought that one, I would make sure to check it out soon. Though be aware the first film in the set was the weakest.
Old 11-19-10, 02:08 PM
Cool New Member

Man, I've spent too much on this sale. I picked up on blu-ray:

Bottle Rocket
The Darjeeling Limited
Breathless
Gomorrah
Che
Paths of Glory
The Red Shoes
8 1/2
Days of Heaven

phew!
Old 11-19-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

For some bizarre reason, my store (a small one) got 7 copies of Modern Times on Blu-ray. Very odd, considering they had about one each of the older titles, and 0 of the new ones (last two months release).
Old 11-19-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received Seven Samurai on Blu-Ray yesterday, and got The Night Of The Hunter on Blu-Ray today. I placed an order for The Darjeeling Limited, Modern Times, and Revanche on Blu-Ray, and I'm still waiting for The Thin Red Line on Blu and Louie Bluie.
Old 11-19-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My last shipment made it to B&N today:

Crumb BD $13
Thin Red Line BD $13

Ordered Christmas Tale BD but it never made it...same thing last time too. Can't complain though: 13 BDs this time for $173 including Seven Samurai and Night of the Hunter for $17.50 each.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.